ADVERTISEMENT

Off site parking yesterday

Strick73

Feb 2, 2005
Any comments on off site parking yesterday. Any problems before or after with shuttle buses? Were you able to tailgate?

Thinking they might do this for Maryland game.

We fared better than most. Tailgate at house. We’re green lot west so we’re able to park on pavement in lot to right of normal left turn into Stadium off Park. A few people were tailgating but getting in and out was pretty easy. Think we were just luckier than most.

Always they same answers no matter what . Poorly planned ?
Yes the traffic patterns were a mess and the wait lines were way too long. We waited an hour and others , behind us waited longer. So yes, had the traffic patterns been more fluid there would not not have been as many problems.

Reactions: BBrown
Traffic = poorly planned? Maybe the police should have sorted people on 322, 99, and Atherton to get them out of the way of the buses. Or maybe Penn State could have controlled the weather so thousands of cars were not delayed hour + trying to get to campus and the offsite lots. Damn them.

Best option, to me, is Fullington Shuttle, even if you have a yellow pass. North Atherton route. Park at Toftrees get $5 round trip ticket that costs $10 if you buy it on the bus, get dropped off at bull barn on Fox Hollow and short walk to stadium. Why screw around by being out by the mall, the Grange, etc. we did that yesterday and it worked out great.

I didn't want to try the shuttle thing off campus so we took a chance. Parked in Pugh St. garage,left my house at 5,(Reading/Lancaster area) arrived at 7:30 ,went through 2or 3 snow squalls, lucky no ice on roads. Temp dropped from my house to state college41 to 28. I feel for everyone ,easily could of been us.

Took a catabus to and from Waffle House N.Atherton, came back into down town,had to kill some time so we shopped and then went to champs. We then went back to our car, dressed and then headed to the game.
After the game as we were walking down to our car, I'm glad we got a space in the garage because as stated it looked crazy packed on the side walks waiting for the buses.

I didn't want to try the shuttle thing off campus so we took a chance. Parked in Pugh St. garage,left my house at 5,(Reading/Lancaster area) arrived at 7:30 ,went through 2or 3 snow squalls, lucky no ice on roads. Temp dropped from my house to state college41 to 28. I feel for everyone ,easily could of been us.

I took a catabus to and from Waffle House N.Atherton, came back into down town,had to kill some time so we shopped and then went to champs. We then went back to our car, dressed and then headed to the game.
After the game as we were walking down to our car, I'm glad we got a space in the garage because as stated it looked crazy packed on the side walks waiting for the buses.

I took the bus from Hills Plazza... it was a mess. I got in line at 11:00 AM. The line was unbelievably long and it took a long time for busses to get there. I finally got on a bus at 11:50 AM... that was 50 minutes standing in line. When I boarded there were at least a hundred people waiting for additional busses to come and get them. Needless to say I didn’t get to my seats until mid way through the first quarter. I wouldn’t want to guess how long it took for the people that were still in line after I boarded the bus...to get to their seats. Overall when you consider the fact that CATA knew what was going to happen well before Saturday, I thought they did a very poor job handling the situation.

I arrived at the Grange Fair lot at 10 am. I actually parked at the Grange Fair lot at 11 am because there was no one directing traffic and the way they handed out permits to the cars was crazy. By the time we collected out stuff and used the bathroom, it was 11:15 am before we were in line for buses. It was nearly 12:30 before we got on a bus. They told us they were running 16 buses. Got to the stadium just in time to see the end of the first quarter. We left early in the fourth quarter so we didn't have to go through that again.

Poorly organized. I won't use any of the remote lots again.

Best option, to me, is Fullington Shuttle, even if you have a yellow pass. North Atherton route. Park at Toftrees get $5 round trip ticket that costs $10 if you buy it on the bus, get dropped off at bull barn on Fox Hollow and short walk to stadium. Why screw around by being out by the mall, the Grange, etc. we did that yesterday and it worked out great.

I usually park on campus at the Westgate Building without a prepaid permit but it seemed that wouldn't be an option for me on Saturday, so I did this and it worked out fine. I waited about 30-45 minutes in line after the game. I think they only had 2 buses on this route, so a third would have been nice but it wasn't a big deal. If the same parking situation is in place for the MD game, I will probably do this same thing.

I am thinking about going to MD. If I do, I'll take some bikes and bike in (weather permitting). My son has a line on tOSU/UM tickets to that may be the game I visit. If so, it'll be the first time in 13 years since I missed a PSU season.

Any comments on off site parking yesterday. Any problems before or after with shuttle buses? Were you able to tailgate?

Thinking they might do this for Maryland game.

Ive been using the Shuttle for the last 10 years and like it.
My only complaint is I wish it would run a little longer after the game. I think they stop it after 90 minutes.
As for this past Sat. I didn't have issues but I know a lot of people did.
The person I was with has a pretty pronounced limp and the cold weather makes it worse so we left with about
8 minutes left in the game.
When we got to BJC the line up for the busses was more chaotic than usual. Normally they have a gate set up for the South Atherton shuttle and then further down the side walk is the Down Town shuttle. This time it seemed to be which ever bus got their first and they were stopping and spots that were out of the norm.
We got on a pretty crowded bus but we only had to wait about 10 minutes.
I heard that the lines afterward were really, really bad.

Reactions: bohucon
It was very poorly planned and organized...eg traffic and wait times.

Yes couple all that with what I think was more fans than they expected and then all the road construction that is going on around State College (Easterly PKW.) and thats what you got.

Yes the traffic patterns were a mess and the wait lines were way too long. We waited an hour and others , behind us waited longer. So yes, had the traffic patterns been more fluid there would not not have been as many problems.

The traffic patterns (at least for the South Atherton) bus have been altered all season. I know the bus has taken some different routes to and from the stadium for some of the games. Easterly Pkw around the Elementary school has been closed all season and I think thats whats causing some of it.

I took the bus from Hills Plazza... it was a mess. I got in line at 11:00 AM. The line was unbelievably long and it took a long time for busses to get there. I finally got on a bus at 11:50 AM... that was 50 minutes standing in line. When I boarded there were at least a hundred people waiting for additional busses to come and get them. Needless to say I didn’t get to my seats until mid way through the first quarter. I wouldn’t want to guess how long it took for the people that were still in line after I boarded the bus...to get to their seats. Overall when you consider the fact that CATA knew what was going to happen well before Saturday, I thought they did a very poor job handling the situation.

I always park on Rolling Ridge Drive. Normally we are the very first stop with an empty bus but this time it was already full, so I have no idea of the route it took but it was different than the previous 10 years I've been parking there. Our stop had a bout 20 people, which is about 15 more than usual. But some of the other stops, especially the main one across from Weiss and next to the McDonalds and tire place was packed with people.

They're going to have to change things up for Maryland. Either add more buses or more parking areas.

I always park on Rolling Ridge Drive. Normally we are the very first stop with an empty bus but this time it was already full, so I have no idea of the route it took but it was different than the previous 10 years I've been parking there. Our stop had a bout 20 people, which is about 15 more than usual. But some of the other stops, especially the main one across from Weiss and next to the McDonalds and tire place was packed with people.
Where do you park? on the street?

Maybe you should have got in line at 10:00.
What do people expect when everybody waits until the last minute to arrive.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Maybe you should have got in line at 10:00.
What do people expect when everybody waits until the last minute to arrive.

Have you read any of the posts about trying to get to the game from the Altoona end?
Maybe they were stuck in traffic.
There could be a lot of reasons as to why they, were late.
Or maybe he's parked there before and the 11:00 time was always good for him.
There could be a lot of reasons.

Some people missed earlier buses because they were tailgating too long. I have one dumb ass friend that didn't take some of the earlier ones that he saw space on and then he ended up missing half of the 1st quarter. I just laughed at him. He even admitted he was a dumb ass for acting like a student and waiting until last minute.

Have you read any of the posts about trying to get to the game from the Altoona end?
Maybe they were stuck in traffic.
There could be a lot of reasons as to why they, were late.
Or maybe he's parked there before and the 11:00 time was always good for him.
There could be a lot of reasons.
Maybe, maybe not.

I would contend that if between Fullington and CATA they can clear the area after the game in less than 90 minutes that is pretty damn good considering there was over 60+ buses in an area where they are normally less than 10. Heard many of the traffic issues prior to the game were not only because of the accidents but lots of folks with no permits or yellow permits still trying to park on campus, especially the mess on Porter. A buddy has a son that is an AO and his son said he saw almost as many yellow permits coming up Porter as he sees when everything is open. If that is the case those folks are idiots.

One thing to consider is that for those coming in off 99 or 80, there were a ton of accidents due to the snow squalls, so the arrival of traffic wasn't nearly as spread out as it could have been.

One thing to consider is that for those coming in off 99 or 80, there were a ton of accidents due to the snow squalls, so the arrival of traffic wasn't nearly as spread out as it could have been.

Yea I've been reading and hearing, at the game, horror stories of 99 and Port Matilda.
Let me get into my Way Back Machine but I remember getting to PSU in the 80's from Somerset, PA we had to go over
Cresson Moutain. There were a lot of white knuckles and permanent indentations on the steering wheel. That place was like
the Easts version of the Donnor Pass. I swear you could hit black ice and snow squall in Sept.

Reactions: 81b&w and mhep32
Here is how ours went. We left my house at about 9:30am (live 30 mins away). We got stuck in the I99 jam and did not get around that until about 10:55am. Our goal from the start was PSU golf courses. We got there and the lot was full. Back to Raytheon which was now full also so we were now by Accuweather. There was already people waiting 40 mins for a bus so we hopped in line.

Lots were full of people trying to hide beers and what not because they probably did not know if it was allowed. Fast forward to about 12pm and we are still waiting and every bus was passing to a different lot. Finally we had enough and quickly walked about 0.25 miles to the next stop over where there were like 2 empty busses and almost no people in line. We got on and had the bus drive to where we were at before. At this point it worked out for us because people that were in front of us in that line got left behind.

We got to the seats with 4:00 left in the 1st Qtr. We stayed until the very end and then waited about 35 mins in line for the bus. It seemed as if route #21 had 5 times as many busses as route #12. We finally got back to the car and smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Luckily, I have a purple pass for MD so Innovation Park and quick shuttle will be much more convenient.

The section of I99 east of State College was really bad at 8:00AM when we came into town. PennDOT hadn't put down any salt, and all the overpasses were icy. You had to craw over the overpasses to avoid spinning out. We passed a car that had crashed into the wall on one of the overpasses and saw multiple cars stuck in the ditch.

I left the house at 10:50, got to Champs at 11:00, had nachos and few beers, left at noon, parked at creamery, got a milkshake and walked over.

There were quite a few people who parked at Champs and used Uber to get to game, I heard them talking.

I left the house at 10:50, got to Champs at 11:00, had nachos and few beers, left at noon, parked at creamery, got a milkshake and walked over.

There were quite a few people who parked at Champs and used Uber to get to game, I heard them talking.
Great day for a milkshake. o_O

I got a milkshake because I was there and had to wait in line with my wife anyway, I dont like ice cream. Her ice cream didnt melt at all on the walk over to the game.
I was shocked how many students were already leaving, thousands. They either dont know how to dress or are soft.

Anyway, the point of my post was that there were two hundred open spaces in the deck at game time, and there was no charge.
So next time, hide your pass so the cops dont re-route you, and park close.

I got a milkshake because I was there and had to wait in line with my wife anyway, I dont like ice cream. Her ice cream didnt melt at all on the walk over to the game.
I was shocked how many students were already leaving, thousands. They either dont know how to dress or are soft.

Anyway, the point of my post was that there were two hundred open spaces in the deck at game time, and there was no charge.

I'm going to go with "Don't know how to dress" for a large part of them.
I saw students walking to the game in shorts and one girl had sandals.:rolleyes:
I see the same thing when I drive to work and see kids waiting for the bus in tshirts and no jacket
and its 30º outside.:rolleyes:

Reactions: step.eng69

I am guessing only reason there was not a charge was because of the chaos that was expected. It is normally $25.

Whatever folks did or didn’t like about “the previous regime”, there is one thing that is/was dramatically different.

All of those “little things” surrounding game day (which sometimes aren’t really so little) were properly handled.
Parking.... staffing..... getting folks into the stadium..... ushers..... refuse cleanup inside and outside stadium..... etc etc.

All of that stuff was handled, handled well, handled consistently - to the point that none of it was ever really noticed.

Everyone knows my feelings wrt how Barbour is driving the PSU ICA finances off of a cliff..... (FWIW: The BLOG is up with the latest ICA financial presentation to the BOT)

But from Day One - well before all of the long-term issues began to coagulate - the inability to handle any of those “simple” little things, without tripping over their own dicks, should have set off warning bells and red sirens.

It is what it is.
They are too busy worrying about taking down any tributes to Joe after everyone goes into the stadium than to worry about the simple things you have noted.

With the stories being shared here if anyone knows an Uber driver let'em know that State College will be the place to be in 2 weeks.

UBER drivers from everywhere flock to State College on football weekends. UBER drivers from Altoona, Harrisburg, etc make the trip to State College for football weekends because the demand is so high which drives up the prices and they make more money.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT