ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games - Week of Jan 10

Wasn’t as impressed yesterday as I have been before.
To his credit, I think Blockhus has shown some skill this season in keeping some matches close when on paper (i.e., rankings) he should be blown out. Lovett not winning in more dominant fashion last night might have been expected.

Reactions: danoftw
Recap of Pitt's win over AZ State

NO. 19 PITT STUNS NO. 6 ARIZONA STATE, 24-19 IN PITTSBURGH, LED BY THREE PINS​

Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt) waves to fans after win over Arizona State. Photo courtesy of Pitt Athletics

PITTSBURGH—#PINZBURGH was alive and well on Friday night at Fitzgerald Field House.

The No. 19 University of Pittsburgh wrestling program shocked No. 6 Arizona State, 24-19, as Pitt fans powered the Panthers to a wild victory on a memorable night of college wrestling in Pittsburgh....

#19 Pitt 24, #6 Arizona State 19
125: #4 Brandon Courtney (ASU) dec. #32 Gage Curry (Pitt), 10-4 (ASU leads, 3-0)
133: #4 Michael McGee (ASU) dec. #7 Micky Phillippi (Pitt), 5-3 (ASU leads, 6-0)
141: #22 Cole Matthews (Pitt) pins Julian Chlebove (ASU), 1:44 (Tied, 6-6)
149: #11 Kyle Parco (ASU) maj. dec. Dan Mancini (Pitt), 16-2 (ASU leads, 10-6)
157: #3 Jacori Teemer (ASU) dec. #21 Elijah Cleary (Pitt), 6-2 (ASU leads, 13-6)
165: #6 Anthony Valencia (ASU) dec. #13 Jake Wentzel (Pitt), 6-3 (ASU leads, 16-6)
174: James Lledo (Pitt) pins Zane Coleman (ASU), 2:31 (ASU leads, 16-12)
184: #31 Gregg Harvey (Pitt) stalling DQ over Josh Nummer (ASU), 6:44 (Pitt leads, 18-16)
197: #9 Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt) pins Jake Ortiz (ASU), 2:26 (Pitt leads, 24-16)
NOTE: Arizona State assessed a team penalty point (Pitt leads, 24-15)
285: #3 Cohlton Schultz (ASU) maj. dec. Jake Slinger (Pitt), 18-5 (Pitt wins, 24-19)

Imagine telling somebody that Pitt would knock off ASU and none of Phillippi, Cleary, or Wentzel would win. What a crazy dual.

To his credit, I think Blockhus has shown some skill this season in keeping some matches close when on paper (i.e., rankings) he should be blown out. Lovett not winning in more dominant fashion last night might have been expected.
That may be true, but his riding with on and off double boots would have received a lot of criticism on this board just two days ago in the riding time thread.

That may be true, but his riding with on and off double boots would have received a lot of criticism on this board just two days ago in the riding time thread.
I generally like leg riders. Not so much guys who use the technique as a strategy to win matches on a single TD or an E+RT, but guys who legitimately use it to create offense, or guys who are otherwise dynamic and use it as a supplemental tool as needed.

Lovett tends to be a guy who puts points on the board, often in exciting fashion. But he isn’t elite enough to do that to everyone.

Reactions: jack66
I generally like leg riders. Not so much guys who use the technique as a strategy to win matches on a single TD or an E+RT, but guys who legitimately use it to create offense, or guys who are otherwise dynamic and use it as a supplemental tool as needed.

Lovett tends to be a guy who puts points on the board, often in exciting fashion. But he isn’t elite enough to do that to everyone.
I get it, I was definitely a legs guy, 5’10 126 HS wrestler. I was just commenting that for all of the excitement that i seem to remember from him previously, I haven’t seen it as much lately. Maybe I’ve only seen the better competition matches.

Reactions: slushhead
I get it, I was definitely a legs guy, 5’10 126 HS wrestler. I was just commenting that for all of the excitement that i seem to remember from him previously, I haven’t seen it as much lately. Maybe I’ve only seen the better competition matches.
Yeah, I haven’t followed him as closely as others, but he seems a little inconsistent. He’s had some wild matches, though. As long as he beats Murin again, we’ll all love him, I’m sure. 😉

Reactions: KCLion
What was up with UVA vs. Oklahoma today? Flo shows they only had six matches and that Verk beat Demas at 141??

Looks like a typo, they went at 149. Good win for Verk though.

Last edited:
What was up with UVA vs. Oklahoma today? Flo shows they only had six matches and that Verk beat Demas at 141??

Looks like a typo, they went at 149. Good win for Verk though.
Soonersports.com is reporting this:

Oklahoma wrestling picked up a lopsided win in their only dual on the final day of the Virginia Duals in a 41-6 victory over Maryland. The team was originally scheduled to face Virginia as well, but Covid-19 protocols prevented the Cavaliers from fielding a full squad. The Sooners and Cavaliers wrestled seven individual matches but did not keep a team score.

Reports the Verk bout like this:
149Jarod Verkleeren (UVA) def. No. 16 (141) Dom Demas (OU) (TB-2 3-2)

Wow..Shane Griffith wrestled 174 today vs Little Rock. 3 national champs at one weight. With 2 finalists.

I still like Carter but damn this weight is a meat grinder

Do we have any reason to believe Griffith has permanently moved up to 174, as opposed to just one dual?

Some changes to today’s televised/streamed action:

Sunday
- Columbia vs OkSt (11am) [ESPN+]
- **OkSt vs WVU (1pm) [ESPNU]**
- CSUB vs CMU (11am) [ESPN+]
- ASU vs Princeton (12pm) [ESPN+]
- American vs CMU (1pm) [ESPN+]
- Presbyterian vs VMI (1pm) [ESPN+]
- Wisconsin vs Minn (2pm) [B1G+]
- Mizzou vs SIUE (2pm) [ESPN+]
- Campbell vs CMU (3pm) [ESPN+]
- Columbia vs WVU (3/4pm) [ESPN+]
- **Iowa vs Illinois (4pm) [BTN]**
- **Rutger vs PSU (5pm) [ESPNU]**

For Princeton-ASU, will #2 Glory be back on the mat for a prospective match vs #4 Courtney? Would like to see that, plus #11 Monday vs #3 Teemer.

Last edited:

Sunday

For Princeton-ASU, will #2 Glory be back on the mat for a prospective match vs #4 Courtney? Would like to see that, plus #11 Monday vs #3 Teemer.
Yo! Thanks for info. I passed on a 930 mile round trip drive in snow to State College for the RUTGERS match.

Sunday

Columbia/OK St. was moved to 3 pm EST on ESPN+

Sunday

I love how Princeton's match article lists "Tentative Probables" for their roster...

They also have no other 125 than Glory on their entire roster, which is why the forfeited last weekend.

Columbia/OK St. was moved to 3 pm EST on ESPN+
I saw they rescheduled their dual to occur in Stillwater at 3pm (ET), but OSU’s presser indicated no video/tv coverage, and the dual isn’t showing up on my Watch ESPN mobile app. Where are you seeing info for video?

Glory is indeed going to take the mat.

Courtney in on leg, tries dump, can’t convert. OOB. Off restart, Glory gets TD going OOB. 2-0.
Glory tilt off restart, 4-0.
E Courtney, 4-1. 1:00 left in 1st.
Period ends, Glory up 4-1.
Courtney takes bottom.
Another tilt, now 8-1.
E Courtney, 8-2.
TD Glory on failed hip-over attempt by Courtney, almost got back exposure, 10-2. Period ends.
Glory takes bottom.
E Glory, TD Courtney, Courtney cuts him. 12-4.
Courtney pushing the action, seems to have a lot more gas in the tank.
TD Courtney, 12-6.
Period ends, Glory 13-6 w/ RT point.

The difference in this one was 2 tilts and RT by Glory.

Last edited:
Princeton-ASU is live on NBC Sports Philadelphia -- channel 846 here.

Teemer - Monday up.

Lots of sizing one another up, hips back, dropping to a knee, reaching, jogging in place, fakes, mat-slaps, stutter-steps, and general gazing into one another’s eyes. A busy 1st period ends 0-0.

Monday takes bottom.

R Monday, 2-0.
E Teemer, 2-1.
Rest of period goes like the first, except even more ridiculous.

Teemer takes bottom.
Quick E Teemer, 2-2.
Whoa, a shot and scramble with over a minute left to go. Nothing comes of it.
Monday does another drop-to-all-fours-mat-slap-fake, and so Teemer bulls him over with a blast double. 4-2 Teemer.
E Monday, 4-3.
Match ends that way — Teemer 4-3.

Last edited:
Teemer - Monday up.

Lots of sizing one another up, hips back, dropping to a knee, reaching, jogging in place, fakes, mat-slaps, stutter-steps, and general gazing into one another’s eyes. A busy 1st period ends 0-0.
Teemer should have been called for stalling in the first. No a single move forward.

By the time Teemer took the winning shot, which was open due to his continued retreating, he should have been DQed for stalling.

Last edited:
Teemer should have been called for stalling in the first. No a single move forward.

By the time Teemer took the winning shot, which was open due to his continued retreating, he should have been DQed for stalling.
Those two guys were clearly allergic to each other.

That’s the kind of match where the official
needs to step up and just blast them with double-stall calls until they get after it.
Seems a reasonable thing to do with that much inactivity from BOTH GUYS.

Serious question for the group, When is the last time you saw a double stall call in a college match?

Seems a reasonable thing to do with that much inactivity from BOTH GUYS.

Serious question for the group, When is the last time you saw a double stall call in a college match?
In the past month — I think in an Iowa dual a few weeks ago. Lemme think, I might find the specific dual.

But yeah, it is much underutilized.

... and the obligatory Mason Beckman tweets in favor of banning his own wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT