ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. State College Airport...

Pa_catamount

Jul 26, 2001
In two weeks I'll be flying out of State College for the first time. Anyone care to provide some info on parking or any other tips?
Thanks.

Not really different than any other airport, to be honest. It's small, you can show up 45 minutes before your flight and be OK. They are just finishing up a big construction project to vastly expand the parking lot and it's pretty simple. Park car, walk to terminal, get on plane.

Expedited screening only for PreCheck members, no full PreCheck lane. That means fluids and electronics out but shoes and jackets on and a trip through the magnetometer instead of the peep show machine.

Reactions: TheBigUglies
The same blue shirts that check you in also fly the plane. It’s a joke. Show up a half hour before your flight and you’ll be fine. The airport is here for football, not TSa nazis. I was a Quad S and they let me on the flight with no additional security.

Haven't flown out of SCE in a little over a year. Glad to hear the parking is improving. When I last flew out I had to drive over a curb and park in the grass adjacent to a drainage ditch. SUV had no problem getting over the curbs.

Keep an eye on the weather for the whole state. State College airport has been known to shut down for weather problems in Boston, Charlette and Philadelphia because the majority of the aircraft have to come from those destinations to State College. Took me three days one time to catch a flight out of State College to Minnesota because of plane problems at those other airports, even though it was nice weather in SC.

Ok, fess up. Who are you recruiting? What are your tail numbers? Interviewing for a coaching job? Who’s gettin fired?

Can’t post that on Rumor Central without answering........

Flew out of SC many times. Only had one canceled flight due to a nasty storm rolling thru but there is usually flexibility to get you on the next flight a couple hours later. SC typically flies to Philly, Dulles, Chicago, Detroit(and may one or 2 other directs, I heard that had a direct to Orlando but not sure if it is still flying), if there is bad weather or delays at those airports then SC will get messed up as well.

I flew out of there in July. I could have gotten there 30 minutes before my flight and had extra time.

I love small airports. Williamsport is the same way.

I feel the same. I’ve flown out of DUJ in the past. Single engine props connect to PIT and BWI. Check in is a breeze. Free parking. No traffic to contend with. I can be home in under 30 minutes as opposed to driving two hours from PIT. The convenience is worth the little bit of extra layover time.

The Allegiant flight to Orlando still operates. I don't know how, as it was only half full prior to covid. American dropped its Chicago flight for the fall, likely due to covid+no football traffic, so hopefully it comes back. United still operates that route. American still operates Philly and Dulles. Delta does Detroit.

I feel the same. I’ve flown out of DUJ in the past. Single engine props connect to PIT and BWI. Check in is a breeze. Free parking. No traffic to contend with. I can be home in under 30 minutes as opposed to driving two hours from PIT. The convenience is worth the little bit of extra layover time.
What airline flies single engine planes? How long ago was this?

What airline flies single engine planes? How long ago was this?

Last year on a Cessna 208 Caravan. Southern Airways. It's not a luxury trip but it's cheap if you book ahead of time. The altitude was about 7,000 feet. I know this because I was in the front row and I could see the gauges. At one point the co-pilot turned around and asked me if I was doing alright since I told him beforehand I tend to get airsick.

440px-Cessna_208_Caravan_I%2C_Seawings_%28Jet-Ops%29_AN1340640.jpg

Reactions: Madsol
Southern Airways has a lot of the government-funded EAS flights to under served airports/regions.

Last year on a Cessna 208 Caravan. Southern Airways. It's not a luxury trip but it's cheap if you book ahead of time. The altitude was about 7,000 feet. I know this because I was in the front row and I could see the gauges. At one point the co-pilot turned around and asked me if I was doing alright since I told him beforehand I tend to get airsick.

440px-Cessna_208_Caravan_I%2C_Seawings_%28Jet-Ops%29_AN1340640.jpg

Wow, thx for sharing this. I had no idea. Did everyone have to pitch in for gas? Lol

ADVERTISEMENT