ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations - Ugly in Piscataway

I liked the result of the game. I agree with the OP: “lets get outta here with a win”.
I think JF wanted to run clock, and get on the bus.
The problem I have with the clock killing is this....
If you seceded to the fact your gonna run 3 straight times, then punt, why not:
1. Get the ball in the hands of an RB, to get him the reps? Holmes or Ford are way better play makers than #7.
2. Implement new running plays like a toss sweep, end around, reverse, jet sweep, etc. In this scenario zero to negative yardage is the same as 1-2 yards(if the intention is to run 3 plays, and punt).
3. Get #3 QB reps. When your QB position is hogging >50% of runs, coupled with their style of running, one or both of them are due to get injure
Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with the win. My fear for the future of the program is what you witnessed Saturday. That being, QB zone after QB zone after QB zone.
If you want to be 8-4, Then the above sentence is fine. If you want to compete in the playoffs, This godforsaken zone read in over 50% of your run plays needs To stop ASAP.

My fear is Franklin is going to either live by the sword die by the sword. If we keep running zone read every game he’ll die by the sword. That is my biggest fear for the program going forward.
This philosophy will work maybe four times a year on the schedule, Against the teams that are weaklings.
I just don’t want to be halfway through 2021 season, sitting at 3-3, And our QB is leading the team in rush attempts For the third time in four years.
I don't disagree but we were playing with a lot freshmen, at times:
  • Lee RB
  • Parker WR
  • Strange TE
  • Johnson TE
  • Wallace T
  • KLS WR
  • CSB WR
  • Scruggs G (not a freshmen but coming off rehab and only a Soph)
Lots of these guys never expected to play in a college football game this year, especially with no spring games and an abbreviated start up to the season due to COVID.

I suspect a lot of these players don't know what to wear for away games, what to do for pre-game, where to stand on the sideline. I suspect deciding personnel for what formation, not even getting to who to block when the linebacker blitzes and the DE drops into coverage, is limiting the playbook big time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaryPSU and royboy
I liked the result of the game. I agree with the OP: “lets get outta here with a win”.
I think JF wanted to run clock, and get on the bus.
The problem I have with the clock killing is this....
If you seceded to the fact your gonna run 3 straight times, then punt, why not:
1. Get the ball in the hands of an RB, to get him the reps? Holmes or Ford are way better play makers than #7.
2. Implement new running plays like a toss sweep, end around, reverse, jet sweep, etc. In this scenario zero to negative yardage is the same as 1-2 yards(if the intention is to run 3 plays, and punt).
3. Get #3 QB reps. When your QB position is hogging >50% of runs, coupled with their style of running, one or both of them are due to get injure
One word: fumbles

The Levis package would work a lot better if there's a back with him and they can read-option. When Levis is back there alone, everyone in the ballpark knows what's coming. It's like watching Taysom Hill for the Saints prior to this week -- he's back there to run and he's not giving the ball up. If he has a back with him, then at least the defense has to be ready for both options.

Maybe a little overlooked, but I think Dotson’s punt receiving on Sat was OUTSTANDING considering the windy conditions.
Agree, with one caveat ... he never should have caught the last punt of the first half. There was no reason to risk a muff there, especially considering the wind

Reactions: CentrevilleLion
Positives:
TEs Brenton Strange, Theo Johnson, quality blocking.
Keyvone Lee looks like Aaron Harris/Tony Hunt.

DEs Jayson Oweh, Adisa Isaac will be deadly next year.
LB Brandon Smith unreal closing speed. Hopefully Dixon makes the same jump next year.
CB Daequan Hardy has a knack for making plays.
CB Joey Porter Jr is real good.
S Jaquan Brisker is a killer. Can't wait to see him next year.

Reactions: Obliviax
I agree about a deep threat needed. I'm hoping Lambert-Smith can be that guy.
I'd also like to see what Malick Meiga can do.
Not sure what is going on with CSB or George but I would expect at least 2 possibly 3 WR's to portal or transfer out.
I'm hoping Lutz comes back for another year.

1. Would love for Lutz to come back.
2. I actually expect CSB, George, and TJ Jones to all portal after the season.
3. I am ok with #2 as long as one of their scholarships are given to Lutz so he comes back.

I think Lee reminds me of Aaron Harris.

Hardy looks good, but his play on the Rutgers TD was awful. First he let the taller WR get in front of him. Then he proceeded to try to catch the ball from behind a taller WR instead of stripping the ball. His hands barely cleared the WR's head. He had no chance of catching it.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT