ADVERTISEMENT

Off-Season (NCAA-wise) Fun, Wrestling-wise?

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Just curious what everyone's Spring/Summer wrestling mode is?

Things like;
Love freestyle, so I immerse myself in off-season freestyle tournaments, including all U.S. competitions leading up to and including the World Cup.

Or...hate freestyle, just keep up with news by hanging around this forum.

Do you take this time off to rejuvenate (Time with family, etc.)?

I'm anal about all things wrestling, and this is 24/7/365 for me?

Whatever?

Reactions: doublehaul
Currently because of my passion for wrestling, I have restraining orders from Coach Cael and PSU wrestling......

Just Kidding!...Although I'm not that obsessed, I wind up checking this board several times a day as well as the Hawkeye Report and Flo. I look forward to new threads and comments from fellow fans. I follow all the US stuff and look forward to next year.

Are there any other recommendations on sites I should follow?

Reactions: doublehaul
I watch what freestyle I can but it's not a priority. WTTs are important. Luckily I can schedule my occasional insomnia to kick in on nights when an event is just starting at 4 am in Turkey or wherever. Wish FS weren't corrupt and hadn't just introduced more bad rules, or I"d like it even more. So long as t's the only game in town to see the guys I rooted for in college, I'll watch though.

Reactions: nitlion6
I just am not a fan of freestyle. I like the fact, that in folkstyle, a wrestler who might not be the better guy on his feet can even out the match by riding tough and scoring on the mat.

Wish FS weren't corrupt and hadn't just introduced more bad rules, or I"d like it even more.

Tikk hit the nail on the head for me. Just can’t get in to freestyle for the above reasons. I still follow because of the guys, but not the same level.

First thing in the morning I check my email and check this board and keep up during the day (obviously...;)).

I also go around to various other boards and sites each day at some point, but since there isn’t a lot going on, doesn’t take as much time or have as much content as in season.

I must not be as patient as when I was young because I started counting down the days to next season a couple weeks ago….

Tikk hit the nail on the head for me. Just can’t get in to freestyle for the above reasons. I still follow because of the guys, but not the same level.

First thing in the morning I check my email and check this board and keep up during the day (obviously...;)).

I also go around to various other boards and sites each day at some point, but since there isn’t a lot going on, doesn’t take as much time or have as much content as in season.

I must not be as patient as when I was young because I started counting down the days to next season a couple weeks ago….

I'm with tikk and Gebmo. I don't like a lot of the freestyle rules but it is the only way to follow the guys post college. I never really followed it much until recently mainly because it wasn't on TV or online very often. Even the Olympic coverage was pretty sparse until recently.

P.S. I do not have a count down of days until the season starts, but I will once the schedule comes out. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: flaygik
Hate free style. Ref's have way too much influence on the outcomes (passivity calls especially). Rules are vague (2 points for an almost TD). The sport is waaay too corrupt (see any tournament involving Russian refs). And what's this about one 1 entrant per country? That's just dumb.
That said... I follow it closely and watch intensely every chance I get. I then complain about everything I just said above and swear off FS... until the next tournament.

Reactions: Gebmo
Wrestling is wrestling to me but I do love the drama and intensify the college season. Nothing like it. The fact that greats like DT Are reaching next level goals makes Frestyle fine with me. There is no Gable or Cael
Story without the international success.

I watch what freestyle I can but it's not a priority. WTTs are important. Luckily I can schedule my occasional insomnia to kick in on nights when an event is just starting at 4 am in Turkey or wherever. Wish FS weren't corrupt and hadn't just introduced more bad rules, or I"d like it even more. So long as t's the only game in town to see the guys I rooted for in college, I'll watch though.

I saw 4 am and Turkey and thought we had a common interest ( I hunt them) but as I read further I realized we did not. Other then our freestyle disdain.

Might not like it, but freestyle is the next step for the guys on the team we love, so I'm following it about 50% of the level I follow folk.

I did go to Beat the Streets, though, so maybe I have it worse than I think.

Love me some Freestyle! Especially since they did away with the ball grab.

Here's a point:
There are some serious wrestling fans here, and there are varying degrees of enthusiasm for following Freestyle, but

No one even mentions Greco.
Just my preference, but I'd rather see extra weight classes for Freestyle in Olympic competition rather than the Greco segment.

Balanced approach for me...

Protect the long marriage to Mrs. Roar by spending quality time together in the college off-season, while...
...still managing to catch the major freestyle events (next one is June 9-10),
...and visit this forum at least once per day,
...and get ready for the 2017-18 College Season :).

I like it. Usually a chance to see PSU recruits wrestling. The senior events are always entertaining.

BTW, Brady Berge is registered at 66KG for Junior World Team Trials.

I like it. Usually a chance to see PSU recruits wrestling. The senior events are always entertaining.

BTW, Brady Berge is registered at 66KG for Junior World Team Trials.
That's 145 pounds for all us metric challenged persons.:)

I sit on my dock or boat and drink margaritas and great beer. If a wrestling event finds itself streaming on my phone....so much the better. I can only be obsessed for several months at a time.

Oh LOOK. Something shiny over here!!!

Balanced approach for me...

Protect the long marriage to Mrs. Roar by spending quality time together in the college off-season, while...
...still managing to catch the major freestyle events (next one is June 9-10),
...and visit this forum at least once per day,
...and get ready for the 2017-18 College Season :).
^^^^^This^^^^^

I enjoy freestyle but back off of it for the same reason. The wife is rather tolerant during the college and hs folk season so I do my best to make it up to her in the offseason. I don't really enjoy going to the theater or country music concerts but I keep my mouth shut and act as if I'm having a great time. It's the least I can do for spending so much of my time on wrestling.

Reactions: Grass and Gebmo
Will watch any and all amateur wrestling all summer long. Style doesn't matter. Will watch MMA as well.

Pro wrestling? No.

Listen to Flo and Trow & Funky podcasts as well any random stuff people post here on BWI.

I save up for college folk season, with the main exception being checking in here for results and such. I have enough other interests to have a good balance at other times.

I sit on my dock or boat and drink margaritas and great beer. If a wrestling event finds itself streaming on my phone....so much the better. I can only be obsessed for several months at a time.

Another recruit?

Reactions: Cowbell Man

Damn I'm jealous. My "off season" consists of buying a house next week, getting married in four weeks, and starting a new business venture. That should keep me busy until the schedule comes out in August or so. :p

Reactions: jschrantz
Damn I'm jealous. My "off season" consists of buying a house next week, getting married in four weeks, and starting a new business venture. That should keep me busy until the schedule comes out in August or so. :p
Congrats on the house and marriage, and best wishes on the business venture!!

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Best wishes on all fronts, but most importantly my advice in four weeks is......

Say the right thing.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Free/Greco are wonderful to watch. All the scoring controversies probably add something to the sport.
Follow alot of Greco most likely since our local boys seem to do better. Gonna try and hit the US Open with a bunch of us every year now. Had an awesome time last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT