ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL MBB Thread @Wisconsin

Yeah. Your quite the wiseass AWS. Probably couldn't play a lick of basketball, but you know everything about it though...Pretty hilarious!!

Reactions: Nit16
Three missed free throws in the last 2 minutes. H U G E !

A very bad call on the sideline at the end, but thought PSU got the best of the officiating all in all.

Bad call by the ref at the end. Why didn't they review that to see who it went off of? It was clearly Wisconsin who touched it last?

Kind of weird. Although I have no confidence that we would have tied it. Bolton did not seem to realize that drawing a foul did nothing for us in that situation. only a 3 mattered.

Earlier in the half there was a very weird shot that Wisconsin missed and it bounced all over the place; Wisconsin got the rebound somehow. Also there was a PSU FT that bounced on the rim 3 or 4 times but didn't go in. Those two bounces were the difference.

Bad call by the ref at the end. Why didn't they review that to see who it went off of? It was clearly Wisconsin who touched it last?

Kind of weird. Although I have no confidence that we would have tied it. Bolton did not seem to realize that drawing a foul did nothing for us in that situation. only a 3 mattered.

Earlier in the half there was a very weird shot that Wisconsin missed and it bounced all over the place; Wisconsin got the rebound somehow. Also there was a PSU FT that bounced on the rim 3 or 4 times but didn't go in. Those two bounces were the difference.
It would have been 3 shots if they would have called a foul. Not to mention that the Wisconsin player blatantly knocked the ball out of bounds.

It would have been 3 shots if they would have called a foul. Not to mention that the Wisconsin player blatantly knocked the ball out of bounds.

It only would have been 3 shots if it was a shooting foul. Bolton did not seem to be making an effort to shoot. I don't know what the heck he was doing.

Wisconsin definitely knocked the ball out. It was unfair that they did not review that.

In both of those possessions they should have been looking for Reaves or Dread.

It only would have been 3 shots if it was a shooting foul. Bolton did not seem to be making an effort to shoot. I don't know what the heck he was doing.

Wisconsin definitely knocked the ball out. It was unfair that they did not review that.

You are absolutely right! I totally agree.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
They did review DJ’s call at the end, and didn’t see enough to overturn it.

Looked to me like Bolton thought that Wisconsin was going to foul, and was looking to be in the act of shooting as it happened. I think they were going to foul too if given the chance.

Bad call, but tough spot with Ra so out of control.

I think Penn State left this one get away. They basically took it to Wisconsin the entire game but couldnt make enough shots down the stretch to finish it off. Another tough loss to swallow for sure.

They did review DJ’s call at the end, and didn’t see enough to overturn it.

Looked to me like Bolton thought that Wisconsin was going to foul, and was looking to be in the act of shooting as it happened. I think they were going to foul too if given the chance.

Bad call, but tough spot with Ra so out of control.
DJ the tall bald ref is absolutely awful!! It almost seems like he actually has an ax ed to grind with Chambers. I watch alot of Big Ten games that he officiates, and he is BAD in most every one. He is one of the worst refs in the league, and believe me, that is saying something.

Amen. Guy hasn’t called one good play out of a timeout in 8 years
I’m not a big Chambers fan, but go back and watch the last Illinois game...almost every play out of a time out resulted in an easy bucket.

DJ the tall bald ref is absolutely awful!! It almost seems like he actually has an ax ed to grind with Chambers. I watch alot of Big Ten games that he officiates, and he is BAD in most every one. He is one of the worst refs in the league, and believe me, that is saying something.
He's pretty highly respected nationally. He's gotten Sweet 16 assignments the past two years, and also does plenty of higher profile A10/MAC/MAAC games.

I don't think he has an axe to grind; he is just incompetent. There were lots of non-calls on obvious fouls all afternoon. And a few times that PSU should have been called for a charge Wisconsin was hit with a blocking foul. At the end of the game, I think he saw that PSU was in the double bonus way before Wisconsin, and started trying to even things up.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I’m surprised that with our energy, pressure, and aggression, PSU could only turn over WIS 5 or 6 times.

Unlike you, I actually did play, but nice try.
You don't know me asswipe. I played also. You should talk as if you did then. Try not to be so negative. I am a huge PSU hoops fan and it gets old hearing all the negativity about t Chambers and the program. If they would fire him, they would set the program back 10-15 years instantaneously. I truly want nothing more than this program to be successful.

As far as the play out of the timeout, obviously something happened with the execution. It's not like Pat is drawing up a pass at that angle with the defender overplaying it over the top and Lamar not meeting the ball. Unless Pat talked about it in the postgame, we won't know. It's a situation where Bolton needed to take another dribble towards the wing, or kick it to Dread while Lamar seals and gets the baseline.

Do people think that all of these times that Josh or Wheeler overplay passing lanes and get steals, it's because the other team's coach drew up a bad play that allowed it to happen?

I don't think he has an axe to grind; he is just incompetent. There were lots of non-calls on obvious fouls all afternoon. And a few times that PSU should have been called for a charge Wisconsin was hit with a blocking foul. At the end of the game, I think he saw that PSU was in the double bonus way before Wisconsin, and started trying to even things up.
I agree. He is definitely incompetent..lol

You don't know me asswipe. I played also. You should talk as if you did then. Try not to be so negative. I am a huge PSU hoops fan and it gets old hearing all the negativity about t Chambers and the program. If they would fire him, they would set the program back 10-15 years instantaneously. I truly want nothing more than this program to be successful.
If there was more positive going on, I would discuss that. He’s 8 years into this and has had less on the court success than our previous two coaches. So if someone is not constantly positive then they must not know anything about basketball. Got it. If he’s recruiting well, then he’s not a very good coach. If he’s a good coach, then he’s not recruiting very well. Can’t have it both ways.

If they would fire him, they would set the program back 10-15 years instantaneously. I truly want nothing more than this program to be successful.

10-15 might be an overstatement, but it would definitely be a few years in the basement while the new coach got his system together.

People are way unrealistic about the transition period for a new coach. It can be very painful. If Pat finishes 7-13, you say that he underperformed. But realistically 10-10 would have been acceptable this year. I don't think 7-13 rises to the level of getting fired. That is saying, OK, let's go in the basement until 2022 - and then maybe we are back to the middle of the pack under a new coach.

You don't know what he was doing? Getting fouled by two different Wisconsin guys at the same time. He had no choice but to try to make the best of the lousy situation the refs placed him in. Also, at the end of the first half, a Wisconsin player launched a prayer at the buzzer and totally ran over our stationary player. Whistle swallowed. Bad zebra game. Again.

If there was more positive going on, I would discuss that. He’s 8 years into this and has had less on the court success than our previous two coaches. So if someone is not constantly positive then they must not know anything about basketball. Got it. If he’s recruiting well, then he’s not a very good coach. If he’s a good coach, then he’s not recruiting very well. Can’t have it both ways.

In all honesty, I think he is better than DeChellis and worse than Dunn.

You think the plays at the end of today's game were bad? I recall DeChellis losing games because we could not even in-bound the ball.

Ed's tournament appearance in 2011 did not materialize until he made a run in the BTT. I'm not saying it was a fluke but it was pretty darn close.

In all honesty, I think he is better than DeChellis and worse than Dunn.

You think the plays at the end of today's game were bad? I recall DeChellis losing games because we could not even in-bound the ball.

Ed's tournament appearance in 2011 did not materialize until he made a run in the BTT. I'm not saying it was a fluke but it was pretty darn close.
We lost one like that this year as well.

10-15 might be an overstatement, but it would definitely be a few years in the basement while the new coach got his system together.

People are way unrealistic about the transition period for a new coach. It can be very painful. If Pat finishes 7-13, you say that he underperformed. But realistically 10-10 would have been acceptable this year. I don't think 7-13 rises to the level of getting fired. That is saying, OK, let's go in the basement until 2022 - and then maybe we are back to the middle of the pack under a new coach.
I get what you’re saying, the problem is if they lose Stevens or Watkins, they’re looking at similar or worse results next year. Even if they both stay, there’s no history showing they will be any better. Other than the NIT last year, the constant hovering around .500 and not making the tournament every year gets old. I’d rather have an NCAA appearance every four or five years and be bad in the in between years.

Are you f’ing kidding me? A few years in the basement if we fire chambers? We are currently in 13th place in a 14 team conference WITH chambers. What a loser’s mentality.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN and Nit16
For f’s sake what low expectations you have. 5-13.
Criticizing the overall body of work, or losing at home to Rutgers or to Bradley in Cancun makes sense. Criticizing him for his job today in losing in the last possession in the Kohl Center isn't a sensible criticism.

I get what you’re saying, the problem is if they lose Stevens or Watkins, they’re looking at similar or worse results next year. Even if they both stay, there’s no history showing they will be any better. Other than the NIT last year, the constant hovering around .500 and not making the tournament every year gets old. I’d rather have an NCAA appearance every four or five years and be bad in the in between years.

Agreed. Going back to 1985 when Parkhill was hired, we've seen four coaches have a really hard time getting anything going here. And it has been even harder in the Big Ten.

So what is a reasonable measure of success for a coach here? I would set the bar a little higher than you. I'd say 4 tournament appearances every 10 years. But more importantly, finishing .500 or better in the Big Ten in the majority of years. And making a run at the Big Ten title maybe once or twice a decade. If Pat could even come close to coaching on the same level he can recruit, I think he could do that here. But he has shown that he has a lot of weaknesses as a coach.

Are you f’ing kidding me? A few years in the basement if we fire chambers? We are currently in 13th place in a 14 team conference WITH chambers. What a loser’s mentality.

How is that a loser's mentality? It's just reality. We are not the 14th team in the conference with Chambers. In fact this is the first time in PSU history that we've won five B1G games in four consecutive seasons. That is how bad things have been here.

I'd feel OK about this program if we got to a point where the down years were still close to .500 in the league, and the up years were in the top four

Criticizing the overall body of work, or losing at home to Rutgers or to Bradley in Cancun makes sense. Criticizing him for his job today in losing in the last possession in the Kohl Center isn't a sensible criticism.
It’s cumulative. 8 years now. When is enough enough for you?

Reactions: Nit16
Everyone wants a new coach until the new guy starts losing. Then they want a new coach ....again. Haven’t we done that for 50 years?

Everyone wants a new coach until the new guy starts losing. Then they want a new coach ....again. Haven’t we done that for 50 years?

We've had delusional basketball fans for a long time. When Dunn started faltering in the early 2000s, there were people who literally believed that Rick Pitino or Bob Knight would become the coach at PSU and that things would instantly be fixed.

Of course, we hired Ed DeChellis instead, and things got even worse before they got back to basically the same level as they were under Dunn.

It’s cumulative. 8 years now. When is enough enough for you?

I guess I'll know it when I see it. Could be this offseason if enough guys leave. Could be next year if things don't trend up. But to me, I like our chances of success more in 2020, 2021, and moving forward with Pat Chambers on the sideline than I do with John Becker, Tim Cluess, Dwayne Stephens, Kyle Smith, etc.

We have the worst building in the Big Ten, the worst fanbase, the worst group of assistants (part of what happens when you have the worst financial support for your program). I guess rather than fix those other things, we should expect John Becker to come in and bring on the glory days with a depleted roster (hint, that's what it will be without Pat next year).

Or are you living in the dream world where we'll fire Pat and hire Mark Few away from Gonzaga?

Irrational sports fans are a funny bunch. Nebraska boards want Miles fired, Minnesota boards want Richard P fired, Northwestern fans think it's time to move on from Collins, Maryland fans have had it with Turgeon, Indiana fans think Miller is underachieving. I guess it's just a situation where every school sucks at finding a coach.

How is that a loser's mentality? It's just reality. We are not the 14th team in the conference with Chambers. In fact this is the first time in PSU history that we've won five B1G games in four consecutive seasons. That is how bad things have been here.

I'd feel OK about this program if we got to a point where the down years were still close to .500 in the league, and the up years were in the top four
Your threshold for happiness is now winning 5 games a season for a few straight years in a 20 game conference schedule? Come on. I usually enjoy your well thought out posts, so I’m not personally attacking you. His conference record isn’t as good as Ed’s in the same amount of time with no NCAA bid. Come on, raise your expectations

I guess I'll know it when I see it. Could be this offseason if enough guys leave. Could be next year if things don't trend up. But to me, I like our chances of success more in 2020, 2021, and moving forward with Pat Chambers on the sideline than I do with John Becker, Tim Cluess, Dwayne Stephens, Kyle Smith, etc.

We have the worst building in the Big Ten, the worst fanbase, the worst group of assistants (part of what happens when you have the worst financial support for your program). I guess rather than fix those other things, we should expect John Becker to come in and bring on the glory days with a depleted roster (hint, that's what it will be without Pat next year).

Or are you living in the dream world where we'll fire Pat and hire Mark Few away from Gonzaga?

Irrational sports fans are a funny bunch. Nebraska boards want Miles fired, Minnesota boards want Richard P fired, Northwestern fans think it's time to move on from Collins, Maryland fans have had it with Turgeon, Indiana fans think Miller is underachieving. I guess it's just a situation where every school sucks at finding a coach.
So don’t fire a loser coach after 8 years because we need $150M for a new stadium? Win and they will come. The reason fans don’t show up is because the product on the court is trash and has been trash. I’ve argued for Howland before he went to MsSU, and now would go after the former OSU coach.

Your threshold for happiness is now winning 5 games a season for a few straight years in a 20 game conference schedule? Come on. I usually enjoy your well thought out posts, so I’m not personally attacking you. His conference record isn’t as good as Ed’s in the same amount of time with no NCAA bid. Come on, raise your expectations
Out of context, completely

I literally explained my expectations in a different post, in great detail. And they were much higher than that. Regarding the five wins, you can see my own words which qualify that with "that's how bad things have been here"

Out of context, completely

I literally explained my expectations in a different post, in great detail. And they were much higher than that. Regarding the five wins, you can see my own words which qualify that with "that's how bad things have been here"
Why is his conference record and NCAA appearances worse than Ed. I assume you’re counting Ed in your “how bad it’s been for a while”. I’m no Ed fan by the way.

ADVERTISEMENT