ADVERTISEMENT

oblie's observations; BW game

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I really thought it was a nice day. I don't think we had 71k, but IMHO, north of 60K. Had to be awesome for the recruits.
  • For the first time, it looked like everyone of the 85 (or so) team members looked like they belonged. Each was a good athlete and earned their way onto the team. In years gone by, I always felt like some of the kids didn't belong (athletically). I think they call that "having a high floor" (as opposed to a high ceiling).
  • I thought the school, with Spice and KMK, kept things very fun. This is good for the fans, of course, but had to impress the recruits.
  • I feel more comfortable at LB as most of the kids playing looked decent to good. 11 is going to take some time but has the body and skills. He filled holes and sometimes, that RB took a different route, but he looked like he disrupted the primary play. Luketa can play. Dae'Lun Darien looked good too.
  • Hard to tell at DT. DE looks good even with CJF being cautious. Taliburton is going to be a good one.
  • I noticed several plays, most of the entire first series, had two RBs in the backfield in kind of a veer formation. That means someone is not playing the slot and lining up in the backfield. I can see lots of positive variations from pass blocking, screens, misdirections and HB leads. Could be good on short yardage.
  • All of the QB's look good, including JZ who had gotten some bad reviews last year. The blue team, with Trace at QB, could have scored 100 points in a full game.
  • Good to see Sanders with a pre-season award as there were some reports of him being mopey last year. I still think there will be a substantial drop off at RB, but it is certainly at the low end of our worries....actually, a strength. I thought Journey Brown has a Div 1A body and athleticism. I think he is a big contributor with his speed. I hope he returns kickoffs. Can't wait to see Ricky Slade as I think he'll bring some high end skills to the game, as well.
  • WR, DB and RB are strengths. There is some lack of experience, but the talent is certainly there.
  • Still concerned about DT, not for starters but depth. Hard to tell in an inner squad game, but depth is not there. Also, TE is a big concern. But these are hardly secrets or surprises.
  • Other than that, we are solid at all positions.
  • I was surprised at the lack of surround entertainment associate with BW. For example, the rides. I did have an excellent pizza at one of the food trucks before the game. Why don't they hang post game?

I really thought it was a nice day. I don't think we had 71k, but IMHO, north of 60K. Had to be awesome for the recruits.
  • For the first time, it looked like everyone of the 85 (or so) team members looked like they belonged. Each was a good athlete and earned their way onto the team. In years gone by, I always felt like some of the kids didn't belong (athletically). I think they call that "having a high floor" (as opposed to a high ceiling).
  • I thought the school, with Spice and KMK, kept things very fun. This is good for the fans, of course, but had to impress the recruits.
  • I feel more comfortable at LB as most of the kids playing looked decent to good. 11 is going to take some time but has the body and skills. He filled holes and sometimes, that RB took a different route, but he looked like he disrupted the primary play. Luketa can play. Dae'Lun Darien looked good too.
  • Hard to tell at DT. DE looks good even with CJF being cautious. Taliburton is going to be a good one.
  • I noticed several plays, most of the entire first series, had two RBs in the backfield in kind of a veer formation. That means someone is not playing the slot and lining up in the backfield. I can see lots of positive variations from pass blocking, screens, misdirections and HB leads. Could be good on short yardage.
  • All of the QB's look good, including JZ who had gotten some bad reviews last year. The blue team, with Trace at QB, could have scored 100 points in a full game.
  • Good to see Sanders with a pre-season award as there were some reports of him being mopey last year. I still think there will be a substantial drop off at RB, but it is certainly at the low end of our worries....actually, a strength. I thought Journey Brown has a Div 1A body and athleticism. I think he is a big contributor with his speed. I hope he returns kickoffs. Can't wait to see Ricky Slade as I think he'll bring some high end skills to the game, as well.
  • WR, DB and RB are strengths. There is some lack of experience, but the talent is certainly there.
  • Still concerned about DT, not for starters but depth. Hard to tell in an inner squad game, but depth is not there. Also, TE is a big concern. But these are hardly secrets or surprises.
  • I was surprised at the lack of surround entertainment associate with BW. For example, the rides. I did have an excellent pizza at one of the food trucks before the game. Why don't they hang post game?
Everyone obviously is concerned about DT, LB, and Safety on defense. Having to replace the whole "middle" of a defense is a tough assignment for any team aspiring legitimately to win 10 games. But I agree with you about the LB's. Sure Parsons is raw. But he made 8 tackles and was flying to the ball as advertised on Saturday. He took some bad angles, but so do all MLB's at times, including Cabinda last year. Parsons will continue to learn the position (if he stays there), and as someone else noted some people expect too much too soon. I also thought that Darien looked very good, especially after only practicing at LB the last few months. I expect Darien to put on some more muscle and be as strong or stronger than Brown come fall. Miller is also coming along as a LB. Farmer, Brown, Miller, Parsons, Brooks, Johnson, Darien Cooper, Luketa,..... I believe will round into a nice 2 deep by the time the team is tested against pitt next fall (if they are even tested....).

At DT, we are about where we were 2 years ago when Givens broke into the lineup as a RS freshman (looking for the pieces of a rotation), except we have much better young talent in numbers than we did then. Shelton, Jordan (coming back from injury in the Fall - didn't play on Saturday), Hansard, Bolds, Barber.... lots of talent that will continue to develop behind 2 starters that have played lots of football (Givens and Windsor). It's the nature of college football. But now we have a legit 85 player roster so with the eye for talent that CJF has used to stock the roster and the staff's ability to develop the young talent I believe we will have a very nice DT rotation come Fall.

And as long as Sanders stays healthy I believe we have a nice RB rotation. Without Sanders PSU would rely on JBrown and Slade, which could turn out great anyway, but I like having a bigger RB as the go to guy. I agree that JBrown's S&C work shows, and with Slade we will have a nice group. Allen has looked the part before, but when the season starts he ends up on the bench and that's what I see happening in 2018 as well - but we'll see......

The other thing that stuck out to me was the nice play by the young WR's. Hamler, Hippenhammer, and Sullivan-Brown look the part to compliment the returning experienced players at WR to form a very talented group that will be upgraded further by Shorter this Fall.

Last edited:
Some posters are still wringing their hands about the Oline, but I thought the first unit looked real good. No negative plays, opened up holes for Trace and Allen and no one layed a glove on Trace during pass protection. I notice more forward push on running plays and did not notice any blown blocking assignments. Granted, it was a pretty vanilla defensive look.

Some posters are still wringing their hands about the Oline, but I thought the first unit looked real good. No negative plays, opened up holes for Trace and Allen and no one layed a glove on Trace during pass protection. I notice more forward push on running plays and did not notice any blown blocking assignments. Granted, it was a pretty vanilla defensive look.
didnt lay a glove on TM? Look at the first play of the game, the DT puts 62 back in TM lap. And he's not even a starting B1G DT. Let the tape roll to the deep pass almost intercepted, same thing. (4-5 plays later)

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
didnt lay a glove on TM? Look at the first play of the game, the DT puts 62 back in TM lap. And he's not even a starting B1G DT. Let the tape roll to the deep pass almost intercepted, same thing.

I watched 62 a lot and thought overall he played pretty well for his first time in a game like situation with the first team. He knew his assignments and moved some people on running plays. You correctly point out he needs work on handling a bull rush. The good thing about the Oline is that if necessary, they can make the move you suggest if needed. they have the depth. My guess is that they want a backup tackle ready to go and a back up guard ready to go without moving everyone around like they have in the past.

Thanks, I always look forward to your observations. I was especially in need this offseason.

Reactions: Obliviax
Thanks, I always look forward to your observations. I was especially in need this offseason.
Thanks...I am a little late and didn't want to recap what others have already noted. BTW, I really liked the athleticism of 14 (McPherason) and 2 (Isaih Humphries) in the DBackfield.

I also noticed Zero limp from Tommy Stevens (even though he wasn't dressed). That is a good sign. With PSU's quiescence on injuries, I was afraid Tommy may be hurt more than we knew.

Finally, saw two big hits. I was surprised by them, in a practice game.

I watched 62 a lot and thought overall he played pretty well for his first time in a game like situation with the first team. He knew his assignments and moved some people on running plays. You correctly point out he needs work on handling a bull rush. The good thing about the Oline is that if necessary, they can make the move you suggest if needed. they have the depth. My guess is that they want a backup tackle ready to go and a back up guard ready to go without moving everyone around like they have in the past.

Yep, the depth considerations are a good point. Having a legit backup OT is a consideration. The OL at this point seems to have a number of up and coming interior players behind Menet - Thorpe and Miranda particularly. So that if Menet realizes his potential the depth spread out is a nice situation to have.....

Usually we are hearing “The defense is always ahead of the offense in Spring”. Doesn’t seem to be the case this year.

someone else said this, but I agree with them, I think out best OL would be L-R 71, 74, 66, 52, 77 Line them up and keep them there!!
Especially since I think a big reason the OLine took a step back last year, is because they moved Mahon from LT (where he was playing so well) to RG and moved Bates from Guard to Tackle.

The way the OLine was gelling at the end of the ‘16 season (B1G Title Game, Rose Bowl) there should never have been a regression with basically all the starters back.

Stop tinkering with something that isn’t broken!!!

Just a couple of my random takeaways.
We are loaded at WR.
And INMO we are loaded at CB as well. Thought they all looked very good.
I liked what I saw from the QB's especially the backups
TE is going to be an "issue". Lots of playing time available for the incoming freshman.
Kickoffs, bad but he did make his FG.
LB's have a ton of talent and ability. If they and the coaches can figure it out they will be good.
I think Slade has the opportunity to get playing time.
Agree about the food trucks after the game but that goes for them during the season as well.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Thanks...I am a little late and didn't want to recap what others have already noted. BTW, I really liked the athleticism of 14 (McPherason) and 2 (Isaih Humphries) in the DBackfield.

I also noticed Zero limp from Tommy Stevens (even though he wasn't dressed). That is a good sign. With PSU's quiescence on injuries, I was afraid Tommy may be hurt more than we knew.

Kind of the same with Juwan. I saw him walking on the sidelines and while he may not have been completely limp free he was moving around pretty well.

Especially since I think a big reason the OLine took a step back last year, is because they moved Mahon from LT (where he was playing so well) to RG and moved Bates from Guard to Tackle.

The way the OLine was gelling at the end of the ‘16 season (B1G Title Game, Rose Bowl) there should never have been a regression with basically all the starters back.

Stop tinkering with something that isn’t broken!!!
I thought the line was good until the third Qtr of the tOSU game and we suffered an injury. So the line was "good" but "thin" (lack of depth).

Reactions: SR108 and BBrown
I thought the line was good until the third Qtr of the tOSU game and we suffered an injury. So the line was "good" but "thin" (lack of depth).
Barkley barely averaged 4yds/carry last year. Many games was held under 3&4 yds/carry.

They took a significant step back last year.

Just a couple of my random takeaways.
We are loaded at WR.
And INMO we are loaded at CB as well. Thought they all looked very good.
I liked what I saw from the QB's especially the backups
TE is going to be an "issue". Lots of playing time available for the incoming freshman.
Kickoffs, bad but he did make his FG.
LB's have a ton of talent and ability. If they and the coaches can figure it out they will be good.
I think Slade has the opportunity to get playing time.
Agree about the food trucks after the game but that goes for them during the season as well.
Agreed. We did line up two RB's several times, in the backfield. I think it is possible we will see one of the RB's play TE or RB depending upon the need and formation. If Sanders can catch, I can see him moving out of the RB position after they line up, and into a slot/TE position if he can block. Or, you can move a Slade/Journey Brown (who are really fast) to run a pass pattern.

Reactions: BBrown
Agreed. We did line up two RB's several times, in the backfield. I think it is possible we will see one of the RB's play TE or RB depending upon the need and formation. If Sanders can catch, I can see him moving out of the RB position after they line up, and into a slot/TE position if he can block. Or, you can move a Slade/Journey Brown (who are really fast) to run a pass pattern.

I thought Mark Allen rand really well. He should get more touches. Really obvious that we could have used Robinson, but maybe Slade will be able to come in and play right away - Brown looks light/lanky. Needs more weight IMO.

Reactions: BBrown
Barkley barely averaged 4yds/carry last year. Many games was held under 3&4 yds/carry.

They took a significant step back last year.
yeah...again, after tOSU. PSU scored 52, 33, 56, 21, 45, 31, 42. The 21 #26 ran for 211 yards and had 94 yards receiving. the next games, tOSU and after, were 38, 24, 35, 56, 66, 35. In those games, the red are losses and were quality opponents where we didn't have our starting OL.

Three people I wanted to get a good look at were S. Clifford, J Brown and M Parsons. Clifford didnt play as much as I wanted because of a hamstring. But the longer he did played the better he looked. His last drive for a TD was excellent. And the TD pass was just perfect. I wanted to see more of his running skills but the hamstring put the kibosh on that. I was disappointed in J Brown. Not because he doesn't have talent he just didn't get much blocking so I could get a better feel for him. I thought Parsons did well. Made some tackles but I’ve lowered my expectations a little for him in the fall. He needs time. More than I originally thought. His lack of HS LB play showed. At least to me. He reacted way too slow on the TD pass against him. I still think he’s going to be a star for us.

I thought Mark Allen rand really well. He should get more touches. Really obvious that we could have used Robinson, but maybe Slade will be able to come in and play right away - Brown looks light/lanky. Needs more weight IMO.
I also thought Johnathan Thomas ran well. He is 5-11 and 220 lb. But we've seen RB's flash due to the lack of fire in defenses on blue/white games before. Sad that the kid is buried in the depth chart at that size. I agree Allen looked really good but I fear he is one-dimensional at that size. At 5-6 and 187, can he pass block? I am a bit concerned about Slade as well (pass blocking) but he may be such a good runner/receiver it may not matter.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Three people I wanted to get a good look at were S. Clifford, J Brown and M Parsons. Clifford didnt play as much as I wanted because of a hamstring. But the longer he did played the better he looked. His last drive for a TD was excellent. And the TD pass was just perfect. I wanted to see more of his running skills but the hamstring put the kibosh on that. I was disappointed in J Brown. Not because he doesn't have talent he just didn't get much blocking so I could get a better feel for him. I thought Parsons did well. Made some tackles but I’ve lowered my expectations a little for him in the fall. He needs time. More than I originally thought. His lack of HS LB play showed. At least to me. He reacted way too slow on the TD pass against him. I still think he’s going to be a star for us.
I agree on J-Brown but he certainly has the athleticism and size. he really looked like a athlete that belongs. I thought Parsons played from sideline to sideline. He had 8 tackles, leading the team. He'll get better. We have to understand he should be attending his high school prom right now.

I was actually kind of surprised at how much "thicker" Journey was than I thought he would be.
I thought he also showed the ability to move and that he wasn't just a straight ahead runner.
He will be interesting to see as the Kick return guy.

Reactions: bxle
didnt lay a glove on TM? Look at the first play of the game, the DT puts 62 back in TM lap. And he's not even a starting B1G DT. Let the tape roll to the deep pass almost intercepted, same thing. (4-5 plays later)

Which DT put the bull rush on Menet? Was it Barber? The next play, Menet handled him easily on the run. Blocked him upright and turned him.

Most of the concerns about the OL are from fans who can't stand or understand the RPO. We could line up 5 AAs across the front and still not be a team that pushes the other team's DL back for 5 yards anytime we need it.

Of course they conveniently overlook the fact that we were 18th in the country in scoring offense in 2016 and improved to 5th (tied with tOSU) in 2017 despite the fact that this offense has that shortcoming.

I really like the depth CJF has built in the D backfield. Considering the two likely starters didn't play (Reid and Amani O), TCF, Johnson, McPhearson and DJ Brown all looked good with Zech almost having three picks against the Blue. Scott and Taylor should be solid at safety with Wade and Sutherland ready to help out. Like most I am still concern most at TE and DT depth with a few worries about growing pains at LB. Every other position group is solid, has depth (OL for once) and experience. Obli's first point is spot on ... I don't know if I have ever seen so many players (maybe not all 85, but many) look like they could be starters.

I really like the depth CJF has built in the D backfield. Considering the two likely starters didn't play (Reid and Amani O), TCF, Johnson, McPhearson and DJ Brown all looked good with Zech almost having three picks against the Blue. Scott and Taylor should be solid at safety with Wade and Sutherland ready to help out. Like most I am still concern most at TE and DT depth with a few worries about growing pains at LB. Every other position group is solid, has depth (OL for once) and experience. Obli's first point is spot on ... I don't know if I have ever seen so many players (maybe not all 85, but many) look like they could be starters.
Totally agree...only concern is that Zack (#14) got totally burned on a deep ball but Mr. 50/50 totally underthrew it (I think he saw him late and threw without getting his feet under him). Regardless that, 14 got burned by 3 yards and that would normally have been a long TD.

Which DT put the bull rush on Menet? Was it Barber? The next play, Menet handled him easily on the run. Blocked him upright and turned him.
How about the play on the G/L Andrew Calaharon (sp?) pointed out.

I also thought Johnathan Thomas ran well. He is 5-11 and 220 lb. But we've seen RB's flash due to the lack of fire in defenses on blue/white games before. Sad that the kid is buried in the depth chart at that size. I agree Allen looked really good but I fear he is one-dimensional at that size. At 5-6 and 187, can he pass block? I am a bit concerned about Slade as well (pass blocking) but he may be such a good runner/receiver it may not matter.
The staff has talked about Allen’s strength in pass blocking for a few seasons now. I don’t think that’s an issue at all.

Totally agree...only concern is that Zack (#14) got totally burned on a deep ball but Mr. 50/50 totally underthrew it (I think he saw him late and threw without getting his feet under him). Regardless that, 14 got burned by 3 yards and that would normally have been a long TD.
Normally TM would have been more on target and Zech would have been burned for a long TD, so I agree there. I just liked how the White DBs played since they were at a decided disadvantage with how long the Blue QBs had time to sit in the pocket. The White QBs had much less time to throw making the Blue DBs look better. Either way the defensive backfield looks set for many years to come.

The staff has talked about Allen’s strength in pass blocking for a few seasons now. I don’t think that’s an issue at all.
I agree he is mentally able, but I don't know how a 190 lb guy can take our a 235 lb bull rushing LBer. It is just the physics of it.

1) Re two running backs, Callahan had a pretty good explanation -- it's basically the same set of plays they ran with Gesicki, but they may have to run the offense pretty much without TEs because they don't have TEs ready to play (except Bowers who can't stay healthy). The 2nd running back is playing the same position as Gesicki, just lining up a little differently.

2) Agree about Darien -- he might really be a contributor at LB. Also impressed with Cam Sullivan Brown who has good size and seems to run good routes.

3) Safeties are a work in progress but there were excellent plays a number of times. Wade's play on Hamler to force the fumble was very savvy and physical (and taught Hamler a lesson about ball control that it's better to learn now than during the season). They need more work and consistency but they're going to be really good I think. Like LB, S is going to have to solidify during the pre-conference.

4) I expected too much improvement from the OL last year and learned my lesson. OL doesn't improve in leaps and bounds -- it's long, slow curve. They will be incrementally better than last year, and improve during the season, but it won't be leaps and bounds. I do think they won't get confused much by defensive stunts -- there is good experience there now. I do think pass protection will be pretty solid and that will help McSorley & new receivers get established.

And yeah, just because we have an athletic and experienced OL doesn't mean this offense is going to look like PSU '82. It's not an I-formation offense, there's no fullback, so it's just not going to the run the ball in the way that PSU fans expect.

DT -- looks exactly like what we'd expect. Two veterans, a lot of young players still looking green out there. A little like DE was last year. There are some very athletic people -- Barber and Hansard look great, but they will be learning all year and let's hope the seniors in front of them stay healthy.

Most of the concerns about the OL are from fans who can't stand or understand the RPO. We could line up 5 AAs across the front and still not be a team that pushes the other team's DL back for 5 yards anytime we need it.

Of course they conveniently overlook the fact that we were 18th in the country in scoring offense in 2016 and improved to 5th (tied with tOSU) in 2017 despite the fact that this offense has that shortcoming.
I understand the RPO just fine. My concern with the OL is, we ask them to do too much. We have the OT's pulling and trapping LBers (see play 2 of the game) we have OG pulling. It takes time to teach and rep all of that stuff. You can block the same plays without doing all of that. Why is it that Mahon played well at OT but struggled at OG last year. Was it he got worse? Or was he put in impossible situations? I think the later. See below.

I agree he is mentally able, but I don't know how a 190 lb guy can take our a 235 lb bull rushing LBer. It is just the physics of it.

Allen has a low center of gravity. He can get under the LBs and has the strength and balance to take them on. Franklin has singled out Allen for his past blocking ability on several occasions. I doubt Franklin would do that if Allen wasn’t blocking well against our backers.

Allen has a low center of gravity. He can get under the LBs and has the strength and balance to take them on. Franklin has singled out Allen for his past blocking ability on several occasions. I doubt Franklin would do that if Allen wasn’t blocking well against our backers.
Could be CJF is trying to create a smoke screen. If I am an opposing DC and Allen is in there I tell my 235 lb LB to blow up the middle and push the 190 RB into Trace McS's lap. Even if he has a low center of gravity, you can push him back as you have 45 lbs on him. Its simple physics. I don't care who you are, honestly...it is just a physical mismatch.

Should be good and deep this year. I will defer to the coaches on who should be playing where, I have heard both Franklin and Limegrover say that they plan on playing the best five whoever they may be.

So what you're saying is that PSU passes the "looks test"

LdN

Could be CJF is trying to create a smoke screen. If I am an opposing DC and Allen is in there I tell my 235 lb LB to blow up the middle and push the 190 RB into Trace McS's lap. Even if he has a low center of gravity, you can push him back as you have 45 lbs on him. Its simple physics. I don't care who you are, honestly...it is just a physical mismatch.

I doubt Coach Franklin is creating a smoke screen. For what reason? I think you are looking too deeply into this. Yes, the bigger man often has the advantage. But there are certain smaller guys who are like fire plugs. If you have ever taken on a guy like that, you would know what I am talking about. They can use a guys height against them by getting real low and rolling their hips into contact. They can also cut you real quick because they are already low to ground. I haven’t watched a lot of Allen but i have seen him stone some folks. I remember him rocking a LB in the 2017 spring game. I doubt Franklin would single him out for being an effective pass blocker if he wasn’t.

Yes, but remember a back picking up a blitz isn't expected to hold the block long, he just has to slow the guy down and buy the QB another second. Or just throw him off line enough that the QB can step around him. So yeah, a 235 pound linebacker is going to win but if Allen gets into him early, hard with good technique, he can be pretty effective. Allen is experienced and knows where the blitz will be coming from, and he's got good quickness, so I would believe that he's good to be in there (maybe better than Sanders) in passing situations.

Yes, but remember a back picking up a blitz isn't expected to hold the block long, he just has to slow the guy down and buy the QB another second. Or just throw him off line enough that the QB can step around him. So yeah, a 235 pound linebacker is going to win but if Allen gets into him early, hard with good technique, he can be pretty effective. Allen is experienced and knows where the blitz will be coming from, and he's got good quickness, so I would believe that he's good to be in there (maybe better than Sanders) in passing situations.
Agree...but it is a deficiency. Football is like a chess game, you move to reinforce one area, you make the other weak. So, if he does have to hold a block longer, and cannot, you have to gameplan around that. Again, nothing against the player, but there is a reason why a 5-8 guy is never going to play LT. While those reasons are watered down, the physics hold true for a RB as well. If I've got a 220 lb back and a 190 lb back with everything else being equal, I'll take the 220 lb kid seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT