ADVERTISEMENT

Official Graham Spanier trial thread.

I thought you can't appeal the verdict in a jury trial, only something procedural in the trial??

So, jurors believed MM and didn't believe all others and believed GS had a hand in telling Curely to tell Raykovitch that no sexual contact occurred?

Don't necessarily agree with the verdict, but perhaps the jury felt that, as President of the University, once Spanier got the report from Curley/Schultz as to a potential problem (and given the vagueness of their report), he had a duty to contact the witness himself, or further investigate the complaint, or at least insure that the restrictions placed on Sandusky going forward were actually enforced.
But he's not a police investigator.

Well, (in defense of Talpsu ;)), this is the first I've heard of a football game for charity MM participated in with JS. Do you recall who the charity event was for?

I think Talpsu was just mixing this football game with other second Mile golf outings (IIRC) that MM reportedly took part in post 2001.
Turkey bowl held on state college high field I was there they where both apart An yucked it up

Reactions: WeR0206 and psu00
So, jurors believed MM and didn't believe all others and believed GS had a hand in telling Curely to tell Raykovitch that no sexual contact occurred?

Mike McQueary, the ear witness and only person with any real spec of knowledge of what might have happened that night. Walks away from this as a millionaire while Spanier now needs to win an appeal to avoid spending who knows how much of the rest of his life in jail. I become a bigger and bigger fan of Adrian Coxson's every day.

But he's not a police investigator.

Again - not saying I necessarily agree - but if he's the one making the determination not to go to the police or child welfare services, perhaps he has a duty, as the President of the University, to insure that he has all the necessary information to properly make that determination and not just rely on the vague "horseplay in a shower" reports from his underlings -- especially if he was aware of the 1998 investigation. I could see a jury saying he failed in that regard. Not a conspiracy, not malice aforethought - but simply he should've done more.

I could be wrong but I believe that the conviction was also a misdemeanor (like Curley/Schultz). At least I just read a report of that.

Wait, isn't Spanier's boss the board of trustees? So, they should be guilty, too?

Well first off, the statute of limitations is passed. Second they were never told of abuse, and finally they didn't have direct oversight of the victims.

Well first off, the statute of limitations is passed. Second they were never told of abuse, and finally they didn't have direct oversight of the victims.

On the last 2, neither was and did Spanier, yet here we are....

So not guilty on the conspiracy charge...holding my breath and waiting for all the media and talk show hosts to apologize for slamming PSU for their conspiracy to cover up for Sandusky now that it's been proven in court they were wrong.

So not guilty on the conspiracy charge...holding my breath and waiting for all the media and talk show hosts to apologize for slamming PSU for their conspiracy to cover up for Sandusky now that it's been proven in court they were wrong.
You will be dead shortly.

I think @fairgambit is correct. I am out of here for a bit. There's really no point. I have better things to do with my life. This is a very sad day for anyone who once loved Penn State.
I rarely, if ever, posted prior to this shitstorm. I was a dedicated lurker primarily to see what was going on with the FB team. Good source of information. Now, I will be joining you. This sucks the air right out me. It was good interacting with most here, but time to "move on". Put up a good fight, but after the events of today anyone should see we never had a chance. Justice American style. Frank Sheeran called it. And we wonder why Kapernick did what he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
I'm embarrassed to live in this state. I'd love to hear how they arrived at this verdict.

My guess is they felt they had to find something so they chose that and then lessened it down to a misdemenor. so out of like 22 felony charges the state ends up with 3 misdemeanor counts? Yikes. If I was Shapiro I wouldn't be crowing about it but
hey thats just me. I understand a loss when I am involved in one.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeR0206 and nits74
I think @fairgambit is correct. I am out of here for a bit. There's really no point. I have better things to do with my life. This is a very sad day for anyone who once loved Penn State.
It is indeed a sad day. When I am not in the courtroom, I generally believe the verdict was just because the jury heard all the testimony and saw the demeanor of the witnesses. That said, this conviction shocks me.

It is indeed a sad day. When I am not in the courtroom, I generally believe the verdict was just because the jury heard all the testimony and saw the demeanor of the witnesses. That said, this conviction shocks me.
Times.....that are a changin'......people have individually and collectively become "lazy thinkers".

No one wants to "make a stand and intelligently explain their thoughts" out of concern that they might be labeled something untoward or that it's "just too much effort"

I rarely, if ever, posted prior to this shitstorm. I was a dedicated lurker primarily to see what was going on with the FB team. Good source of information. Now, I will be joining you. This sucks the air right out me. It was good interacting with most here, but time to "move on". Put up a good fight, but after the events of today anyone should see we never had a chance. Justice American style. Frank Sheeran called it. And we wonder why Kapernick did what he did.
The scarlet letter has been made permanent. This conviction guarantees that this university will be forever tied to the abuse of children.

felony, in his case....C&S pleaded it down to a misdemeanor.
The jury changed the EWOC charge to a misdemeanor. What a waste of taxpayer $ and AOG time that could have been spent on something constructive. All this time & money for a couple misdemeanor charges.
AOG & media will spin it as a victory, but this was a big swing & a miss for the AOG considering they started with 5 Felony charges

The jury changed the EWOC charge to a misdemeanor. What a waste of taxpayer $ and AOG time that could have been spent on something constructive. All this time & money for a couple misdemeanor charges.
AOG & media will spin it as a victory, but this was a big swing & a miss for the AOG considering they started with 5 Felony charges

Abosofn'lutely. Shapiro and his idiot minions should be ashamed of a lot of things but him getting up there grandstanding about striking out is a freaking joke.
3 misdemeanor charges out of 14 (?) is and should be seen as an EPIC failure on he and his idiot staff.

Reactions: wensilver
So if Curley & Schultz didn't plea to a misdemeanor would the jury not done so? Anyone involved with the TSM and child services must be taking a big sigh of relief. Lubert is smiling that he did the right thing in settling with the "victims." Corbett is raising a glass of Champaign and having a good laugh. Freeh, while not a conspiracy, is feeling good that the three are guilty of something. MM waiting to cash his cheque and no need to feel guilty if they don't do jail time. Old guard BOT gets to crow that they did the right thing. Joyner made out like a bandit and probably doesn't realize how much he screwed up or doesn't care cause he's got his pension. The losers, CS&S, Paterno, and PSU alumni. In other words, not much has changed.

I'm inclined to believe that Joe was right when he told MM that Old Main screwed up. I don't believe for one minute that there was any conspiracy or cover-up, or that there was any criminal intent.

But they did screw up, by not making sure that MM reported directly to the proper authorities by doing so themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT