ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results, Iowa Ducks, Glory Holes, Turk serves his country (again), Yianni a jerk, etc.

That pin may be huge for you guys come March. That could put Kirkvliet #3 opposite of Steveson and put Cassioppi at #4.. for both B1Gs and NCAAs.
That surprise pin by the Princeton guy may have just given you guys 4 more placement points... in a very tight team race
Kerk would still need to beat Cass in the dual, but your point makes sense if that match doesn’t happen (and if Kerk also beats Parris in B1G semis).

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
That pin may be huge for you guys come March. That could put Kirkvliet #3 opposite of Steveson and put Cassioppi at #4.. for both B1Gs and NCAAs.
That surprise pin by the Princeton guy may have just given you guys 4 more placement points... in a very tight team race
That is assuming that they never meet at their dual. When is Duck Season? :)

But will it affect B10 seeds? B10 seeds are largely (almost entirely?) by conference competition.

This is a weird regular season: Kerk does not face Steveson and Parris does not face Cass. So Kerk figures to get the 2 seed at B10s if he beats both Parris and Cass, the 3 if he splits, and the 4 if he loses both.

Once we get to nationals, then Schultz also enters the equation -- he figures to have a top 5 seed, maybe higher if he beats Parris in the dual and/or gets a good win at Collegiate Duals.

not really because if cass beats kerk hth he’ll still be seeded ahead of him. we’ve seen how the seeding algorithm doesn’t punish losses , especially outlier losses. if kerk beats him hth, then he would be seeded ahead of him anyway. this doesn’t change anything.

not really because if cass beats kerk hth he’ll still be seeded ahead of him. we’ve seen how the seeding algorithm doesn’t punish losses , especially outlier losses. if kerk beats him hth, then he would be seeded ahead of him anyway. this doesn’t change anything.
It allows Kerk to "duck" at the dual and (if he loses to Parris at B1G semi) to MFF out, and not face Cass ... protecting the seed. It may not turn out that way.. but this opens up that scenario.

2nd and 3rd seeds at nationals is going to be HUGE vs 4th and 5th seeds.
the 2nd/3rd has one hard match, semifinals. The 4th/5th have eachother in quarters and Steveson in Semis.
Positioning to get that 2nd or 3rd seed will be very important.
If I were your coaches, I would focus like a laser beam on beating Parris. If Kervliet can do that, then he may not ever have to face Cassioppi and risk losing that 2 or 3 seed.

Or I could be wrong.
Just, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the tweet about Cass getting pinnned... was the seeding at nationals and the 4 placement points.

It allows Kerk to "duck" at the dual and (if he loses to Parris at B1G semi) to MFF out, and not face Cass ... protecting the seed. It may not turn out that way.. but this opens up that scenario.

2nd and 3rd seeds at nationals is going to be HUGE vs 4th and 5th seeds.
the 2nd/3rd has one hard match, semifinals. The 4th/5th have eachother in quarters and Steveson in Semis.
Positioning to get that 2nd or 3rd seed will be very important.
If I were your coaches, I would focus like a laser beam on beating Parris. If Kervliet can do that, then he may not ever have to face Cassioppi and risk losing that 2 or 3 seed.

Or I could be wrong.
Just, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the tweet about Cass getting pinnned... was the seeding at nationals and the 4 placement points.
Do you really think Kerk would get the 3 seed at nationals if he MFFs out of B10s in consis?

NCAA seeds have not rewarded this recently.

Seemed to me Cass got caught off-guard there, using a technique he’s executed countless times. I’m sure he’ll clean it up before March, but this might be one of those weight-related adjustments we speculated about him potentially needing to make.

Cass was better when he was fat!

;-/ Well we can have fun with it for at least a day can't we?

Last edited:
do you think that result means anything?
It means he'll have at least 2 losses (Gable) and possibly 3 (Kerk) BEFORE the Big 10 Tournament. It means for all his slimming down he is still a tier below Gable and Parris and he is not a threat to either. It means he's more beatable than Iowa fans believe. It means his seed could be negatively impacted. That enough for now?

Lost in the Cassioppi talk is the fact that K Young got handled with ease by Monday. Just how many points did Iowa fans think Young was gonna get them this year?

Reactions: Thenightking
In terms of "scouting" Glory if Glory had wrestled, Lee has already wrestled Glory twice (win by TF and 12-6), so I think Spencer already knows a good bit about him directly.

I miss the old days when a wrestler joined a wrestling team to actually wrestle and not dodge everything to protect a seed for the end of the year. What is "good" for individuals becomes bad for the sport.

I miss the old days when a wrestler joined a wrestling team to actually wrestle and not dodge everything to protect a seed for the end of the year. What is "good" for individuals becomes bad for the sport.
159-0. No missed duals that I know of, no excuses

No pitch counts
No seed protecting

That’s why he’s the GOAT

Last edited:
I presume you've never learned anything with your own two eyes, online videos always suffice.
videos are literally better than in person because you can slow down and rewind sequences over and over to figure out what they're doing. There is a reason why 90% of true sports scouting takes place in the film room. You don't see NFL coaches showing up at their next opponent's games with binoculars during their bye weeks.

Clarification:

Seems a smidge petty if you ask me.
This is not the whole truth. They knew Spencer wasn't wrestling well before they left New Jersey. To me, it seems clear what happened. Glory is a big 125 coming off a mini layoff following u23's. When he found out Spencer wasn't going, he lost motivation and was undisciplined with his weight (he also had a lackadaisical performance against an Iowa back up the last time Spencer didn't wrestle him). When it came close to the dual they realized he wasn't going to make it, so he didn't weigh in.

Bottom line, if they planned not to make him weigh in for a match with anybody other than Spencer, they would have brought the other 125 on their team to wrestle instead.

videos are literally better than in person because you can slow down and rewind sequences over and over to figure out what they're doing. There is a reason why 90% of true sports scouting takes place in the film room. You don't see NFL coaches showing up at their next opponent's games with binoculars during their bye weeks.
So you're saying Iowa wouldn't have watched the streaming replay of last night, in addition to watching it in person?

Also NFL teams have battalions of professional scouts showing up in-person at opponents' games -- also at various college games. The Eagles' GM attended the Pitt--North Carolina game, not during a bye week, and surely just as a fan of the game and not because both teams have potential first-round QBs.

I can understand disagreeing with my earlier post, but at least it should be sensical.

• Haha
I do not know what happened, but I like the idea of not letting coaches get away with playing games. Princeton came to iIowa hoping to get Glory a match. If it is true that Lee did not weigh in and so Glory did not either, then I get it. However, is that really the case?
Iowa sat 5 starters last night. 125, 149, 174, 184, 197 all wrestled backups.

I'm not a fan of playing games if that's what happened. That goes both ways.

Iowa sat 5 starters last night. 125, 149, 174, 184, 197 all wrestled backups.

I'm not a fan of playing games if that's what happened. That goes both ways.
@El-Jefe— you know what happens to you if you ascribe less than honorable intentions to Iowa coaches and St. Spencer and honorable intentions to other teams?

Radical clerics throughout Iowa will issue a Fatwa against you - Salman Rushdie-style.

I’ll light a candle for you (instead of St Spencer) for you at mass

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
We all agree that the back ups/ room guys are hard working and dedicated. Why is it hard to believe that a coach would give some of them the chance to wrestle in front of the crowd once in a while. Particularly if it didn't have much bearing on team ranking? As a walk on, I always appreciated the chance to get into some meets, even though it was not a top tier opponent. I wasn't going to get a start that really mattered to the team, but it meant a lot to me to have some recognition for my hard work.

This is not the whole truth. They knew Spencer wasn't wrestling well before they left New Jersey. To me, it seems clear what happened. Glory is a big 125 coming off a mini layoff following u23's. When he found out Spencer wasn't going, he lost motivation and was undisciplined with his weight (he also had a lackadaisical performance against an Iowa back up the last time Spencer didn't wrestle him). When it came close to the dual they realized he wasn't going to make it, so he didn't weigh in.

Bottom line, if they planned not to make him weigh in for a match with anybody other than Spencer, they would have brought the other 125 on their team to wrestle instead.
It came directly from Princeton’s coach

Lost in the Cassioppi talk is the fact that K Young got handled with ease by Monday. Just how many points did Iowa fans think Young was gonna get them this year?
Most Iowa fans have Young as lower AA, which he's been pretty reliable at getting. Either way, since our 157 looks like a non qualifier right now, I won't criticize KY lol.

There were a lot of falsehoods out there about Glory missing weight. IMO, he was disproving that disinformation and defending his guy. Nothing at all wrong with that.
So you are saying Glory could've made weight. Why not get easy points at 125 in a dual they are hopefully trying to win? Did coach Ayers give up before the dual even got started?

@El-Jefe— you know what happens to you if you ascribe less than honorable intentions to Iowa coaches and St. Spencer and honorable intentions to other teams?

Radical clerics throughout Iowa will issue a Fatwa against you - Salman Rushdie-style.

I’ll light a candle for you (instead of St Spencer) for you at mass
Excuses are for wussies.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT