ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame & Covid reeking havoc among the football players Yoi!

Unless you have been a hospital department head, administrator, or ranking physician of a particular specialty.....I doubt you possess the non public information to extrapolate the true meanings of all this data. Amazing how so many blindly believe what a
I think it's terrible to go through life assuming that you can't or shouldn't think critically about or attempt to understand topics if you don't possess a degree in that particular subject or that you have to blindly accept what another says because of their degrees. A large percentage of us aren't even employed in the area of our degrees anyway. Does that mean we can't be effective in another area of expertise?

It's not like all of the medical doctors, scientists, public policy experts, etc. have reached consensus on a novel virus or our response to the virus either. Many of the experts have themselves flip flopped on the most basic assertions about our response as more information and experience comes out. Also, the public response to the virus requires the intersection of many areas of expertise. A medical doctor may not be privy to or up on all of the most current science. The scientists publishing papers may not understand the various public impacts of a policy. The policy maker may not know the inner workings of a particular business or school. This is why task forces are put together to solve complex inter-disciplinary problems. Everyone on the task force is not required to be an expert in every discipline. What degree is required to effectively synthesize the various expert contributions from a number of different fields? The answer is that the degree is irrelevant but the ability to think critically and logically is absolutely necessary.

And anyone with quantitative ability can look at CDC data and draw fairly reasonable conclusions. It's not rocket science to analyze data. Just think critically. You don't need someone to tell you everything that you are supposed to think. You are supposed to actually think and that requires both effort and being confident enough to learn.

I think it's terrible to go through life assuming that you can't or shouldn't think critically about or attempt to understand topics if you don't possess a degree in that particular subject or that you have to blindly accept what another says because of their degrees. A large percentage of us aren't even employed in the area of our degrees anyway. Does that mean we can't be effective in another area of expertise?

It's not like all of the medical doctors, scientists, public policy experts, etc. have reached consensus on a novel virus or our response to the virus either. Many of the experts have themselves flip flopped on the most basic assertions about our response as more information and experience comes out. Also, the public response to the virus requires the intersection of many areas of expertise. A medical doctor may not be privy to or up on all of the most current science. The scientists publishing papers may not understand the various public impacts of a policy. The policy maker may not know the inner workings of a particular business or school. This is why task forces are put together to solve complex inter-disciplinary problems. Everyone on the task force is not required to be an expert in every discipline. What degree is required to effectively synthesize the various expert contributions from a number of different fields? The answer is that the degree is irrelevant but the ability to think critically and logically is absolutely necessary.

And anyone with quantitative ability can look at CDC data and draw fairly reasonable conclusions. It's not rocket science to analyze data. Just think critically. You don't need someone to tell you everything that you are supposed to think. You are supposed to actually think and that requires both effort and being confident enough to learn.
just curious- what's your real screen name?

Reactions: TheGLOV
JustinTyme. Another poster implied that I am sharing a screen name with @Oblivax but I'm not. I do happen to think that poster is pretty level headed and reasonable from what I have read of his posts. What's it matter? They are all just made up screen names anyway.
I'll go with lionlurker

JustinTyme. Another poster implied that I am sharing a screen name with @Oblivax but I'm not. I do happen to think that poster is pretty level headed and reasonable from what I have read of his posts. What's it matter? They are all just made up screen names anyway.
Just that creating multiple screen names is sort of dishonest, that's all. People do that to try to "win" arguments on the internet- something that's not possible anyway. And yeah, I'll pretend to believe you if that makes you feel better.

Just that creating multiple screen names is sort of dishonest, that's all. People do that to try to "win" arguments on the internet- something that's not possible anyway. And yeah, I'll pretend to believe you if that makes you feel better.
I don't care what you do to be honest. I have one screen name on rivals. Is there a reason that you are trying to make the discussion about me instead of the actual topic? Very odd. If you want to discuss things, discuss them. I have no interest in who you are. I would have interest in good insight if you discussed the issues in this thread.

I don't care what you do to be honest. I have one screen name on rivals. Is there a reason that you are trying to make the discussion about me instead of the actual topic? Very odd. If you want to discuss things, discuss them. I have no interest in who you are. I would have interest in good insight if you discussed the issues in this thread.
Just curious, that's all. And the "topic" has been discussed to death here- nobody is really interested in a "discussion", only in the regurgitation of talking points we've all heard too many times already. Pretending otherwise is disingenuous.

By all means , carry on.

Hey don’t take it personally, we’re just trying to clean up some ambiguity. If you would just answer the following questions this whole thing can be put to rest.
1. Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?
2. What’s your favorite brand of onion dip?
3.List you’re three favorite pre Joe Paterno head coaches not named Engle.
4. What times should the lots open?
5. Which is best revenge or breakup sex?
6. Pick one Biden, Trump or any unnamed rational adult.

When are people going to start using common sense and realize that there is absolutely no need to postpone games for this stuff? This is an illness, but not even a serious illness for these kids. And that's for the rare ones that actually test positive and have symptoms. Most are either false positives, or kids with immunity that are testing positive.

Remember back in the day (like last year), when kids got sick and either played or didn't play depending on how they felt on gameday? Sounds like a reasonable way of doing things...

Reactions: psualt
When are people going to start using common sense and realize that there is absolutely no need to postpone games for this stuff? This is an illness, but not even a serious illness for these kids. And that's for the rare ones that actually test positive and have symptoms. Most are either false positives, or kids with immunity that are testing positive.

Remember back in the day (like last year), when kids got sick and either played or didn't play depending on how they felt on gameday? Sounds like a reasonable way of doing things...
When? Not this season.

Just curious, that's all. And the "topic" has been discussed to death here- nobody is really interested in a "discussion", only in the regurgitation of talking points we've all heard too many times already. Pretending otherwise is disingenuous.

By all means , carry on.
I was advocating the opposite of talking points. I was talking about thinking more deeply about our way ahead and using CDC data and all available sources to inform it, bringing various disciplines together to explore impacts of COAs, analyze risks, and weigh actions verses alternatives, etc. Talking points are surface layer deep and political. Problem solving is not. Plus, I am seeing several new threads daily discussing COVID impacts on various sports and other aspects of our lives. I think in depth discussions as to best approaches must be interesting otherwise it wouldn't keep coming up.

But of course, you are entitled to your view as much as anyone else. I just feel like there are enough smart people here that I might learn something new or see things in a way in which I hadn't previously thought about. Reading others' views and experiences costs me only my time and I'm retired so I have plenty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petch and Jerry
iu

Quantify and source it if you believe it is a consideration. Then compare it to the long term health consequences of 6+ months of shut downs, tens of millions losing their job, 7.5 million business owners losing their business, 87 million kids losing their entire social group and losing a year of education (online for K - 12 is worthless), destroying the economy, etc. Let us know what you come up with and it will be considered. Please be sure to quantify so that we can see relative cost of not locking down at this point verses costs of extending the lockdowns into their 8th month and beyond. It is helpful to understand and weigh impacts in terms of numbers of people affected.
I doubt the true answer to this question is yet to be written less than a year into the pandemic. However, there have been reports of B10 athletes having heart issues after having COVID-19:

Also, many others have reported still having issues several months after having COVID-19.

So then why aren’t they calling for the resignation of the law school dean who was at the same ceremony.
Are the students aware of that and is the law school dean the President of the entire university? How many cabinet members draw the same amount of attention as the President? I'll clarify, I'm not enrolled at Notre Dame so I can't say that they have a clue about what events the law school dean may attend. I know when I was a student at Penn State, we would have no knowledge of that sort of thing. Plus college kids only tend to petition or protest when someone tells them. Otherwise, they have so many other things to occupy their attention from that girl in the dining hall to tomorrow's exam that they simply don't follow that stuff.

Also, with regard to Art's comment. That's pretty vile and/or uneducated. Saying it is karma that someone gets COVID because they differ with you politically? I fear for our decency as a people when statements like that are made and can only hope it isn't representative of anyone but that poster.

Reactions: Petch
Karma in this case is not politically driven. When one refuses to wear a mask, continues indoor rallies despite CDC warnings, pokes fun at mask wearing opponents, and is now potentially a super spreader, Karma comes into play.

Are the students aware of that and is the law school dean the President of the entire university? How many cabinet members draw the same amount of attention as the President? I'll clarify, I'm not enrolled at Notre Dame so I can't say that they have a clue about what events the law school dean may attend. I know when I was a student at Penn State, we would have no knowledge of that sort of thing. Plus college kids only tend to petition or protest when someone tells them. Otherwise, they have so many other things to occupy their attention from that girl in the dining hall to tomorrow's exam that they simply don't follow that stuff.

Also, with regard to Art's comment. That's pretty vile and/or uneducated. Saying it is karma that someone gets COVID because they differ with you politically? I fear for our decency as a people when statements like that are made and can only hope it isn't representative of anyone but that poster.

Really, clown? I have no idea what Father Jenkins politics are. I merely pointed out that he chose not to wear a mask and contracted Covid 19. I wish him and speedy and complete recovery. And you can jam your politics up your ass sideways.

Reactions: BBrown
Really, clown? I have no idea what Father Jenkins politics are. I merely pointed out that he chose not to wear a mask and contracted Covid 19. I wish him and speedy and complete recovery. And you can jam your politics up your ass sideways.
Why the name calling? I would think that it would be pretty difficult to respond quoting my post pointing out that it was more about where Father Jenkins was then not wearing a mask that caused the backlash and to also not know that Father Jenkins was at an event supporting ACB's ceremony. Otherwise what would have prompted you to quote my post? The place where Father Jenkins was identified as not wearing a mask is identified in the second line in the article posted from which this sidebar was prompted. Is it your claim that you did not know that location? That you did not open the article? That you felt the need to quote my emphasis on where Father Jenkins was in your response yet you had no clue as to that location?

Lastly, whose politics caused you to respond linking Father Jenkins' diagnosis with karma? Is that really my politics? Was that my fault that you wrote those words? If you believe in karma, then probably not so good to gloat about another getting COVID, politics or no politics. I'm not going to call you names. It's not personal. I will simply point out inconsistencies in your actions when they are apparent.

Why the name calling? I would think that it would be pretty difficult to respond quoting my post pointing out that it was more about where Father Jenkins was then not wearing a mask that caused the backlash and to also not know that Father Jenkins was at an event supporting ACB's ceremony. Otherwise what would have prompted you to quote my post? The place where Father Jenkins was identified as not wearing a mask is identified in the second line in the article posted from which this sidebar was prompted. Is it your claim that you did not know that location? That you did not open the article? That you felt the need to quote my emphasis on where Father Jenkins was in your response yet you had no clue as to that location?

Lastly, whose politics caused you to respond linking Father Jenkins' diagnosis with karma? Is that really my politics? Was that my fault that you wrote those words? If you believe in karma, then probably not so good to gloat about another getting COVID, politics or no politics. I'm not going to call you names. It's not personal. I will simply point out inconsistencies in your actions when they are apparent.
🖕

Karma in this case is not politically driven. When one refuses to wear a mask, continues indoor rallies despite CDC warnings, pokes fun at mask wearing opponents, and is now potentially a super spreader, Karma comes into play.
That is a pretty dishonest statement. I think we all know the "one" you reference who does where a mask in situations where he does have risk of infecting someone. I'm certain you know that he is tested daily and so can be 100 times more certain whether he does or does not pose a risk to someone else than the rest of us. The rallies he held were primarily (almost all) outdoors and had fewer people congregating with a much higher % of mask use than say any of the "peaceful protests" in the over 140 US cities that have been burned and looted. He has poked fun at mask wearing in situations that no one is at risk like his opponent wearing them when no one is even close to him or on camera in his basement. Heck, I make fun of those wearing it in their cars apparently trying to not infect themselves while decreasing their peripheral vision and increasing all of our risk of accidents. And he is not a superspreader when he was diagnosed quickly and has immediately isolated.

Let's try to engage in reality not hyperbole and falsehoods.

That is a pretty dishonest statement. I think we all know the "one" you reference who does where a mask in situations where he does have risk of infecting someone. I'm certain you know that he is tested daily and so can be 100 times more certain whether he does or does not pose a risk to someone else than the rest of us. The rallies he held were primarily (almost all) outdoors and had fewer people congregating with a much higher % of mask use than say any of the "peaceful protests" in the over 140 US cities that have been burned and looted. He has poked fun at mask wearing in situations that no one is at risk like his opponent wearing them when no one is even close to him or on camera in his basement. Heck, I make fun of those wearing it in their cars apparently trying to not infect themselves while decreasing their peripheral vision and increasing all of our risk of accidents. And he is not a superspreader when he was diagnosed quickly and has immediately isolated.

Let's try to engage in reality not hyperbole and falsehoods.

You first because your above post reeks of them.

Herman Caine would agree that indoor rallies pose little risk. Three US senators would agree as well. Old overweight men attending the super spreader event last weekend are not nervous at all. Calling Bill Barr and Chris Christie. Karma!

Remember that masks no longer stop the spread, they just give you a more mild form of covid. That narrative has changed.

ADVERTISEMENT