ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the Big Ten has authorized us to play, this is the next B1G thing standing in our way: COVID

Some day we'll look back and WTF we were thinking treating covid like the plague.

These games aren't being canceled due to covid, they're being canceled due to the draconian quarantine measures that puts an entire position group in lockdown for no good reason

Last edited:
More: https://bigten.org/news/2020/9/16/t...ball-season-to-resume-october-23-24-2020.aspx

Each institution will designate a Chief Infection Officer (CInO) who will oversee the collection and reporting of data for the Big Ten Conference. Team test positivity rate and population positivity rate thresholds will be used to determine recommendations for continuing practice and competition.

All COVID-19 positive student-athletes will have to undergo comprehensive cardiac testing to include labs and biomarkers, ECG, Echocardiogram and a Cardiac MRI. Following cardiac evaluation, student-athletes must receive clearance from a cardiologist designated by the university for the primary purpose of cardiac clearance for COVID-19 positive student-athletes. The earliest a student-athlete can return to game competition is 21 days following a COVID-19 positive diagnosis.

In addition to the medical protocols approved, the 14 Big Ten institutions will establish a cardiac registry in an effort to examine the effects on COVID-19 positive student-athletes. The registry and associated data will attempt to answer many of the unknowns regarding the cardiac manifestations in COVID-19 positive elite athletes.

21 days sounds like too much. MLB has no definite time, but requires 2 negative tests 24 hours or more apart. After an initial glitch attributed to the Marlins, this has worked well IMHO N

Some day we'll look back and WTF we were thinking treating covid like the plague.

These games aren't being canceled due to covid, they're being canceled due to the draconian quarantine measures that puts an entire position group in lockdown for no good reason

this is a really important point that is getting glossed over. cancelling for "COVID" does not mean anyone actually tested positive. I hear the UNCC coach talking about the fact that he had all these OL being quarantined due to "contact tracing". this is the first I heard about that.

if we all have a 15 min result from a saliva test, then why is that not the standard.

Reactions: JustinTyme
this is a really important point that is getting glossed over. cancelling for "COVID" does not mean anyone actually tested positive. I hear the UNCC coach talking about the fact that he had all these OL being quarantined due to "contact tracing". this is the first I heard about that.

if we all have a 15 min result from a saliva test, then why is that not the standard.
Not everyone has access to the 15 minute test. Even if they did G5 schools probably can't afford daily testing.

I'm not sure why more schools aren't using SalivaDirect. It is non-proprietary and while it is not "instant" results you can easily have "same day" results because the university labs can run it themselves (even UNCC -- it is cheap and any lab that is already running PCR can run it).

195 new cases today being reported in Centre County. The PA total was something like 837.

So for fun, I took at look at ESPN's behind the scenes of the big resumption of play decision piece. Most hilarious part, buried about a third of the way in, was an anonymous source quoted as saying the exercise was about giving the presidents' cover. The rest of the article, naturally, is devoted to giving the presidents cover.

Reactions: Ski
I know the B12 came out with very specific guidelines as to when a team must cancel regarding total number of players, players at position groups, etc. I don't believe the ACC has done so, but i could be wrong. Regardless, I am puzzled about the lack of transparency in dealing with these issues.

Does this mean ND has 13 players unable to play or 23? Either way, don't they likely have close to 100 players on the team? So, are they saying they can't play a football game with at least 75 players who apparently don't have covid?

I realize we are in unprecedented times, but i would hope there would be more definitive answers to many questions regarding when games are canceled. Seems like it is just up to the whim of each individual school.

For those that think Warren is bad, check out what the PAC 12 commish did. He moved the date of bonuses up, took his 2.5 mil bonus, then laid off and furloughed 94 of his 196 person staff.

• Wow
So PSU FB being very careful with Covid may work against us since we have more players who haven't tested positive yet.

It also explain this rash of pot busts. Covid meta data suggest people who smoke are less likey to catch the virus. They were just exercising preventative medicine.
Good one lol

Centre County daily numbers went from 195 to 47 to 124 during the first part of this week.

State College schools are going back to in person learning because despite the case count on campus, the rest of the community hasn't been affected (shocker)

Reactions: TheBigUglies
OK there has to be something very wrong with PSU's dashboard.

Last week they had 270-some cases with 470-some pending tests. Somehow the large majority of those pending tests came back positive since they now show 597 positives for last week. This despite only 270 some of the first 2200 tests of the week coming back positive. Is PSU double counting cases?

Reactions: ChiTownLion
OK there has to be something very wrong with PSU's dashboard.

Last week they had 270-some cases with 470-some pending tests. Somehow the large majority of those pending tests came back positive since they now show 597 positives for last week. This despite only 270 some of the first 2200 tests of the week coming back positive. Is PSU double counting cases?
The dashboard is not very well presented in a number of ways.

I noticed that it works at lot better in IE (Chrome has some issues with the platform).

Few things:

1) I would focus most on the "current active cases" number. If you focus on the number of positives in a given week (or even the trend in that) it ignores the fact that students are recovering (and thereby subtracting themselves from the total problem). Note: that there are WAY fewer current active cases than there are "total positive cases". This is a good thing.

2) One thing that jumps out at me is that the on demand testing has a 18% positivity rate and the random testing only has a 1%. This suggests that many of the people who are going to on demand testing have covid like symptoms (out of which 1 in 5 actually have covid). Will be interesting to see how this number changes over the course of flu season but I would suspect that the positivity rate for on demand testing will go down as more students will present with covid like symptoms but actually have the flu.

3) As per above, the 1% positivity rate among the general population (i.e. the random testing, assuming this is a true random draw from the population), seems about right, although it's tough to tell because most jurisdictions are either not doing random testing or not reporting it in this fashion.

4) The low number of students in quarantine/isolation seemed odd to me at first, but I assume that means kids are either going home or live off campus (these are only on campus numbers) rather than quarantining on campus.

29 cases today in Centre County.
I get nervous because my Mom lives in a senior community there, but can isolate.
I am also looking at what is going on in Europe, and I have to conclude this virus must have some significant level of seasonality.

ADVERTISEMENT