ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Feb 16-20

Watching that match, you could hardly call it an upset. Domination. 6-1 with 2 TDs, 1 E, RT and giving Valencia a late E. Valencia only semi-close to scoring once in the match on a blast double that never even got Meyer off his feet.
Looked like Valencia kept holding his side like he tweaked it on a mat return. He showed no energy the entire match.

Looked like Valencia kept holding his side like he tweaked it on a mat return. He showed no energy the entire match.
The mat return was after Meyer was already well in control of the match.

He's dangerous with that great blast double that he often turns into NF. I'll give him that.

Schultz dec Wood 4-2 TB1

1-1 after regulation. They traded escapes in OT, but Schultz got out earlier and would've won on criteria, countered a desperation shot for the final score.

Reactions: diggerpup
Valencia is overrated
Valencia is just one trick, the blast double from space, and he does it extremely well. If he can hit it, he can win, if he can't, he loses badly. Trouble is, his setup for his special move is more obvious than a video game boss. So it's not hard to neutralize.

Reactions: fronk71
165 drops off after the first 6 IMO ... Everyone in the first 6 is either undefeated or only has losses to each other (minus Griffith and his loss to Ramirez but seeing how he's the defending champ, I think an exception can be made here lol)

Wick - Undefeated
KOT - Undefeated
Kharchla - loss to Griffith
Marinelli- loss to Kharchla
Griffith - loss to Wick and Ramirez
Hamiti - loss to Marinelli

Wittlake has losses to Hartman and Yant
Valencia just lost to Meyer

Schultz is overrated! It will be ridiculous if he is the 2 seed for Nationals. Has zero offense, zero top game, just pushes people around and trys to get stall calls!!!!

Reactions: dbldoofus
... and it happened again.

And this will be why Extra Matches — which were long overdue and universally embraced — will be taken away.

Nice job, coaches. You may feel slighted by the framework for NCAA qualification, but it will always be about taking the mat and wrestling the matches. This gamesmanship is sad, and now you’ve ruined a good thing.

Could you imagine tomorrow Berge wrestling 157 and then 7 extra matches with wins in 1 second injury defaults.
How are extra matches decided on? I mean, why would opposing coaches want to give matches to guys they don’t want to particularly be facing at Nationals.

Could you imagine tomorrow Berge wrestling 157 and then 7 extra matches with wins in 1 second injury defaults.
Ok, maybe I’d allow that . . . because the tHR meltdown would be of epic proportions.

Sure, the convo would consist simply of MVP, Ironbird, Goblin, and Don doing a round-robin circle of their own, but the rage and hate would be epic nonetheless.

Ok, maybe I’d allow that . . . because the tHR meltdown would be of epic proportions.

Sure, the convo would consist simply of MVP, Ironbird, Goblin, and Don doing a round-robin circle of their own, but the rage and hate would be epic nonetheless.
I’d probably consider coming out of retirement over there to take part in all that. Lol

And this will be why Extra Matches — which were long overdue and universally embraced — will be taken away.

Nice job, coaches. You may feel slighted by the framework for NCAA qualification, but it will always be about taking the mat and wrestling the matches. This gamesmanship is sad, and now you’ve ruined a good thing.

Why would Santoro allow this? He's as much to blame as Zeke.

Why would Santoro allow this? He's as much to blame as Zeke.
I don’t know how much back-scratching is going on, or if there is just a gentlemen’s agreement among some faction of D1 programs to just agree to do it for some higher cause they believe in, but it is shady and I presume being done by the coaches (as opposed to the wrestlers).

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I see him getting knocked out early at Nationals. Too many good heavyweights to just stand around
Past results are not a guarantee of future performance (he finished 4th last season), but I can see him on the podium. To get there, Schultz will have to beat a Wood/Stencil/Traub type talent, which he's proven he can do.

Reactions: goldenanimal
I am not sure, but, it might have more to do with allocating a spot for the conference than national seeding.
Definitely about conference auto-qualification and at-large eligibility.

National seeding doesn't come into play. The odds of facing the other guy are pretty small in the first place.

Zeke deserves blame for this but it takes two coaches to fix a match. Santoro is even more to blame, because his guys laid down. If I'm Lehigh's AD, I'm suspending Santoro thru the postseason for this stunt, including shut out of practice. It's a direct assault on the integrity of athletic competition.

Definitely about conference auto-qualification and at-large eligibility.

National seeding doesn't come into play. The odds of facing the other guy are pretty small in the first place.

Zeke deserves blame for this but it takes two coaches to fix a match. Santoro is even more to blame, because his guys laid down. If I'm Lehigh's AD, I'm suspending Santoro thru the postseason for this stunt, including shut out of practice. It's a direct assault on the integrity of athletic competition.

I really do not understand the McGee over Hynes default though. It does not really benefit McGee as without it he is still 17-2 and a lock for the tournament. Does the loss for Hynes benefit him in someway! I understand the Ramos match as it helps his winning %.

I really do not understand the McGee over Hynes default though. It does not really benefit McGee as without it he is still 17-2 and a lock for the tournament. Does the loss for Hynes benefit him in someway! I understand the Ramos match as it helps his winning %.
Hines lost via InjDef last week, which was his 14th match. We can presume he was not able to wrestle today due to that injury, but needed one more match to get to 15 during the regular season.

Hines was 8-6 going into the match. He needs 15 matches for an RPI, and thus a shot at an EIWA auto-qualifier spot. The loss didn't matter to Lehigh, his Win % was below the threshold regardless.

Slush nailed the rationale above.

The 141 match makes even less sense. It doesn't get either guys an auto-qualification spot for their conferences. Both are below .700 Win %, and both still have too few matches for an RPI.

Reactions: slushhead
Hines was 8-6 going into the match. He needs 15 matches for an RPI, and thus a shot at an EIWA auto-qualifier spot. The loss didn't matter to Lehigh, his Win % was below the threshold regardless.

Yep. And I’m guessing they (Lehigh staff) believe or suspect Hines will not be ready for EIWA’s. RPI is one of the criteria for at-large selection. So, we are basically seeing a strategy here to ensure a best shot for 2017 Suriano Part II. Hines InjDef’s at EIWAs to check the box that he participated in the conference tourney, and he’ll have an RPI to fall back on for at-large consideration.

Yep. And I’m guessing they (Lehigh staff) believe or suspect Hines will not be ready for EIWA’s. RPI is one of the criteria for at-large selection. So, we are basically seeing a strategy here to ensure a best shot for 2017 Suriano Part II. Hines InjDef’s at EIWAs to check the box that he participated in the conference tourney, and he’ll have an RPI to fall back on for at-large consideration.
Yup. Hines was 16th in the 2/6 coaches poll. Hard to imagine he'd drop out of it after this weekend's results. So that's the strategy, or at least the backup plan.

Reactions: slushhead

The 141 match makes even less sense. It doesn't get either guys an auto-qualification spot for their conferences. Both are below .700 Win %, and both still have too few matches for an RPI.
I thought that about the RPI as well, but I saw this:

It seems to indicate that medical defaults will count towards wind but not towards the 15 match minimum for RPI.

My bad, I just noticed the injury defaults do count.
To help prevent gaming the system, I’d make a crtieria change so that InjDef’s count only if they occur after some significant period of time into the match — like maybe it counts if only >50% of the match has been wrestled before the default. Gotta go beyond 1st period, or else we’d see repeats of the Teemer-Monday match.

Other option is to not allow Extra Matches to be eligible for RPI, Win%, etc.

Anything but taking Extra Matches away entirely.

ADVERTISEMENT