ADVERTISEMENT

NYT reporting 1 pilot locked out of cockpit

lattydaddy

Jan 8, 2014
As it went down. Either one left and the other suffered a medical emergency or the one intentionally brought it down. You could hear one pilot knocking then pounding on door then trying to break it down without a response from the other

The story just keeps adding one twist after another.

Wow...

I am a lousy predictor when it comes to air tragedies.

That would also make it not pilot error, and not equipment failure if true.

I was thinking it was equipment failure with pilots trying to save the day. Doesn't sound that way if his is true.

But.....

I guess somebody could argue it was pilot error for getting locked out. But, that might have been procedure....having to be let back in. And, moreover:

Also, I guess it is possible that there was an equipment issue that the pilot went out to check on. Hopefully they will locate the data recorder, intact.

I find these mysteries interesting. I am not alone, apparently. Hence, so many video stories explaining plane wrecks.

This post was edited on 3/25 9:05 PM by Ten Thousan Marbles

Wow indeed .....

absolutely horrible if that's why this plane crashed.

I've been on enough regional jets and such that I know SOP if one of the pilots needs to go to the bathroom or such: (a) The cockpit calls the flight attendant, (b) pilot # 1 unlocks the door and leaves the cockpit, (c) the flight attendant sits in front of the re-locked door while pilot # 1 is doing his/her business, (d) once pilot # 1 comes back he/she is let back into the cockpit by pilot # 2, the door is re-locked, and then the flight attendant goes back to the main cabin.

Unfortunately, there's really not much you can do if pilot # 2 in the above is insane and won't let his/her co-worker back in. Thankfully that very very very very very very very very very very very rarely happens.
This post was edited on 3/25 9:23 PM by michnittlion

what if the co-pilot had an aneurism? Could that cause it?

Otherwise suicide or terrorism?

Just a very odd story. Talk about bad luck of epic proportions that the copilot has a heart attack or passes away once the other pilot leaves to go to the bathroom on a two hour flight. The chance of that has to be astronomical. Apparently the descent was rather controlled and steady and the speed was relatively steady. Don't know if that would be due to a specific act by the pilot or by some computer program. Not sure why the computer would suddenly do that if a pilot passed away. Odd story so far.

This post was edited on 3/25 9:58 PM by psu00

the statistical likelihood of the pilot in the cockpit suffering a...

debilitating episode while the other pilot was locked out of the cockpit, is probably almost unmeasurable unless we start using micro fractions.

It's really not THAT impossible ....

I know of 3 commercial flights within the last 15 months --- two of them domestic United flights (DSM-DEN and IAH-SEA), one in New Zealand ----- where one of the pilot had an in-flight, in-cockpit heart-attack or aneyrusm.

In each case, the other pilot was in the cockpit. But if you figure "5% of the time during a flight, one of the pilots won't be in the cockpit (e.g., going to the bathroom)", it's not completely impossible. There are a whole lot of commercial flights up there.

Flight attendant goes inside cockpit when a pilot leaves specifically so if a pilot had a heart attack they can get the other pilot. Seems like a suicide to me.

Happens frequently on my flights --- especially the regional ones

Regional planes are typically booked to do 30-minute turn-arounds, with the pilots booked to do 3-5 flights per day. Between paperwork, walk-arounds & prepping for the next flight, they literally do not have time while on the ground to hit the crapper.

The early Malaysian Air reporting was often wrong.

I realize the locked out pilot reporting is allegedly what voice recording indicates, but there will likely be reports and theories all over the map until more hard evidence surfaces -- if it ever does. I've tuned out watching the non-stop CNN et al expert commenting. While interesting to a point, and probably what the public absorbs, I can only take so much.

That's what I was wondering. It would seem prudent to have two people in the cockpit at all times even for the extremely rare occurrence that a pilot would have a heart attack. It seems odd that there was no stewardess in the cockpit to let the other pilot in.

Also, why would the plane that was literally just set on it's appropriate cruising altitude suddenly go into a relatively controlled dive at a controlled speed one minute after being set? Any pilots here want to give their insight? I'm not sure why that would happen without an intentional act by a pilot.

Re: The early Malaysian Air reporting was often wrong.

Originally posted by Class of 67:
I realize the locked out pilot reporting is allegedly what voice recording indicates, but there will likely be reports and theories all over the map until more hard evidence surfaces -- if it ever does. I've tuned out watching the non-stop CNN et al expert commenting. While interesting to a point, and probably what the public absorbs, I can only take so much.
So why didn't the pilot in the cabin make a distress call? He brought the plane down. Basque terrorist or _ _ _ _ _ _ terrorist?

It sounds like mass murder to me.

Re: The early Malaysian Air reporting was often wrong.

Come on now. We no longer say "terrorism". This would just be another act of "workplace violence". ;).

Seriously, if it truly were some Basque (or other) terrorist the whole point of that would be to make a spectacle, cause a commotion, and then take responsibility for the act. The fact that hasn't happened pushes me more toward accident but the story is odd.

This post was edited on 3/25 10:38 PM by psu00

These jokers gotta figure out how to pinch it off during sky-time..l. Hows about sprinkling thr tarmac during walk-arounds?

Stay at the yoke fellahs

This post was edited on 3/25 11:26 PM by massimoManca II

those guys do spend alot of time at the airport bars between flights

These jokers gotta figure out how to pinch it off during sky-time..l. Hows about sprinkling thr tarmac during walk-arounds?

Stay at the yoke fellahs

Re: Wow...

It generally is a series of errors by one or more people, Rarely is there one person responsible unless it is a terrorist act.

here's why I am pretty certain this tragedy was noooooo accident

If what I read on an airline-oriented forum is true (hey, it's the interwebs - gotta be true)

Was thinking there is likely some unpublished (for obvious reasons) protocol for a crew-member to access a flight-deck via the new re-inforced doors.... Well I just read that there IS a way for a pilot to so so.... And this method can be disabled and it's a manual/active process by those in the cockpit.... Thus, apparently, if this co-pilot was stricken by a catastrophic medical issuec- he would have had to fallen on the lever/switch that disables the secret crew-access feature..... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Pardon me as I Seem To be falling into the rabbit-hole

The irony is the planes fly themselves.

Pilots are largely unnecessary except for rare emergencies. A lot of these flights, all the pilot is doing is turning on autopilot. It could be we'd be safer flying in pilotless planes that are controlled remotely by air traffic control.

Prosecutor saying co pilot Andreas Lubitz (28) Locked the door, descended intentionally. No medical situation. He intentionally did it

Originally posted by lattydaddy:
Prosecutor saying co pilot Andreas Lubitz (28) Locked the door, descended intentionally. No medical situation. He intentionally did it
Yes. Only one question remains. Why?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT