ADVERTISEMENT

Nov. 11th @ 11 a.m.

Carl Spackler

May 29, 2001
Ontario, OH
My next scheduled hair cut is on Nov. 11th @ 11:00 a.m.

I asked the lady who cuts my hair if she knew what that exact month/day/time meant in history? She returned a bland stare with a NO.

Armistice Day. It was the last day and minute of WWI, all quiet on the western front.

“At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ends. At 5 a.m. that morning, Germany, bereft of manpower and supplies and faced with imminent invasion, signed an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car outside Compiégne, France.” History Channel

I found the timing very interesting and how few knew what it meant a bit surprising.

I’m sure many more on this board knew the answer without prompting.

A most important day and event in the history of the ages.
I would have waited till November but the board will not be operable at that time, so it's today.

I asked the lady who cuts my hair if she knew what that exact month/day/time meant in history? She returned a bland stare with a NO.

Armistice Day. It was the last day and minute of WWI, all quiet on the western front.

“At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ends. At 5 a.m. that morning, Germany, bereft of manpower and supplies and faced with imminent invasion, signed an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car outside Compiégne, France.” History Channel

I found the timing very interesting and how few knew what it meant a bit surprising.

I would have waited till November but the board will not be operable at that time, so it's today.
Too funny..I have a root canal scheduled for the same day and time. Not kidding..

Carl, I believe you might have been born sometime when WWI was still in the minds of many Americans. You didn't mention the age of the person cutting your hair, but I would venture to guess much younger than your age.

Also, Armistice Day does not get the same amount of publicity as other events associated with WWI.

So, it's probably not out of the ordinary for a large number of people to not know about it's importance.

Coincidentally, the construction of Pearl Harbor Naval Base started on Nov. 11 (1909)

Last edited:
There have been more shows on recently about WW1, or have just happened to notice.

What a brutal, awful conflict. Mud and blood seemingly without end.

11/11/11 was the day I was diagnosed with diabetes

also the day that Elder Scrolls Skyrim was released, great game

I always wondered why it was called Armistice Day. Reading about WW1 and the treaty that followed showed why the name. Germany did not surrender. The German Generals realized the war was not going well for them and 1919 would see a massive Allied offensive into Germany. But the Germans hoped to be able to avoid total collapse by agreeing to an Armistice and then go to the negotiation table and working out a settlement better than surrendering. The Germans hoped that President Wilson’s 14 Points would govern the settlement. The German army was still in France and the German Navy was a threat. But the country was starving. Austria had thrown in the towel. The Germany Army was allowed to march back to Germany with their arms. This result allowed the myth of a "stab in the back" to grow. This is why in WW2 the Allies required Unconditional surrender.

So the named changed to Veteran’s Day but still kept on 11 Nov.

For fun or funny:

I was in Mexico some years back on an climbing trip and had a back molar flare up. It was going to be a game changer for the trip. So I went in to Monterey looking for a dentist. First stop: office you could eat off the floor , modern looked better than any I have been in the US. Unfortunately their dentist that could do root canal was away for the week. Stop two ....ugghhhhh

Very confident dentist. Yep I can do it come back tomorrow. Of course brain in different culture not working correctly , didn't look around the office too much. Go back next day. Oh shit, this place is a clusterF#k hovel. Hmmm .

I go along with the program as I see the doc put some utensils in what looks like a toaster oven. I notice he's in jeans, a cowboy shirt and of course cowboy boots. Looking around all the pics are rodeo pictures. I start to talk with him about sanitation as I am starting to really worry.

Away we go , he does his thing , caps it and says I may want to get the cap crowned back in the states within a year. Fast forward to seeing my really good dentist stateside when I get back . He says the work looks good and not even a need for a hurry on the cap. We eventually crowned the tooth but if a root canal isn't bad enough I suggest you don't put yourself through that ;)

11/11 also my anniversary.

Cutting on the Maginot Line
screen-3.jpg

Interestingly, the allies continued to assault the German lines right up until 11 am. Perishing did not think the armistice was a good idea and that they needed to stop only at Berlin. Many soldiers died after the signing and after their superiors knew of the 11 am end of fighting.

Interestingly, the allies continued to assault the German lines right up until 11 am. Perishing did not think the armistice was a good idea and that they needed to stop only at Berlin. Many soldiers died after the signing and after their superiors knew of the 11 am end of fighting.
Earlier today I read a note that the shelling was maintained by both sides, ALL DAY. I suppose the only blessing was the latitude and time of year, a much shorter day.

Yes, there was a certain undercurrent of “Aw shucks, the war’s ending, better make the most of it” sentiment among the general staff. Shameful.

My barber is brilliant, so it’s safe to say he was well aware of this.

As an aside, I’ve been shaving my own head since I was 15.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
My Father was a Marine in France that day. Later marched to the Rhine river in one of the lead units not knowing what to expect. Was on the Rhine as part of the army of occupation until July of 1919.

• Wow
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

A few years ago I got a phone call at my place of employment from a man asking for a favor. The favor involved help with the Man's elderly father who would be staying in my area for a week and they needed some help with getting him around. I said that I thought I could help but needed to OK something with my bosses before I fully committed. Before I hung up, I asked if by chance his father had served in the Armed Forces. The Gent on the phone informed me that his father had served on the lines in Europe during WWII in the US Army. I replied that I am sure I could get this done and I would get back to them. Longer story short.......I was more than happy to assist them ......and even helped when they had an additional problem during the week. It was a busy time of year for me .....so I did not get a chance to meet the hero in person. At the end of the week, the son stopped by to see me at work in person while carrying a present for me. The present was a signed framed photograph of his Father and an Army buddy in Germany sharing a toast in May of 1945 when they learned the war was over for them.

A picture I still have in my living room today......

Reactions: epittm and cigarowl

Well, it ended up being a holiday but really is not a great day in history.

Remember WW1 was also known as "The War to End All Wars". But the harshness of the armistice against Germany directly led to WW2. Lessons learned, the Allies actively participated in the rebuilding of Germany And Japan (well, at least west Germany).

Reactions: Carl Spackler
For anyone interested in WW1, I highly recommend the fairly recent film, "They Shall Not Grow Old". It is a masterful cinematic effort. Original video footage from the very beginning of the war until just after. It starts in the original black and white and then early on transitions to color, and at the same time, dub voices, mostly with the appropriate British accents, to match what the men were saying in the original silent footage. The effect is extraordinary. What was once a long ago war suddenly comes alive with the men appearing and sounding as if the video was shot much more recently, and results in a sense of familiarity with the participants.
Trailer:

Last edited:
The 11am cease fire was known by both sides for a few days. However Many skirmishes continued right up until 11am. In some instances sides fought over a particular hotel that had running water, or a small village that had better shelter once fighting stopped. Can you imagine losing a son on 11/11 because one side wanted running water.

The 11am cease fire was known by both sides for a few days. However Many skirmishes continued right up until 11am. In some instances sides fought over a particular hotel that had running water, or a small village that had better shelter once fighting stopped. Can you imagine losing a son on 11/11 because one side wanted running water.

It was even worse than that. Word came down early on the morning of November 11 that an armistice would go into effect at 11:00 AM. But senior U.S. commanders, starting with Pershing himself, for unknown reasons decided to continue offensive operations right until the appointed hour, launching attacks that took the lives of over 300 American troops...for nothing.

A year later, Congress held a hearing to question the senior officers on the rationale for their decision and ask why 300 Americans were ordered to die for no good reason whatsoever. Congress never got any answers...only bullshit. Nobody was held accountable. (Some things never change.) But one thing for sure: none of the casualties from that morning ever got their lives back.

Reactions: bison13 and LionJim
Well, it ended up being a holiday but really is not a great day in history.

Remember WW1 was also known as "The War to End All Wars". But the harshness of the armistice against Germany directly led to WW2. Lessons learned, the Allies actively participated in the rebuilding of Germany And Japan (well, at least west Germany).
Agreed, while not planning to broach the punitive manner the Allies dealt with Germany it fueled a seething rage that was at least a portion of the run up to WWII. They certainly did not follow the Golden Rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The cost of that revenge dealing post WWI set up the German revenge and WWII. Tragic is so many ways.

You should get a cut "high and tight" just to commemorate

O . . . K . . .

My Father was a Marine in France that day. Later marched to the Rhine river in one of the lead units not knowing what to expect. Was on the Rhine as part of the army of occupation until July of 1919.

Props to your old man.

Last edited:
It was even worse than that. Word came down early on the morning of November 11 that an armistice would go into effect at 11:00 AM. But senior U.S. commanders, starting with Pershing himself, for unknown reasons decided to continue offensive operations right until the appointed hour, launching attacks that took the lives of over 300 American troops...for nothing.

A year later, Congress held a hearing to question the senior officers on the rationale for their decision and ask why 300 Americans were ordered to die for no good reason whatsoever. Congress never got any answers...only bullshit. Nobody was held accountable. (Some things never change.) But one thing for sure: none of the casualties from that morning ever got their lives back.
I believe he tried to blame his boss Ferdinand Foch, the Supreme Allied Commander.

Was very fortunate to stumble across this display a couple days before the Penn State game in Ireland. They had approximately 800,000 poppies in place then with nearly a hundred thousand more to go. Was very moving seeing that massive number of poppies knowing each and very one represented a life lost if WWl. It was great visualization of the sacrifice made for freedom.

• Sad
Reactions: psrurock
ADVERTISEMENT