ADVERTISEMENT

Now that they are joining the Big Ten, could USC and UCLA add wrestling?

Maybe once the NCAA fully sponsors it. , No A5 AD is going to touch any sport with a ten-foot pole unless it provides either Director’s Cup points, or there is outside pressure (read: the lawsuit that got Iowa to add women’s wrestling).

Note: this was specifically written about women’s wrestling.

Last edited:
Maybe once the NCAA fully sponsors it. , No A5 AD is going to touch any sport with a ten-foot pole unless it provides either Director’s Cup points, or there is outside pressure (read: the lawsuit that got Iowa to add women’s wrestling).

Note: this was specifically written about women’s wrestling.
Not every sport is used for directors cup points if the school has more sports than can be used. I don’t know how many sports either school has, but I suppose I could look it up.

As to pressure, they don’t have to add women’s wrestling, but the law would require something to be added if adding men’s wrestling put them out of Title IX compliance.

If USC or UCLA or both put together a fully funded wrestling program competing in the Big10, in 5 years Rutgers would be a notch or two on down the Big10 ladder.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Not any time soon. Both schools are going to have massive travel costs for all existing non-revenue sports, and pressure to not cut any of those.
Good point. I get expansion, but travel for Cali teams is going to be insane. Especially for sports that have games/matches/meets.. multiple times a week.

I’d expect ASU to be the team that takes it on the chin if USC starts up a team. A LOT of their big name guys over the years are from CA. And a degree from USC > ASU. Connections matter.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I’d expect ASU to be the team that takes it on the chin if USC starts up a team. A LOT of their big name guys over the years are from CA. And a degree from USC > ASU. Connections matter.
UCLA yes, USC maybe. UCLA > USC in many majors without the price tag. Partial scholarships at USC still mean massive bills.

Would this move Rutgers up the ladder?

or down....

I need to be careful with these types of comments, I now know one of their coaches, he wrestled with my son and is a great person. I wanted to tell him congratulations, but Rutgers.... really? I kid....

If USC or UCLA or both put together a fully funded wrestling program competing in the Big10, in 5 years Rutgers would be a notch or two on down the Big10 ladder.
We do have a Resident (Athlete)/Poster on this Board and a Rutgers expert. I'll wait for his post to see how things go with Rutgers.

I'd be all for the USC cheerleader's having a wrestling team and wrestling at Rec Hall. 🙂
giphy.gif

If my review is accurate, Wrestling is the only Men's or Women's sport that all 14 current Big Ten schools have that neither USC or UCLA has. The only other sport that all 14 Big Ten schools have but one or the other of USC or UCLA does not have is Softball (USC does not have it).

That said, finances and Title IX are huge factors in the start-up of any new NCAA-affiliated sport. Imo, adding wrestling at either school is doubtful, though I'm always hopeful.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT