ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.: Is there any sport more depressing than American Mens singles tennis?

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
Here we go again. Every one of our lame a$$ "men" are long gone in 5 days in yet another major. Was Tiafoe a fluke last year? How in the hell did Tommy Paul make the Australian semis?

Just when I think I'm out THEY PULLED ME BACK IN to believing there was hope...and yet again they vanished at Rolland Garros.

Do you think McEnroe and Fowler ever look at each other off camera and say "Jesus Christ I'm sick of covering women's tennis every year as if the men don't exist.. "

Reactions: psu00
I really feel like the academy set ups ruined it actually...outside of Tiafoe none of these guys even LOOK like athletes...trust fund Richie rich kids really.

Reactions: PSUPride1
I really feel like the academy set ups ruined it actually...outside of Tiafoe none of these guys even LOOK like athletes...trust fund Richie rich kids really.
Interesting thought. If I remember correctly, Andy Roddick’s brother was the chosen one with the talent to take him into the academy system. Unfortunately, he had back problems and had to give it up.

Conversely, Andy played high school sports while tagging along behind his brother. He had no big time expectations. One day the light finally went on for Andy to jump to the next level and his athleticism obviously helped.

Here we go again. Every one of our lame a$$ "men" are long gone in 5 days in yet another major. Was Tiafoe a fluke last year? How in the hell did Tommy Paul make the Australian semis?

Just when I think I'm out THEY PULLED ME BACK IN to believing there was hope...and yet again they vanished at Rolland Garros.

Do you think McEnroe and Fowler ever look at each other off camera and say "Jesus Christ I'm sick of covering women's tennis every year as if the men don't exist.. "
Yes. PSU baseball and PSU Women’s Basketball.

Reactions: brupsu
What's tennis ?
A game lots of people used to play for recreation, and a sport that was interesting to watch.

Don't know about where you live, but I rarely see people playing tennis any more, and not much spectator interest other than Wimbledon and US Open.

tennis is a dying sport. pickleball taking over. wouldn't be shocked to see tennis fade away into oblivion in the next 20 years.

What's tennis ?
One of the most popular sports world wide, which has lost interest and participation in terms of the male side of the sport in America. As a women's sport in America it remains both popular and successful in terms of United States women competing for championships on the world stage. As a men's sport, it's sadly no longer a sport in which our better male athletes want to compete in.

The Pickle ball comment Is a pathetic joke by some jerk off who doesn't respect the sport.

One of the most popular sports world wide, which has lost interest and participation in terms of the male side of the sport in America. As a women's sport in America it remains both popular and successful in terms of United States women competing for championships on the world stage. As a men's sport, it's sadly no longer a sport in which our better male athletes want to compete in.

The Pickle ball comment Is a pathetic joke by some jerk off who doesn't respect the sport.
We have an ex-tennis pro in town ... built a club and tried to force his progeny to follow his footsteps. They rejected it and now play basketball and baseball only. The club is deteriorating while pickleball courts are popping up everywhere, indoors and outdoors. We're in a very well to do area where tennis/golf/swimming were once in high demand. Only golf has hung on.

What type of fantasy world do we live in where we expect to dominate every sport worldwide? We’re not dominating “x” sport and invariably we get psychoanalysis of the cultural phenomena driving it.

A similar situation exists in the Czech Rep. For such a small country it produces an incredible amount of high ranking women's tennis players. On the men's side not so much. An uncle who lives in Prague says that golf is drawing athletes away from tennis. I'm not sure that's the same case in US.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Its the French Open on red clay. There are barely any red clay courts in the country. Thats the problem.

A similar situation exists in the Czech Rep. For such a small country it produces an incredible amount of high ranking women's tennis players. On the men's side not so much. An uncle who lives in Prague says that golf is drawing athletes away from tennis. I'm not sure that's the same case in US.
Plus there are some hot Czech women. If I were young, single, and in the game, I'd be looking for a Czech mate.

Plus there are some hot Czech women. If I were young, single, and in the game, I'd be looking for a Czech mate.
R.bbd66ffa142e68dd10c9bfa8f0d284e9

A cursory google search shows that tennis participation is actually on the upswing with an increase of over 1 million new players in the last year.

"The 23.6 million tennis players in the U.S. is more than the combined number of people playing pickleball (8.9 million), badminton (6.5 million), racquetball (3.5 million) and squash (1.2 million).

This growth has been driven by people of color, which now represents 38% of the overall tennis-playing population, up from 32.5% in 2019. Participation has seen the most dramatic increases amongst Hispanic/Latino players, with 3.8 million players in 2022, representing a 90 percent increase over the last three years. In addition, tennis-playing in the Black/African American participation increased by 46% over the last three years, with 2.3 million players in 2022, and in the Asian/Pacific Islander participation by 37% in the same span, with 2.4 million players in 2022."

No skin in the game personally as I've only tried the sport a handful of times, but just thought I'd share the sport isn't quite dead yet.

A cursory google search shows that tennis participation is actually on the upswing with an increase of over 1 million new players in the last year.

"The 23.6 million tennis players in the U.S. is more than the combined number of people playing pickleball (8.9 million), badminton (6.5 million), racquetball (3.5 million) and squash (1.2 million).

This growth has been driven by people of color, which now represents 38% of the overall tennis-playing population, up from 32.5% in 2019. Participation has seen the most dramatic increases amongst Hispanic/Latino players, with 3.8 million players in 2022, representing a 90 percent increase over the last three years. In addition, tennis-playing in the Black/African American participation increased by 46% over the last three years, with 2.3 million players in 2022, and in the Asian/Pacific Islander participation by 37% in the same span, with 2.4 million players in 2022."

No skin in the game personally as I've only tried the sport a handful of times, but just thought I'd share the sport isn't quite dead yet.
I'm really back and forth on this subject. It's not my fault though because it serves some well.

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues

really? my father in law is a huge tennis guy, started playing in his 30's and is now in his 70's. he belongs to a tennis community complex down at the shore. a couple of years ago they built 6 pickleball courts. They are full 100% of the time to the point where they converted the 4 tennis courts next to them to pickleball courts also as the demand is so high. you can think pickleball sucks, i have no skin in the game as i don't play either, but to think pickleball is not taking over tennis is just silly.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Then is there a developmental problem in the USTA? The stats you sighted indicate there should be a sufficient pool of athletic kids to draw from. Are the ethnic communities being shut out of quality coaching because they lack the financial resources like the "Richie riches" (as one poster called them) who could be taking up the time of the quality coaches?

tennis is a dying sport. pickleball taking over. wouldn't be shocked to see tennis fade away into oblivion in the next 20 years.
Ratings aren't that bad--though attendance is down especially for WTA events
Tennis is a much better spectator sport than pickle ball. I doubt we see tennis fade. MLB should die before tennis.

Ratings aren't that bad--though attendance is down especially for WTA events
Tennis is a much better spectator sport than pickle ball. I doubt we see tennis fade. MLB should die before tennis.
there is a difference between TV ratings for major tennis events and the quantity of people that are playing pickleball versus tennis. i completely agree that pickleball will never be a major TV sporting event. but when it comes to participation in people playing tennis versus pickleball, that is only going to be going in pickleball's favor from here on out.

Over the years, I have developed a sports creed I live by. When it comes to basketball and hockey, I would rather watch paint dry, when we get to golf and tennis, I'll do the painting.

When does Connors play McEnroe? Oh wait, that is the last time I watched men's tennis.

When does Connors play McEnroe? Oh wait, that is the last time I watched men's tennis.
Agassi vs Sampras was better than Connors/McEnroe. But besides a few years when Andy Roddick was playing well in the mid/late 2000's, there hasn't been a men's tennis player that has garnered any level of excitement in the past 15 years.

Agassi vs Sampras was better than Connors/McEnroe. But besides a few years when Andy Roddick was playing well in the mid/late 2000's, there hasn't been a men's tennis player that has garnered any level of excitement in the past 15 years.
That's because most of them look like emo actors rather than actual athletes, other than Tiafoe of course, whose ceiling is an occasional quarterfinal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT