ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Feb 16-20

Just got home from Columbia. What a dual! Hated losing at 184 with Marcus, but it happens.
I still can’t get over Bastida choosing neutral in the 3rd when down 3-0. I know his background is freestyle and he is still working on developing a mat game, but that was ballsy. It was cool to see him hit some stuff other than the inside trip, too, which Elam was clearly focused on avoiding (a little too focused on it, I suspect).

And, I might add that lack of a celebratory headgear spike from Bastida was big for the dual score (17-16). 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: dunkej01
I still can’t get over Bastida choosing neutral in the 3rd when down 4-0. I know his background is freestyle and he is still working on developing a mat game, but that was ballsy. It was cool to see him hit some stuff other than the inside trip, too, which Elam was clearly focused on avoiding (a little too focused on it, I suspect).

And, I might add that lack of a celebratory headgear spike from Bastida was big for the dual score (17-16). 😉
So if you were Max Dean wrestling Bastida down 1-2 in the third with choice, do you take up or down?

Reactions: LionsBrew
I still can’t get over Bastida choosing neutral in the 3rd when down 4-0. I know his background is freestyle and he is still working on developing a mat game, but that was ballsy. It was cool to see him hit some stuff other than the inside trip, too, which Elam was clearly focused on avoiding (a little too focused on it, I suspect).

Metcalf was holding his ears after the match, which I can only assume was code for, keep that headgear on!

• Haha
Reactions: slushhead

I’d say his go to is a fireman’s, and not the inside trip. Watched all his matches this year and really only seen an inside trip 3-4 times.

So if you were Max Dean wrestling Bastida down 1-2 in the third with choice, do you take up or down?
If I’m Dean and have choice? Top.

I’d say his go to is a fireman’s, and not the inside trip. Watched all his matches this year and really only seen an inside trip 3-4 times.
I’ve watched 2 or 3 of his matches and thought I saw him try it in each, and multiple times in one of them. Looking at how Elam defended the last 9 seconds last night made me think he was wary. At one point in the 1st, it seemed like Elam had it on his mind when Bastida had a deep underhook (Elam, while backing up, kicked out his near leg like he thought is was coming).

Reactions: danoftw
I just realized the score was 3-0 going into the 3rd, not 4-0. It was 4-0 midway through the 3rd after Bastida dinged for backing off edge of mat. My previous posts have been corrected.

Didn't see match - sounds like a great one. Curious, did he go straight Fireman's Carry (i.e., including dump) or did he convert it to a "duck and go-behind" when he was all the way in under his arm? I ask because it seems like guys are being taught to convert Fireman's Carries and Hi-Cs to "Duck & Go-Behind" when they're chest-deep to opponents body at the NCAA level. Imagine this is being coached to make finishes as clean and quick as possible before opponent has any chance to try and initiate a scramble such as an ankle grab or crotch-lock - makes sense given how well virtually all wrestlers can scramble at this level.

Didn't see match - sounds like a great one. Curious, did he go straight Fireman's Carry (i.e., including dump) or did he convert it to a "duck and go-behind" when he was all the way in under his arm? I ask because it seems like guys are being taught to convert Fireman's Carries and Hi-Cs to "Duck & Go-Behind" when they're chest-deep to opponents body at the NCAA level. Imagine this is being coached to make finishes as clean and quick as possible before opponent has any chance to try and initiate a scramble such as an ankle grab or crotch-lock - makes sense given how well virtually all wrestlers can scramble at this level.
He goes legitimate firemen’s that is Powerful and over the top. I will note, that sometimes it gets stuffed and he can’t get the guy lifted, so he’ll end up in a high crotch. I don’t think it ends up as a duck. In general he is an extremely quick and powerful finisher (honestly as good as there is in the NCAA imo.) so scrambling isn’t usually an issue.

Search him on YouTube and watch Purdue and UNI matches. You won’t be disappointed.

Very strange match! In the second period Bastida looked completely gassed with Elam attacking, In the Third period Bastida looked fresh and attacking and Elam completely, and I mean completely , gassed !!

The call is great
rock is one of the best in the game.

also love seeing guys who obviously have very little practice at doing it try to get off their back lol. hidlay going with the ol' junior high double leg hang there. get those feet planted on the mat son!

Reactions: slushhead
We have a pretty high bar for @smalls103 around here. He's a friend of ours, some might say.

So don't call down the thunder unless you're prepared for rain.
Automatically thought of this
giphy.gif

Even though they beat Bucknell 32-6, it doesn't look like the 2 a-days are helping at tOSU by the looks of things.

Hartman over Wittlake - tweaked knee or not - 5-0
Delp over Sheets
Mastro can't get a TD against Seidman

Fix and Young with expected performances and then not much else. OKST seems to be dropping like a rock.

Reactions: backdrft76
Rock Harrison lost his mind. If you put him and Sparks on a broadcast together, the screen might explode.
Rock (a former college ref) is in my opinion the best announcer in college wrestling! He’s even handed and explains positions & rules better than anyone on BTN. Rock’s only downside is that he constantly reviews the basics which is probably a reflection of the audience (ACC) that his network is trying to grow. Radio: Ironhead is tops!!

Check out the guy in the back left of the vid in a brown jacket. He is going absolutely ape $hit while Hayden is on his back.

Purdue vs. Northwestern on BTN TV right now. Schroder vs. Deaugustino at the moment.

After the Rider vs. PSU match on Sunday, Iowa vs. Nebraska on BTN TV.

SundayFebruary 20, 2022IowaatNebraska7:00 PM

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Good Lord, this 174 lbs match in NW-Purdue Dual might be the boringest match I've ever seen. 1-1 in SV1 - both wrestlers escaped inside of 10 seconds.... nearly 7 minutes of Neutral wrestling (6 min 45 seconds to be exact) in regulation, no takedowns, no stall calls.... utterly ridiculous and brutal watching.

Good Lord, this 174 lbs match in NW-Purdue Dual might be the boringest match I've ever seen. 1-1 in SV1 - both wrestlers escaped inside of 10 seconds.... nearly 7 minutes of Neutral wrestling (6 min 45 seconds to be exact) in regulation, no takedowns, no stall calls.... utterly ridiculous and brutal watching.

184 another 1-1 match going to SV1.

Valencia of ASU upset by unranked Lehigh wrestler, 5-1 decision.
Watching that match, you could hardly call it an upset. Domination. 6-1 with 2 TDs, 1 E, RT and giving Valencia a late E. Valencia only semi-close to scoring once in the match on a blast double that never even got Meyer off his feet.

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT