ADVERTISEMENT

Nova spending $60M for a makeover of the Pavilion.......

CF LION

May 29, 2001
Gonna make it harder to recruit Philly kids....

slidev3.jpg

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...get-60-million-makeover-basketball-arena.html

Reactions: Bob78
How good would this year's team be if the NCAA did not "flex their ???" Jay gave up trying to talk to them.

Reactions: rjg82
I have no idea why they don't use a gigantic convention center designed for country concerts and Home improvement conventions, with seats a mile from the court, and then throw a giant curtain down over half the arena for home games.

Their whole concept of how to run a basketball program is mind boggling. Dimwits.

I have no idea why they don't use a gigantic convention center designed for country concerts and Home improvement conventions, with seats a mile from the court, and then throw a giant curtain down over half the arena for home games.

Their whole concept of how to run a basketball program is mind boggling. Dimwits.
Are you maybe replying to someone I have on ignore or are you talking about Villanova's basketball program?

Are you maybe replying to someone I have on ignore or are you talking about Villanova's basketball program?
I find that it is very helpful for everyone to quote or reply when directing a comment at a specific post and not a general comment related to the theme of the original post. It's especially helpful when you have people on ignore, like I do, but is also helpful because there could be other posts drop in between yours and the post you are responding to. Quoting or replying lets everyone know to whom you are directing your post.

Reactions: artsandletters
I find that it is very helpful for everyone to quote or reply when directing a comment at a specific post and not a general comment related to the theme of the original post. It's especially helpful when you have people on ignore, like I do, but is also helpful because there could be other posts drop in between yours and the post you are responding to. Quoting or replying lets everyone know to whom you are directing your post.
Yeah. I'm curious to know if he was referring to Jay Wright as a dimwit who doesn't know how to run a basketball program.

I think Guns was taking a shot at PSUMBB and the BJC.

This change for the "new" Finneran Pavilion is long overdo! We were long time season ticket holders when I lived in Montgomery County...the existing Pavilion is eh as a facility. The crowd is always good (6,500 per game). I think they hope to seat a few more, but will likely be about the same. Parking is always the issue at Villanova (thanks Radnor Township).

All Villanova home games will be at Wells Fargo next year...so maybe I will get back for more games.

Finally, if the Omari Spellman thing had worked out (friggin' NCAA BS) this team would be undefeated...even without Phil Booth.

This change for the "new" Finneran Pavilion is long overdo! We were long time season ticket holders when I lived in Montgomery County...the existing Pavilion is eh as a facility. The crowd is always good (6,500 per game). I think they hope to seat a few more, but will likely be about the same. Parking is always the issue at Villanova (thanks Radnor Township).

All Villanova home games will be at Wells Fargo next year...so maybe I will get back for more games.

Finally, if the Omari Spellman thing had worked out (friggin' NCAA BS) this team would be undefeated...even without Phil Booth.
I'm curious to see what the average attendance will be at the Wells Fargo Center next year. Scheduling will be a challenge.

Yeah. I'm curious to know if he was referring to Jay Wright as a dimwit who doesn't know how to run a basketball program.
I love you, A&L, but the fact that you couldn't see that Guns was taking a shot at the BJC is proof positive that you really, really need to just put Guns on Ignore. All due respect, you'd be doing the board a favor. It's as if you're Carl Spackler and he's the groundhog, the only difference being that this is depressing, not funny.

I'm curious to see what the average attendance will be at the Wells Fargo Center next year. Scheduling will be a challenge.
I would estimate it'll be 10k to 12k average. And will bet closer to 12k. Even during the Steve Lapas years we drew well at the Spectrum...and the opponents were a mixed bag of gotta sees and who cares.

I love you, A&L, but the fact that you couldn't see that Guns was taking a shot at the BJC is proof positive that you really, really need to just put Guns on Ignore. All due respect, you'd be doing the board a favor. It's as if you're Carl Spackler and he's the groundhog, the only difference being that this is depressing, not funny.
No I didn't know he was talking about BJC though I thought perhaps, which is why I asked the question. It was a complete segue from the Villanova theme unless there was a post from someone I had on ignore.

With Gunsie, I can't get past his ridiculous posts and unwillingness to admit his gross errors. I slow down with him then he posts something that begs to be made right. Okay, I'll put the blowhard on ignore now (reminded of Kramer promising to stop talking about Seinfeld with the Kathy whatshername character). I'm weary of him crying anyway. Okay -- now.

The "shot" was at the BJC, and at the leadership BACK IN 1995 that was responsible for it. IN NO WAY is it a comment about CURRENT leadership or CURRENT staff or CURRENT program personnel.

The BJC needs to be renovated and it's one of the worst venues in the nation: That's hardly "taking a shot" at anything, that's been repeated by thousands, on this very board. Clarified.

pretty sure some games will be at the palestra

Reactions: artsandletters
Guns was clearly lampooning the BJC, and it was funny. Can the BJC actually be renovated? I thought I remember it being said here that PSU doesn't own it? Does that mean they can't improve it?

Reactions: 21Guns
Guns was clearly lampooning the BJC, and it was funny. Can the BJC actually be renovated? I thought I remember it being said here that PSU doesn't own it? Does that mean they can't improve it?

Where did you read PSU didn't own it?

Now just think about that for a second: We play in an arena that we DON'T OWN, that IS NOT MEANT FOR BASKETBALL, and we have OUR OWN venue in Rec Hall, that is a GREAT home court advantage, not to mention we could play more games at the Palestra, where we played a great game earlier this year.

Yes, Sandy needs to do SOMETHING.

I thought here but I easily could be mistaken. Maybe there was just some oddity with contracts or control or something?

What I read was the building was paid for by state funds and private donations. The land was, of course, owned by Penn State. I didn't know if sometime after it was built interest in it was sold or something, but couldn't find anything saying that. Maybe there is another entity with interest in it for non-PSU events?

Reactions: palmettolion

I think Guns was taking a shot at PSUMBB and the BJC. Nothing new here

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
Nova will not be adding any seats or changing the overall footprint of the Pavilion. If they do either of those things they need to get the project approved by Radnor Twp.
They wish to avoid that at all costs. The NIMBYs in Radnor Twp put Nova thru the ringer on any new building project. Currently, Nova is building a new parking garage, dorms, performing arts center, and retail space along Lancaster Ave where a huge ground parking lot has been for years. It took Nova 7 years to get approval from Radnor Twp for that project.

They obviously do not want to wait that long for the Pavilion so capacity will stay the same. Shovels will hit the dirt shortly after May commencement.

Nova will not be adding any seats or changing the overall footprint of the Pavilion. If they do either of those things they need to get the project approved by Radnor Twp.
They wish to avoid that at all costs. The NIMBYs in Radnor Twp put Nova thru the ringer on any new building project. Currently, Nova is building a new parking garage, dorms, performing arts center, and retail space along Lancaster Ave where a huge ground parking lot has been for years. It took Nova 7 years to get approval from Radnor Twp for that project.

They obviously do not want to wait that long for the Pavilion so capacity will stay the same. Shovels will hit the dirt shortly after May commencement.
That's the ground lot across from Bartley and Sheehan, right? What's up with the lot across from the old Fieldhouse?

If memory serves me correct that is why they cannot increase the size of the Pavilion, because Radnor Twp wants a certain amount of parking and will not grant them a waiver correct? Or something along those lines? Obviously they have the money to increase the size of the Pavilion and everyone would love to do it but Radnor has kept a lid on it I believe. Many students cannot get into the game because of it's small seating capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT