ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations (limited edition)

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
now that my wifi is back..some limited observations:

• WTF? three special teams blunders in a row to start the game. Turnover on a punt return, a Rare shanked punt, and a KO OOB.
  • No Barkley returning Kickoffs? And he looked a lot fresher during the game to me (even in the cold and rain). Sometimes you've got to manage the season at the expense of a play or two.
  • Funny to watch Koa return kickoffs. Seems we put some large bodies around the 20. Kicking short was effective; caused a turnover last week and almost cost us against Neb. I always wondered why the returner stands on the goal line...I mean, stand around the seven. You can take a few steps back or just let it go over your head. Or, you can come up to the 25. No reason to have a linebacker returning kickoffs.
  • PSU could have scored 100 points. CJF is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't when it comes to running up the score.
  • Juwan Johnson had a spectacular one-handed catch on the sideline...very close to being out. Enjoyed the announcers calling him "Juwanson" several times...that should stick! Kid is going to be really good next season.
  • We played some really young guys in the second half. At one point, we had three frosh in the DB. Wade got lit up pretty bad. But they've got a couple of good WRs so I am not too concerned.
  • I get the "targeting" call but in this case, were it was unintentional, shouldn't carry over to a suspension for next game. They've got to review that rule. Apke definitely hit h to h but he came in with his shoulder and also let up a bit.
  • CJF is in a no win situation....he lets up and people complain. He puts the gas pedal down and people complain. At no time were we at risk of losing that game (after the first quarter).
  • I still feel like McS is not as good as he was last year. He ran well Saturday, hard and decisive. The TD pass he threw to Hamilton was a rope...however, his long ball still doesn't have authority but his arm seems stronger this year than last. I am not sure why our deep ball has been off...do we really miss that graduating sr?
  • #2 looks like a black hole out there. He wants, and keeps, the ball on just about every play. He'd gotta be more open to sharing. He really missed that third down handoff to Sanders. Interesting we are seeing no other RB's except Barkley and Sanders.
  • Might we play Stevens at TE next season? I can also see Juwanson sliding over as well. Both are listing in that 225 range but both look bigger than that.

That's it!! Watched the game on a 9" iPad so missed a lot (plus, not replay other than what FS1 did). Thanks AT&T!

I wondered the same thing about Sanders. Obviously he is #2 now. They must want to get him as much experience in these late games as they can, for next year, when he takes over as #1. I thought he ran very well when he was out there.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
100 pts, no way. First string O going 3 & out on the first two possessions in the second half gave Neb all the confidence and the mo.

I think PSU should have TWO players deep on kickoffs. Both on the five yd line, one on each hashmark. Anything over their head would be a touchback and from the five they s/b able to field anything inside the 20 on the fly.

Stevens missed the read obvious to all of us.....perhaps if he had more playing time during the year he wouldn’t have missed it. Let’s remember after almost two full years, McSorley misses some reads in every game, it’s not as easy as it looks from our recliners.

I wondered the same thing about Sanders. Obviously he is #2 now. They must want to get him as much experience in these late games as they can, for next year, when he takes over as #1. I thought he ran very well when he was out there.

And he ran welll on the first two plays from scrimmage against Rutgers. Then wasn’t given another carry.

Certainly looked like the Nebraska WR was the one who lowered his head into Apke.

Not sure what a DB is supposed to do in that situation

I absolutely agree.
Apke didnt really led with his helmet. He kinda crunched up and absorbed the collision as much as delivered a hit.
Ridiculous call imo.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
100 pts, no way. First string O going 3 & out on the first two possessions in the second half gave Neb all the confidence and the mo.

Thank you. Someone else made the comment that PSU could've scored "70+" as a response to a post I made the other day about the game being too close for my comfort. Maybe, but if PSU could have been scoring "at will," why did they go scoreless in the 3rd quarter?

I think if Nebraska would've had another 3 minutes, they might well have won the game. As you say, they had momentum and by that point I'm not sure that putting PSU first stringers on defense back in the game would've saved it.

now that my wifi is back..some limited observations:

• WTF? three special teams blunders in a row to start the game. Turnover on a punt return, a Rare shanked punt, and a KO OOB.
  • No Barkley returning Kickoffs? And he looked a lot fresher during the game to me (even in the cold and rain). Sometimes you've got to manage the season at the expense of a play or two.
  • Funny to watch Koa return kickoffs. Seems we put some large bodies around the 20. Kicking short was effective; caused a turnover last week and almost cost us against Neb. I always wondered why the returner stands on the goal line...I mean, stand around the seven. You can take a few steps back or just let it go over your head. Or, you can come up to the 25. No reason to have a linebacker returning kickoffs.
  • PSU could have scored 100 points. CJF is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't when it comes to running up the score.
  • Juwan Johnson had a spectacular one-handed catch on the sideline...very close to being out. Enjoyed the announcers calling him "Juwanson" several times...that should stick! Kid is going to be really good next season.
  • We played some really young guys in the second half. At one point, we had three frosh in the DB. Wade got lit up pretty bad. But they've got a couple of good WRs so I am not too concerned.
  • I get the "targeting" call but in this case, were it was unintentional, shouldn't carry over to a suspension for next game. They've got to review that rule. Apke definitely hit h to h but he came in with his shoulder and also let up a bit.
  • CJF is in a no win situation....he lets up and people complain. He puts the gas pedal down and people complain. At no time were we at risk of losing that game (after the first quarter).
  • I still feel like McS is not as good as he was last year. He ran well Saturday, hard and decisive. The TD pass he threw to Hamilton was a rope...however, his long ball still doesn't have authority but his arm seems stronger this year than last. I am not sure why our deep ball has been off...do we really miss that graduating sr?
  • #2 looks like a black hole out there. He wants, and keeps, the ball on just about every play. He'd gotta be more open to sharing. He really missed that third down handoff to Sanders. Interesting we are seeing no other RB's except Barkley and Sanders.
  • Might we play Stevens at TE next season? I can also see Juwanson sliding over as well. Both are listing in that 225 range but both look bigger than that.

That's it!! Watched the game on a 9" iPad so missed a lot (plus, not replay other than what FS1 did). Thanks AT&T!

Have thought about Stevens to tight end/ H-back for a while........ a’ la Brackett from about 8-10 years ago. Stevens is clearly a better QB than Brackett was , but Stevens is such a good athlete for a big man, that it wouldn’t shock me to see him at H- back next year ( as well as back up QB)

My recollection of the Apke hit was that the crown of his helmet contacted the side of the Nebraska player's helmet. I remember seeing the Nebraska players head move to the side. I don't believe it was anywhere near intentional but the targeting rule is what it is. Given the emphasis on concussions/CTE, that kind of contact is going to get called.

My recollection of the Apke hit was that the crown of his helmet contacted the side of the Nebraska player's helmet. I remember seeing the Nebraska players head move to the side. I don't believe it was anywhere near intentional but the targeting rule is what it is. Given the emphasis on concussions/CTE, that kind of contact is going to get called.

No way do I think it was intentional and no way was Apke trying to hurt the receiver.....but it was helmet to helmet.

It’s always called on the D.....but it’s NOT always the D’s fault.

Reactions: BBrown and 84Lion
Thank you. Someone else made the comment that PSU could've scored "70+" as a response to a post I made the other day about the game being too close for my comfort. Maybe, but if PSU could have been scoring "at will," why did they go scoreless in the 3rd quarter?

I think if Nebraska would've had another 3 minutes, they might well have won the game. As you say, they had momentum and by that point I'm not sure that putting PSU first stringers on defense back in the game would've saved it.

When you're up by 32 at half, it's impossible to come out with the same focus that you had to start the game. We were sluggish in the 2nd half but IMHO we could still be playing and Nebraska never would have gotten closer than the final score. If the game had been in doubt late, our offense would have had a completely different focus and Nebraska never could have stopped us.

Reactions: BBrown
And he ran welll on the first two plays from scrimmage against Rutgers. Then wasn’t given another carry.
That is b/c JoMo doesn't like RBs. He doesn't want to give the ball to Barkley in space and he doesn't want to give the ball to Sanders. I'm sure Franklin told him that he had to give a few touches to Sanders. ;)

No way do I think it was intentional and no way was Apke trying to hurt the receiver.....but it was helmet to helmet.

It’s always called on the D.....but it’s NOT always the D’s fault.
First of all the receiver had taken a couple of strides with the ball thus becoming a ball carrier. He was no longer a “defenseless” player. He helped to initiate contact by lowering his head just like a running back does when attempting to power his way through a defender. Those officials were idiots. If I were Franklin or the AD I would ask the league to look at this call and try to explain why it was targeting. Typically targeting involves a receiver who is airborne attempting to make a catch or just landed on his feet after the catch, thus being defenseless.

First of all the receiver had taken a couple of strides with the ball thus becoming a ball carrier. He was no longer a “defenseless” player. He helped to initiate contact by lowering his head just like a running back does when attempting to power his way through a defender. Those officials were idiots. If I were Franklin or the AD I would ask the league to look at this call and try to explain why it was targeting. Typically targeting involves a receiver who is airborne attempting to make a catch or just landed on his feet after the catch, thus being defenseless.

I don’t disagree with anything you said.....and as I said I don’t think there was any intent by Apke to injure the receiver.

I think looking at the play it was close to 50% / 50% as to who itiated the helmet-to-helmet.

But it looked bad because Apke never tried to tackle the receiver, he was going for the big shoulder hit.

And, the worse part, officials on the field refuse to overrule one another AND the replay official doesn’t want to overrule an official on the field unless it’s outrageously the wrong call.

You missed the biggest detail of the game. The play calling was much better. Many of the runs were quick hitting up-the-gut runs instead of the slow ROP handoff. That had Barkley hitting a hole with speed, stopping the D from reacting. It also prevented a lot of penetration and TFLs. And once he got that going it opened up the ROP as the D had to play it more honest instead of selling out on the ROP.

Couple of times Barkley lined up 7-8 yards deep, directly behind McS. Gave him time to read, didn't tip off direction of plays, and maybe it allowed for McS to read the D pre-snap and determine direction of play. Certainly looked like a different O.

Watched part of the game again last night

On Barkley 2 long runs in the first quarter, they appear to be straight run plays where he is getting the ball while moving forward.

Not surprised the results were a 65 yard run and about a 30 yard run.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Targeting is the best intended rule with the worst possible application.

Go after the people trying to hurt someone. But just because it's helmet to helmet doesn't mean it's the defender's fault

Targeting is the best intended rule with the worst possible application.

Go after the people trying to hurt someone. But just because it's helmet to helmet doesn't mean it's the defender's fault
yeah....like pass interference and holding..way too arbitrary.

When Stevens gets in I sense major frustration and a burning desire to show what he can do.. kind of like trying to force a whole game into 5 minutes... so he prefers to tuck it and run (and yes, he missed a huge oppty not handing it to Sanders on 3rd down). This kid is too good to be sitting down... although I think Coach has worried all year that Tommy engages too physically with defenders and could go down.[he certainly has no problem vocalizing lol]

Then, what happens if Trace gets hurt? So he has minimized using #2 for most of the year, but that is changing now that we're nearing the end. The odds of losing both QB's at this point are low and Coach can take a bit more risk.

I think if Tommy was getting more time at QB he'd be more inclined to give the ball up. Hmmmm. lol

They also went scoreless on their first series of the game but that didn't stop them from scoring 42 in the first half. They came out sluggish after building up a huge lead in the first half. Barkley had three carries in the entire second half. If they wanted to (or needed to) they could have kept things rolling in the second half instead of changing things up and subbing players.

When Stevens gets in I sense major frustration and a burning desire to show what he can do.. kind of like trying to force a whole game into 5 minutes... so he prefers to tuck it and run (and yes, he missed a huge oppty not handing it to Sanders on 3rd down). This kid is too good to be sitting down... although I think Coach has worried all year that Tommy engages too physically with defenders and could go down.[he certainly has no problem vocalizing lol]

Then, what happens if Trace gets hurt? So he has minimized using #2 for most of the year, but that is changing now that we're nearing the end. The odds of losing both QB's at this point are low and Coach can take a bit more risk.

I think if Tommy was getting more time at QB he'd be more inclined to give the ball up. Hmmmm. lol

Its a good point...but if you want to be QB, you have to be focused on what the team can do, not what you can do. Nobody better at that then Trace.

They also went scoreless on their first series of the game but that didn't stop them from scoring 42 in the first half. They came out sluggish after building up a huge lead in the first half. Barkley had three carries in the entire second half. If they wanted to (or needed to) they could have kept things rolling in the second half instead of changing things up and subbing players.

The other thing was that after neb cut it to 42-24 (at which point it actually became a real game again)... we went down the field twice and got a stop in between to open it back up to 56-24. At that point it felt like we were saying to neb... "get it? we can do this whenever we need to"

trouble was Franklin and the kids presumed neb got the message and would put their backups in... that didn't happen.

The other thing was that after neb cut it to 42-24 (at which point it actually became a real game again)... we went down the field twice and got a stop in between to open it back up to 56-24. At that point it felt like we were saying to neb... "get it? we can do this whenever we need to"

trouble was Franklin and the kids presumed neb got the message and would put their backups in... that didn't happen.

Agree....but it was out of reach at that point no matter what. PSU played with several freshmen who were getting a great learning experience about what it means to be playing in a varsity game against varsity players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT