ADVERTISEMENT

oblie's observations; BW game

Agree...but it is a deficiency. Football is like a chess game, you move to reinforce one area, you make the other weak. So, if he does have to hold a block longer, and cannot, you have to gameplan around that. Again, nothing against the player, but there is a reason why a 5-8 guy is never going to play LT. While those reasons are watered down, the physics hold true for a RB as well. If I've got a 220 lb back and a 190 lb back with everything else being equal, I'll take the 220 lb kid seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Sanders will most likely carry the majority of the load,unless he gets hurt. Allen is a backup, and will spell Sanders at times at most.

Reactions: Obliviax
Sanders will most likely carry the majority of the load,unless he gets hurt. Allen is a backup, and will spell Sanders at times at most.
Agree...but I think we are going to see a lot of two back sets. I feel like we're going to see Allen playing in the slot so that the personnel groupings are the same and the D doesn't get to key when Allen is or is not in the game. But I also see Slade taking some shots as well.

Agreed. We did line up two RB's several times, in the backfield. I think it is possible we will see one of the RB's play TE or RB depending upon the need and formation. If Sanders can catch, I can see him moving out of the RB position after they line up, and into a slot/TE position if he can block. Or, you can move a Slade/Journey Brown (who are really fast) to run a pass pattern.
I'm thinking they were using the 2 back set to practice for the "Lion" position which TS would be in if healthy.

Reactions: Bertway0
Impressive indeed. Looks like he has the brute strength for a DT.......
Agree...but I think we are going to see a lot of two back sets. I feel like we're going to see Allen playing in the slot so that the personnel groupings are the same and the D doesn't get to key when Allen is or is not in the game. But I also see Slade taking some shots as well.

Don't count on Slade being good at pass pro as a true freshman.

Don't count on Slade being good at pass pro as a true freshman.

I liked the two back set a lot. gives you a lead blocker at times, miss direction at other times, you can mix up who stays in for pass pro and you can still run read option and RPO's. I liked the one play Saturday where Trace kept on a read option right with the backside back while the first back led wide outside the tackle. Both the linebacker and end went with the lead back, opening up a gigantic hole for Trace.

I am a bit worried about Trace running the ball too much, but that's what Tommy is here for.

tot
I liked the two back set a lot. gives you a lead blocker at times, miss direction at other times, you can mix up who stays in for pass pro and you can still run read option and RPO's. I liked the one play Saturday where Trace kept on a read option right with the backside back while the first back led wide outside the tackle. Both the linebacker and end went with the lead back, opening up a gigantic hole for Trace.

I am a bit worried about Trace running the ball too much, but that's what Tommy is here for.
Totally agree. The problem is that if you have to change your player package for specific plays, you end up telling the defense what you are doing. so, if Slade is the back that catches balls out of the backfield as soon as he comes in the D puts another CB in to guard him. Ideally, you want a personnel package where kids are interchangeable and you can run all of the plays effectively with the same package.

Agree...but it is a deficiency. Football is like a chess game, you move to reinforce one area, you make the other weak. So, if he does have to hold a block longer, and cannot, you have to gameplan around that. Again, nothing against the player, but there is a reason why a 5-8 guy is never going to play LT. While those reasons are watered down, the physics hold true for a RB as well. If I've got a 220 lb back and a 190 lb back with everything else being equal, I'll take the 220 lb kid seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

I think of that small Fla State back who dived helmet-first into Poz's knee in the Orange Bowl, taking him out of that game. That was a vicious block but effective. Not sure if it's legal today with all the restrictions on low blocks.

tot

Totally agree. The problem is that if you have to change your player package for specific plays, you end up telling the defense what you are doing. so, if Slade is the back that catches balls out of the backfield as soon as he comes in the D puts another CB in to guard him. Ideally, you want a personnel package where kids are interchangeable and you can run all of the plays effectively with the same package.

I don't disagree, but football is changing. This PSU offense is just not going to be trying to bludgeon its way down the field a la Wisconsin. Not that there's no physicality to it, but it's about putting the ball in the hands of someone very fast where there is an absence of defenders.

It's no longer trying to bunch a lot of bodies to apply overwhelming force to a small space. So there is a whole family of running plays that used to be central to what Penn State did offensively that are just not going to be used that much.The way a lot of college offenses are going, Slade might be the prototype back. It will be interesting to see what PSU does with him.

With Journey Brown and Slade recruited the last two years, seems like Franklin really wants track star speed in running backs.

I understand the RPO just fine. My concern with the OL is, we ask them to do too much. We have the OT's pulling and trapping LBers (see play 2 of the game) we have OG pulling. It takes time to teach and rep all of that stuff. You can block the same plays without doing all of that. Why is it that Mahon played well at OT but struggled at OG last year. Was it he got worse? Or was he put in impossible situations? I think the later. See below.

Man...thanks for ruining my day. What a frustrating game that was. Our defense could not get off the field on 3rd downs all day and offense bogged down at critical times. Really was a toss up game.

I don't disagree, but football is changing. This PSU offense is just not going to be trying to bludgeon its way down the field a la Wisconsin. Not that there's no physicality to it, but it's about putting the ball in the hands of someone very fast where there is an absence of defenders.

It's no longer trying to bunch a lot of bodies to apply overwhelming force to a small space. So there is a whole family of running plays that used to be central to what Penn State did offensively that are just not going to be used that much.The way a lot of college offenses are going, Slade might be the prototype back. It will be interesting to see what PSU does with him.

With Journey Brown and Slade recruited the last two years, seems like Franklin really wants track star speed in running backs.
Not sure where you got the impression that I don't understand the game has changed. What I am saying is that every decent team we play will have charted the play tendencies of the package we have on the field. If we pass 80% of the time Allen is on the field, they play the pass. it is not unlike the revolution in baseball where three infielders line up on one side of the bag if the batter hits 80% of his balls to that side of the field. Good luck when the defense knows the play.

Slasher types like Allen and Slade should thrive in this RPO offense. I think that's one of the reasons a guy like Andre Robinson decided to go elsewhere. A straight ahead power back is not really what you want in this offense.

Not sure where you got the impression that I don't understand the game has changed. What I am saying is that every decent team we play will have charted the play tendencies of the package we have on the field. If we pass 80% of the time Allen is on the field, they play the pass. it is not unlike the revolution in baseball where three infielders line up on one side of the bag if the batter hits 80% of his balls to that side of the field. Good luck when the defense knows the play.

Sorry, wasn't really disagreeing, just trying to consider the implications of the fact that the game is a moving target right now. The whole notion of tendencies changes when 80 percent of plays are RPOs. If you really think about it, I'm not sure a Slade-type back tells a defense a whole lot more than a Sanders-type back in terms of tendencies.

Barkley forced defenses into certain consistent tendencies, but it wasn't because they knew what the play was going to be. It was because the risk of Barkley breaking one was so high they had to overcommit to run defense. They knew he couldn't be caught from behind. It will be interesting to see how defenses defend McSorley now that he is the primary thing they have to worry about.

Reactions: Obliviax
Could be CJF is trying to create a smoke screen. If I am an opposing DC and Allen is in there I tell my 235 lb LB to blow up the middle and push the 190 RB into Trace McS's lap. Even if he has a low center of gravity, you can push him back as you have 45 lbs on him. Its simple physics. I don't care who you are, honestly...it is just a physical mismatch.

Of course you don't know (as the DC) if the play will be a pass or a run, and you don't know the OL protection call. So a blitz up the middle may be picked up by the OG or the center if they are sliding the protection. Or if it is the RB picking up the LBer then maybe the first time the RB steps up and Wham! he cuts the LBer's legs, then next time the LBer blitzes and it's a run play. Or if it is a pass the LBer remembers he got cut last time so he's slower to read the RB and this time the RB blocks him normal.

I am sure that many thought they could run over Barkley, but couldn't. Sometimes better technique by one player beats a physical stronger player.

But you do have a valid point, but the DC has to send the right blitz on the right protection call. Who has the "chalk" last.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT