ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Feb 3-6

I get it, and I don't expect that you would catch a photo of me in that pose. (you could very likely catch me in other embarrassing situations) But there are probably other posters here that could get caught up in the moment and find themselves in a similar situation. I do know that he said nothing offensive. What he said was "Murin is gonna get you in Lincoln". I'm sure many here have said worse.

I believe it is as simple as keeping utmost in mind that the other team's wrestler is a young man who is somebody's son. And then treat them as one might like their own son to be treated (or themselves to have been treated as a young person).

I truly believe this mindfulness makes it easy to never get caught up in the moment. Unfortunately, those who do get caught up may be dealing with deeper issues.

I believe it is as simple as keeping utmost in mind that the other team's wrestler is a young man who is somebody's son. And then treat them as one might like their own son to be treated (or themselves to have been treated as a young person).

I truly believe this mindfulness makes it easy to never get caught up in the moment. Unfortunately, those who do get caught up may be dealing with deeper issues.
Really funny. I try to maintain the same exact mindset plus, the kid's parents may be sitting within earshot. But Angel Rivera is fair game. ;)

You are correct that this one person is not representative of the entire fan base. However, the culture of that fan base is one that is happy to berate opposing coaches, athletes, and officials on a regular basis. It is a culture that is even embraced by the coaching staff.

When that is the accepted norm for a fan base, you’re more likely to have people that cross the line.

• Haha
Reactions: 82bordeaux
I have some really big injury information about a top wrestler...but I can't tell anyone here. I just want you all to know that I know something you don't. :rolleyes:
giphy.gif
well yeah, people do that here all the time.

but people who actually identify themselves on their twitter feed as reporters for a local media outlet don't generally say specifically they have video if they don't. I assume that either (i) they're developing their own story, or (ii) they're spiking whatever story they might write for fear of lost source access.

Whether we're talking on the mat or coaching, the Brands' brand seems to be to get as close to the line of what one could charitably call "acceptable intensity" as possible. When that is leading the general culture at a program, it isn't exactly shocking when lines get crossed, whether it's Turk turning the end of the match into a shoving contest (an aspect that has been completely ignored in all this) or fans making inappropriate comments.

Booing injured players at the football game. Throwing a beer can at another football game. Throwing a bottle at Starocci. Racist remarks at the ISU wrestler. Taking the high road is nice, but give me concrete examples of our fans acting this way (in the last 5 years to be generous. All the above events happened in the last 5 months). I'll wait.
Thanks but no thanks to your trap. If you are suggesting guilt by association is a thing, then you're wrong, whether it's Iowa fans, Penn State fans or whatever. I'm reading an awful lot of hate for the Iowa fan base in your words, terribly unfair to the decent fans.

Thanks but no thanks to your trap. If you are suggesting guilt by association is a thing, then you're wrong, whether it's Iowa fans, Penn State fans or whatever. I'm reading an awful lot of hate for the Iowa fan base in your words, terribly unfair to the decent fans.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT