ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line: Same starting 5 likely for opener....

21Guns

Dec 10, 2013
Bellefonte
Franklins' latest quote, and I apologize that I don't have the link, but it IS a quote..."The center job is Mangiros' to lose, Reihner is a 'bonus' and they will 'compete' for the job over camp"....seems somehow disheartening. I, like many, was under the impression that Reihner was brought in to play, not to sit. Many of us also were of the belief that Franklin would make the necessary changes to strengthen the line, seeing what we all saw too clearly in the spring game.

Now, hey, we could all be wrong, and maybe Franklin really is sticking to his belief that he wants the same continuity on that line that he had in the spring: I.E., playing the same starting five from the spring to the opener, but boy, this seems like the same story as 2014 right now. Long way from late May to early September though, so who knows, maybe this same five puts it together...but many of us thought Reihner would play center, Mangiro would move either to his natural guard spot, or go to right tackle, and Nelson would come in to play the left tackle, which frankly looked like the two younger kids weren't quite ready for.

However, today's quote by Franklin, looks like this line stays as is for 2015. Oh well, hang on tight and hope that this defense can win us 7 or 8 games this year, and maybe Hack and the receivers get this communication thing down better so that those quick patterns turn into a few breakaways this fall, but I don't see being able to run the ball as an option this year, any more than last year, at least not right now.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Fall will tell the tale. He should say Mangiro has inside track considering he played last year, competed in spring practice, and they don't know what they have in Reiner yet. Notice that he said they will compete and I think the starting line depends a lot on how much weight Paris Palmer can put on and how he performs. Just go by how many true freshmen played last year. The best will play.

Reactions: WeR0206
Honestly what do you think Franklin is going say when Reihner hasn't even participated in one practice yet? I wouldn't read to much into that.

Reactions: Bygsky
I wouldn't read too much into it. Fall will tell the tale. He should say Mangiro has inside track considering he played last year, competed in spring practice, and they don't know what they have in Reiner yet. Notice that he said they will compete and I think the starting line depends a lot on how much weight Paris Palmer can put on and how he performs. Just go by how many true freshmen played last year. The best will play.

It's more the idea that the staff is tied into keeping Mangiro at center, which basically puts the same five on the field. If not, great, and if the same five improves from the spring into the fall, then also great.

Just some concern, seeing what happened last year, and from seeing what happened in the spring game.

It's more the idea that the staff is tied into keeping Mangiro at center, which basically puts the same five on the field. If not, great, and if the same five improves from the spring into the fall, then also great.

Just some concern, seeing what happened last year, and from seeing what happened in the spring game.
How on earth can you pencil in a kid who has never ever taken even a practice snap for PSU??? Nothing against the kid but how could you look the other guys in the eye??? At leasts make it a camp battle!!! Let it settle out on the field. At least the kids will respect that.

When the talk first started about Reihner, there was a certain segment who did not want him.

He did not start at Stanford.

He was brought in for insurance and basically a 'free scholarship' at a position of need because we had available scholarships.

Anyone who thought he was a sure starter simply was not paying attention.

Franklin stating that he would compete is pure coach speak. How could he say anything else?

The difference between this year and last year is that last year we had maybe 6 or 7 offensive linemen and no depth.

This year we have about 10 linemen, with an overall increase in talent and numbers.

Maybe we can run, maybe not, but I see the Oline being substantially better.

Reactions: WeR0206
Is the issue with the WRs communication with Hack or is it that the young WRs had difficulty getting separation?

The OL will miss Smith & Dieff but the others should improve. They will still struggle but they should have a bit more depth. I expect Reihner to get lots of PT even if he doesn't start. The bigger question is how much PT Palmer gets and if any true freshmen play at all.

It's May and come fall he is going to play the best five, depending on situation. There is no accepted science that is blind to new discovery.

L-R Palmer-Mahon-Reihner-Mangiro-Nelson. If Mangiro stays at C, Gaia at RG.

I think therein lies the rub. How can you determine if Mangiro is better at C with Reihner as backup or at RG with Reihner as C in the limited time before fall?

Some reps will have to be sacrificed in order to give each a fair shot.

I think therein lies the rub. How can you determine if Mangiro is better at C with Reihner as backup or at RG with Reihner as C in the limited time before fall?

Some reps will have to be sacrificed in order to give each a fair shot.
They'll know after about 5 practices in pads

Franklins' latest quote, and I apologize that I don't have the link, but it IS a quote..."The center job is Mangiros' to lose, Reihner is a 'bonus' and they will 'compete' for the job over camp"....seems somehow disheartening. I, like many, was under the impression that Reihner was brought in to play, not to sit. Many of us also were of the belief that Franklin would make the necessary changes to strengthen the line, seeing what we all saw too clearly in the spring game.

Now, hey, we could all be wrong, and maybe Franklin really is sticking to his belief that he wants the same continuity on that line that he had in the spring: I.E., playing the same starting five from the spring to the opener, but boy, this seems like the same story as 2014 right now. Long way from late May to early September though, so who knows, maybe this same five puts it together...but many of us thought Reihner would play center, Mangiro would move either to his natural guard spot, or go to right tackle, and Nelson would come in to play the left tackle, which frankly looked like the two younger kids weren't quite ready for.

However, today's quote by Franklin, looks like this line stays as is for 2015. Oh well, hang on tight and hope that this defense can win us 7 or 8 games this year, and maybe Hack and the receivers get this communication thing down better so that those quick patterns turn into a few breakaways this fall, but I don't see being able to run the ball as an option this year, any more than last year, at least not right now.

This sounds like a pantherlair panic post!

There is a LOT to be said with another year of growth and strength training for the OL guy that have been OL guys, as for the converted DL guys I guess it would be more about technique and leverage. I am guardedly optimistic. Reiner and Palmer add REAL depth, plus they can now plug in one or two of the RS freshman for depth. LOOK, OSU "claimed" they had this super young OL last year, yet 7 of there 10 guys on the two deep have been in the PROGRAM for 3 years. It is ALL about physical growth/strength. On occasion you can play 1-2 guys that are younger but they best be REAL 4-5 star guys. Big difference when a 19 year old goes up against a 22 year old :)

I thing we will be better on the OL and the schedule for the first 6 games will give them a chance to get even better. The "best" DL we will face is Rutgers ??????

Last edited:

Not sure if he actually has to beat Mangiro out. IMO, he just has bring to the OL a higher net worth than someone like Gaia. Reiner takes over center and allow Mangiro to slide over to RG. With that said, based on CJF's comments I'm not sure if that will even happen. Personally, the scholie Reiner got was effectively a free one with no impact to the program and I not sure why people were penciling Reiner as a starter. If he does great, like CJF comments, a bonus. I don't see a big impact either way.

Not sure if he actually has to beat Mangiro out. IMO, he just has bring to the OL a higher net worth than someone like Gaia. Reiner takes over center and allow Mangiro to slide over to RG. With that said, based on CJF's comments I'm not sure if that will even happen. Personally, the scholie Reiner got was effectively a free one with no impact to the program and I not sure why people were penciling Reiner as a starter. If he does great, like CJF comments, a bonus. I don't see a big impact either way.

I think the fact that he has 4 years under his belt at a Div I school and played in 10 games would give people the impression that he is a 22 year old with experience and not a 19 year old who is learning on the job.

If you are sliding Mangiro over to guard, it makes more sense to have him at left guard, than right guard. If you watched the same BW game that I did, our starting left guard was manhandled by our backup defensive tackles, with the exception of ONE play.

I think that most people had Reihner penciled into C because overall the middle of the OL was so weak last year - barely at a D1 level. The assumption that any player who had gotten playing time at a legit OL program like Stanford would likely be better than anyone we had in that middle. The middle of the OL was also not really that young in terms of age and class. - so maybe we were not expecting much improvement from those players.

I assume most will just ignore CF comments, and we will know middle August who will start. We may actually get a true FR challenge, given some of that talent.

I think that most people had Reihner penciled into C because overall the middle of the OL was so weak last year - barely at a D1 level. The assumption that any player who had gotten playing time at a legit OL program like Stanford would likely be better than anyone we had in that middle. The middle of the OL was also not really that young in terms of age and class. - so maybe we were not expecting much improvement from those players.

I assume most will just ignore CF comments, and we will know middle August who will start. We may actually get a true FR challenge, given some of that talent.

Bates.

And I agree. He's ready.

I think the fact that he has 4 years under his belt at a Div I school and played in 10 games would give people the impression that he is a 22 year old with experience and not a 19 year old who is learning on the job.

Exactly how much experience do you get in garbage minutes?? I think he played garbage minutes in 4 games last year, IMO, that doesn't exactly instill confidence in his experience level. There are plenty of OL out there that never start through out their FB career and only play garbage minutes, doesn't mean if they show up here we pencil them in as starters. Reality is if CJF really though Reihner was going to come in here and take down the starting center position, he would have not been one of the last ships we give out the day before LOI and only after we found out we could give 3 more.

BTW, who is 19 and learning on the job??? Mahon is a RS soph, and Gaia and Dowrey are both RS Jrs.

Exactly how much experience do you get in garbage minutes?? I think he played garbage minutes in 4 games last year, IMO, that doesn't exactly instill confidence in his experience level. There are plenty of OL out there that never start through out their FB career and only play garbage minutes, doesn't mean if they show up here we pencil them in as starters. Reality is if CJF really though Reihner was going to come in here and take down the starting center position, he would have not been one of the last ships we give out the day before LOI and only after we found out we could give 3 more.

BTW, who is 19 and learning on the job??? Mahon is a RS soph, and Gaia and Dowrey are both RS Jrs.
He had two starts.

ADVERTISEMENT