ADVERTISEMENT

Oblie's Observations - Outcoached, Undermanned, Crazy, Help! (OUCH)

Joe always taught that it is never as bad as it seems after a loss, or as good as it seems after a win.

ILL took advantage of a perfect storm to help them win: bad weather, injured QB who gets injured more as the game went on, some crappy officiating, low energy, nursing a small lead. Hats off to Buffalo Brett B for coming up with an innovative idea. It will be interesting to see how that works for him down the stretch.

I think PSU shows up next week against tOSU. Their two WR's are the best tandem in college football right now but we've got some great CBs and will bring a pass rush that they haven't seen in a while. And they've got a LOT to prove. It was one thing to lose to Iowa in Iowa with your second team QB. it is another to lose at home against one of the worst teams in the B1G.
Talk about a glass half full?

What exactly leads you to believe this? Hope?

The O$U offense is rolling. O$U will scheme Dotson out of the offense (assuming Cliff is even able to play). We have no running game.

It will be an AW to the tune where maybe Franklin will demonstrate some needed humility and grace.

Reactions: LaJollaLion

The O$U offense is rolling. O$U will scheme Dotson out of the offense (assuming Cliff is even able to play). We have no running game.

It will be an AW to the tune where maybe Franklin will demonstrate some needed humility and grace.
PSU couldn't run the ball on Villanova, but yeah....we'll figure it out at the Shoe at night. Our D just carved up for 350 on the ground to a team who was shutout in the prior game and rushed for 26 yards. PSU's best running play is a Clifford scramble and he's injured. Short of tOSU falling completely asleep there is no way I see this game even close....the D will put up a good fight for a while, but PSU's offense will have them on the field all night and it will be a 3TD win for tOSU and they can be as vanilla as they want to. This PSU offense on tape shouldn't scare a single team left on the schedule. Double Dotson and you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Psugo823
PSU couldn't run the ball on Villanova, but yeah....we'll figure it out at the Shoe at night. Our D just carved up for 350 on the ground to a team who was shutout in the prior game and rushed for 26 yards. PSU's best running play is a Clifford scramble and he's injured. Short of tOSU falling completely asleep there is now way I see this game even close....the D will put up a good fight for a while, but PSU's offense will have them on the field all night and it will be a 3TD win for tOSU and they can be as vanilla as they want to. This PSU offense on tape shouldn't scare a single team left on the schedule. Double Dotson and you have nothing to worry about.
Bingo

Reactions: Psugo823
Earlier you stated that someone told you the players were dancing and yucking it up on the sidelines and now you are saying you watched warmups. Now which is it? First, the players always dance and have a good time during warmups. This is no longer Joe Paterno's Penn State. I would be worried if I witnessed the players just doing the drills during warmups after seeing how the players have acted during warmups during the Franklin era. I would think we are dead and we have no energy for today's game, if they went through the motions. I watched warmups closely every home game from the south upper deck and I thought Clifford did not look right. He had less zip than normal on some of the throws. Roberson actually showed more zipped on some of his passes than I remember but I never paid that much attention to him during warmups before. The way they ran offense vs defense I was not sure who was actually starting even though Clifford was announced as the starter during pregame. Roberson took more than his normal reps with all 3 backs. Cain only took a couple snaps before the Nova game so I knew he was not going to play much if at all that game. Franklin was giving a lot of window dressing before the game that I was not sure who the QB was going to be then we came out and did not attempt a pass until the 3rd drive. Clifford should not have played or should have been available off the bench.
I saw the same thing from NEU.
+1.

Yeah you could say that. I read a stat yesterday that CJ Stroud had something like 21 consecutive scoring drives, 20 of them TDs, until finally being forced to punt on Saturday.
Yep…that is the facts and we are looking straight down the barrel.

Ryan Day will be ruthless.

Ok ni guess you have no reason to warch. If I’ll felt that way we’d certainly have won

To echo everyone else, excellent summary. I have a lot of issues with this coaching staff and many of you have touched on them. I think I have the most heartburn over their total lack of in-game adjustments. When I have to listen to Dan Orlovsky continuously question why the DL has not adjusted to IL having 7 OL with someone over the center, it just confirms my same thoughts - this staff cannot adjust during a game. Same with the Iowa game and all the false starts with Roberson in the game. Why did it take several drives to realize something needed to be fixed. Has CJF ever truly admitted that he mishandled a game situation.

PSU couldn't run the ball on Villanova, but yeah....we'll figure it out at the Shoe at night. Our D just carved up for 350 on the ground to a team who was shutout in the prior game and rushed for 26 yards. PSU's best running play is a Clifford scramble and he's injured. Short of tOSU falling completely asleep there is no way I see this game even close....the D will put up a good fight for a while, but PSU's offense will have them on the field all night and it will be a 3TD win for tOSU and they can be as vanilla as they want to. This PSU offense on tape shouldn't scare a single team left on the schedule. Double Dotson and you have nothing to worry about.
Agreed. If it wouldn't put me in the position to have to root against Penn State I would bet a lot on tOSU to cover in this one. The only way I see it staying remotely close is if we manage to hold them to field goals instead of TDs a few times or they end up turning the ball over several times and we capitalize.

Agreed. If it wouldn't put me in the position to have to root against Penn State I would bet a lot on tOSU to cover in this one. The only way I see it staying remotely close is if we manage to hold them to field goals instead of TDs a few times or they end up turning the ball over several times and we capitalize.
You don't win on the road at night being one dimensional on offense. The defense can only bend for so long.

Reactions: MacNit07
Joe always taught that it is never as bad as it seems after a loss, or as good as it seems after a win.

ILL took advantage of a perfect storm to help them win: bad weather, injured QB who gets injured more as the game went on, some crappy officiating, low energy, nursing a small lead. Hats off to Buffalo Brett B for coming up with an innovative idea. It will be interesting to see how that works for him down the stretch.

I think PSU shows up next week against tOSU. Their two WR's are the best tandem in college football right now but we've got some great CBs and will bring a pass rush that they haven't seen in a while. And they've got a LOT to prove. It was one thing to lose to Iowa in Iowa with your second team QB. it is another to lose at home against one of the worst teams in the B1G.
See you after the game when this post ages well, lol.

Still stunned at Brandon Smith’s lack of
football awareness/IQ. On the double reverse you can see instead of jumping to block the pass or wrapping up he tries his patented shoulder charge (which does nothing to disrupt the throw) and on the forced fumble instead of going after the ball he gets up ready to hot dog until he sees his teammates running for the ball. If he had Brooks’s sense for the game he’d be unstoppable.
If 5* Brandon Smith had walk-on Brandon Smith's instincts he would be an All American. Unfortunately you can't coach instincts. Players either have them or they don't.

See you after the game when this post ages well, lol.
There are no guarantees, but we've played good teams tough. tOSU, is as their custom, beating up on talentless teams. I say that they are overrated and we are underrated by this board

images

Still stunned at Brandon Smith’s lack of
football awareness/IQ. On the double reverse you can see instead of jumping to block the pass or wrapping up he tries his patented shoulder charge (which does nothing to disrupt the throw) and on the forced fumble instead of going after the ball he gets up ready to hot dog until he sees his teammates running for the ball. If he had Brooks’s sense for the game he’d be unstoppable.
For someone with a bunch of stars behind his name, he has rarely impressed this fan during his time here. To me, he has zero fundamentals and 100% showman. I've said it for weeks in various threads but he's a targeting foul waiting to happen.

To echo everyone else, excellent summary. I have a lot of issues with this coaching staff and many of you have touched on them. I think I have the most heartburn over their total lack of in-game adjustments. When I have to listen to Dan Orlovsky continuously question why the DL has not adjusted to IL having 7 OL with someone over the center, it just confirms my same thoughts - this staff cannot adjust during a game. Same with the Iowa game and all the false starts with Roberson in the game. Why did it take several drives to realize something needed to be fixed. Has CJF ever truly admitted that he mishandled a game situation.
Lack of game adjustments is one of my two biggest issues. The other is that we ran the same O offense for years when we did have the proper talent for RPO. Clifford is not quick enough for it and this new offense fits him much better. That is why he was so much better when healthy. Levis is also not a RPO style QB and that is why he doing so much better elsewhere....that system fits his skill set.

Our offense is never adjusted to match our skill sets and hadn’t been adjusted to what defenses were doing to stop it. Every defense focused entirely on Barkley for two years and we never put in any counter plays to take advantage of opponents obsession with him. Shame as he would have won the Heisman with a little tweaking.

There are no guarantees, but we've played good teams tough. tOSU, is as their custom, beating up on talentless teams. I say that they are overrated and we are underrated by this board

images
If only it were so…for starters, exactly how will we score? Running? Throwing? To whom? Have you seen O$U play offense. Outside of Dotson, who from PSU starts at O$U (and that is iffy).

Last edited:
If only it were so…for starters, exactly how will we score? Running? Throwing? To whom? Have you seen O$U play offense. Outside of Dotson, who from PSU starts ( and that is iffy).
If you watched the last 6 quarters of PSU play, you have to tell yourself something I guess for some folks. I’m not seeing this one being particularly close at all.

If only it were so…for starters, exactly how will we score? Running? Throwing? To whom? Have you seen O$U play offense. Outside of Dotson, who from PSU starts ( and that is iffy).
OK, don't watch. What's the point. I'll bet Illinois didn't think that way.

I'll tell you what, I wouldn't want to play on a team with players that have your attitude. You'd be riding the pine or gone. I hope you don't go through life like this. There used to be a sunday paper cartoon where a cloud was over this guys head everytime he was drawn.

27291105-depressed-man-walking-with-a-cloud-of-rain-over-his-head.jpg

23be00035575960fd12335e7f325d66d21f9de0a.gifv

OK, don't watch. What's the point. I'll bet Illinois didn't think that way.my watching or not will have no bearing onbrnev
OK, don't watch. What's the point. I'll bet Illinois didn't think that way.
My watching will have no bearing on the outcome…it will be an absolute AW. And I doubt Illinois felt that way coming into last Saturday …their coach booted them in the rear and they had hope that Franklin would get circles run around his game day coaching. Box checked.

I'll tell you what, I wouldn't want to play on a team with players that have your attitude. You'd be riding the pine or gone. I hope you don't go through life like this. There used to be a sunday paper cartoon where a cloud was over this guys head everytime he was drawn.

27291105-depressed-man-walking-with-a-cloud-of-rain-over-his-head.jpg

23be00035575960fd12335e7f325d66d21f9de0a.gifv
No worries - I can handle my own affairs just fine - but thank you.

I’ll tell you what. I would not want to go through life being a grade 1 Pollyanna and unrealistic fan/person. B am an optimist but one grounded in reality.

Always appreciate your post-game analysis. Tell me what you saw that gives your reason for optimism? What is going to change as we navigate from a lower tier MAC level team to one of the most talented and best teams in the country.

Changes are needed…major changes.

I’ll tell you what. I would not want to go through life being a grade 1 Pollyanna and unrealistic fan/person. B am an optimist but one grounded in reality.

Always appreciate your post-game analysis. Tell me what you saw that gives your reason for optimism? What is going to change as we navigate from a lower tier MAC level team to one of the most talented and best teams in the country.

You are just a major troll trying to pass your self off as a realist. Little quips like lower tier MAC team give away your game

Reactions: BBrown
Actually they may not even have to double Dotson because we can't get the ball to anyone in space downfield accurately and consistently. We may set a record for the number of three and outs in this game.

I was thinking that a glimmer of hope to at least keep it close is we knock Stroud out of the game like Iowa did to Clifford.
Obviously we want a clean hit, no knee or lower leg or concussion bull crap but if we get him out of there possibly a faint hope. O$U probably at that point implements the Illinois offense and just runs it down our throat every play.

You are just a major troll trying to pass your self off as a realist. Little quips like lower tier MAC team give away your game
How would you describe Illinois?

They did not have 100 yards of offense against Wisconsin? And finished our game with the a third sting walk-on…

Realism will hit us square in the nose in Saturday night. O$U ain’t no Illinois!

Actually they may not even have to double Dotson because we can't get the ball to anyone in space downfield accurately and consistently. We may set a record for the number of three and outs in this game.

I was thinking that a glimmer of hope to at least keep it close is we knock Stroud out of the game like Iowa did to Clifford.
Obviously we want a clean hit, no knee or lower leg or concussion bull crap but if we get him out of there possibly a faint hope. O$U probably at that point implements the Illinois offense and just runs it down our throat every play.
Ohio State has three more QBs on the roster - all more talented than Cliff…and healthy…they would not even skip a beat.

Reactions: PAgeologist

Yep. Illinois really exposed the run d sadly. Day is ultra aggressive, but even he will take the free yards if they cannot do better against the run. I think this defense fights for a quarter or two but the PSU O simply will wear out the PSU D by not scoring or maintaining drives.

Football is a strange game. Especially college. Pitt losses to Western Mich, recovers, moves up ahead of us, and is now favored to win it’s division and maybe the ACC title game. Iowa beats us and then loses terribly to Purdue...at home. There are always weird wins and weird loses.
Yes, we should lose this game. But no one thought we would win in 2016. This team was embarrassed this week. If they have the heart I think they have they will play a much better game this week. Certainly e need a serviceable QB either Clifford, TR, or someone to step up.
Wouldn’t bet the house, or the car, or even my good hunting boots. But also wouldn’t be totally shocked if they win. And that is both the joy and angst of college football.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Football is a strange game. Especially college. Pitt losses to Western Mich, recovers, moves up ahead of us, and is now favored to win it’s division and maybe the ACC title game. Iowa beats us and then loses terribly to Purdue...at home. There are always weird wins and weird loses.
Yes, we should lose this game. But no one thought we would win in 2016. This team was embarrassed this week. If they have the heart I think they have they will play a much better game this week. Certainly e need a serviceable QB either Clifford, TR, or someone to step up.
Wouldn’t bet the house, or the car, or even my good hunting boots. But also wouldn’t be totally shocked if they win. And that is both the joy and angst of college football.
Agree on all…except if you look at the underlying fundamentals…that 2016 team was not giving up 350 yards rushing to Illinois…and they had a healthy QB with an able back-up…and playmakers all over the field…every single one who played in the league… teams that give up the kind of rushing yards like our 2021 are in serious jeopardy of a free fall collection of AWs…in fact it is very predictable

Not a bad read with one exception. While they spotted the ball incorrectly, but the forward progress call was absolutely correct. There is no case for it being a bad call. The ball carrier was in contact with the defender and going backward. This was a very different situation than a similar play later in the game.

The call can be technically justified, however 999 times out of a thousand that whistle doesn't blow. Hell, the same call could have been made when their QB fumbled it later in the game, but the ref realized his mistake from earlier.

Reactions: psu2016
The call can be technically justified, however 999 times out of a thousand that whistle doesn't blow. Hell, the same call could have been made when their QB fumbled it later in the game, but the ref realized his mistake from earlier.
999/1000 is no coincidence.

Out of all the posts in the last two days, this is the truest quote there is. So many of the programs who are cycling through coaches fail to understand this point. It's all about getting the right QB. Think about what we did with Trace, he did not have elite skills, but he was a good college QB, and he put together a couple of nice seasons. Hell, Clifford in 2019, he wasn't elite, maybe pretty good(but he showed potential) and we won a lot of games. Hell, this season, on his best days he was good, but his season as a whole I would have only classified him as above average, but we were able to win with him. You get the QB, you get to be elite. You don't you need a lot of luck.
We probably have our best hopes coming in this year....

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Amongst my Penn State friends we have said - Franklin needs a firm statement saying he will be in Penn State as the HC next year and beyond.
I agree it tends to leave an unsettled feeling going forward.

OL
Where there is smoke, there is fire.

After what we have seen over the last 7 quarters of football expecting anything different in Columbus is insane. There is absolutely nothing in the playbook for the Bucks. Nothing. It could be very ugly very soon. Field position will be terrible just like at Iowa. The bucks will be working with a short field all night.

Franklin and Yurcich have been scheming Dotson out of the offense. They all but ignored him for the final 2.5 quarters against Iowa and he might as well have stayed on the sideline for most of the Illinois game — and ALL of the overtimes. Instead of getting the ball in the hands of your best player, putting the game in the hands of your inept backup QB (Iowa) a crippled QB, third string tight end, and “I fall down on contact” RB (Cain, Illinois) is a recipe for . . . Well, for two losses to inferior opponents. The one play that went to Dotson late in the game had him isolated on the left. He is the quickest player on the field, so do we run a slant? Of course not. Instead, we take “advantage” of his short stature and throw up a prayer fade (a recent staple of Franklin’s offenses). Barf inducing.

OK, we lost our best DT and have had substantial injuries to QB and three RBs. BB did a genius move with 7OL and 2TEs. I've never seen that in my life. But we still only gave up three points. So suddenly, the team that beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin and Auburn can't beat a 2-5 Ill? What changed? Clearly, BB was very creative. The weather was a factor. it was a perfect trap game. Staff didn't have the kids prepared. Nursing a small lead played into it.

In the end, CJF is too loyal to SC IMHO>. Having said that, do we have another QB on this team that can lead the offense? IDK. We all knew QB was the Achilles heel of this team. What was feared has come to pass. Next week is a new week. Never defeat yourself, there are enough people who want to defeat you to go around.

Reactions: royboy
OK, we lost our best DT and have had substantial injuries to QB and three RBs. BB did a genius move with 7OL and 2TEs. I've never seen that in my life. But we still only gave up three points. So suddenly, the team that beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin and Auburn can't beat a 2-5 Ill? What changed? Clearly, BB was very creative. The weather was a factor. it was a perfect trap game. Staff didn't have the kids prepared. Nursing a small lead played into it.

In the end, CJF is too loyal to SC IMHO>. Having said that, do we have another QB on this team that can lead the offense? IDK. We all knew QB was the Achilles heel of this team. What was feared has come to pass. Next week is a new week. Never defeat yourself, there are enough people who want to defeat you to go around.
Don’t try to reason with a troll. This isn’t a new idea from him. He pops out after every loss

ADVERTISEMENT