ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games — Conference Championships Edition

If he had no desire to wrestle Suriano, would he have attempted Collegiate Duals? Or would he have sat and recovered for the entire year uninterrupted?
Was it just on this forum that no one really knew what weight he was choosing?

Bad news for Edsell -- Anthony Valencia failed to qualify.

Pac12 got 3 spots at 165. Valencia lost the 3rd place match in SV, go figure.

Silver lining: Valencia's loss was to Oregon State's Olguin -- so that's one more NQ Edsell beat this year, which is one of the selection criteria.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
Schultz beats Traub 2-1. Stalling point and escape which gives ASU team title by 1/2 point over Oregon St. 115-114.5

ACC Tourney was great. GA seats so basically could sit in the first row! Good wrestling. Andonian and Wilson are looking very good and will be a tough take out. Hoagie is a monster, relentless and his brother is capable of making noise at 174. Think Lewis wouldn't have a hard time making 65 but that's my old eyes. He didn't need to but I feel Cstar matches up against him better than Hidlay. Wow, great time of year. 10 day count down

[Originally mis-posted in the B1G tournament thread]

I'll post some photos and words about Lock Haven's damn good weekend at the MACs in Athens Ohio. Last year, Lock Haven didn't decide to have a season until pretty late, and wound up finishing with only 40 points, last place. This year they had four finalists, two champs, and will send (at least) five to Detroit, winning the MACs with room to spare.

Anthony Noto was supposed to redshirt behind Luke Werner at 125, but when Werner went down with a torn up knee, Noto filled in about as well as anyone could, ending the season with only one loss.

Gable Strickland (133) is a TRFR who wrestles loose and has high upside. Has some problems getting out from bottom, like most TRFR, but fought back from an early loss to finish 3rd. He'll be on the podium someday but probably won't get an at-large bid.

Deshawn Farber (149), another TRFR and .500 wrestler entering took advantage of a late-season dip by starter Connor Eck to take over the starting spot and 5 allocation slots at 149 to secure fifth at the MACs and thus a reservation to Detroit. Another guy who noticeably improved from the start of the season to the end.

Ben Barton (157), a Campbell transfer (a 2x NQ there), had a great season and appears to have benefited from being in the Lock Haven room, having his best season yet, going 25-7 and winning the MACs. Smart wrestler with a great feel.

Ashton Eyler (165), a sophomore, surprised me because his start wasn't great. He also surprised me in matches by looking overmatched only to wind up scoring back points. Crafty wrestler who gives up his legs and looks to score from D. He finished second at the MACs, and is going to Detroit.

Isaac Reid (HWT) is also going to Detroit after finishing second behind Matt Stencel. Reid has overcome a pulmonary embolism to get here. He'll have a hard time getting onto the podium with such a crowded, talented field at heavy, but he's talented and all in and I can see him winning a few.

The other starters all finished stronger than where they started. Having seen the program up close all season, I can say with some conviction that Scott Moore is a damn good coach whose influence can be seen on his wrestlers and the program at larger. Nate Carr Jr is also talented and dedicated, and in the wrestlers' ears at all times--it's sometimes hard to tell when it's Nate or Scott coaching during a match, unless you're looking at who's yelling--their instructional yelling voice is practically the same. Moore is also one of the more effective referee badgerers out there. He sometimes manages to cross the line and gets hit with team points, but probably makes up for it with the calls he influences.

Last edited:
r8NRUfp.jpg

0hPQ0if.jpg

00Tuped.jpg

MVywg54.jpg

F0Lwg7g.jpg

9SeEyh9.jpg

6Ab4Tki.jpg

7v4K2lj.jpg

4th pic from top is classic! Lol. Then the one a few more down with The kid flexing…same kid that was sticking his tongue out at you? Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: tikk10
[Originally mis-posted in the B1G tournament thread]

I'll post some photos and words about Lock Haven's damn good weekend at the MACs in Athens Ohio. Last year, Lock Haven didn't decide to have a season until pretty late, and wound up finishing with only 40 points, last place. This year they had four finalists, two champs, and will send (at least) five to Detroit, winning the MACs with room to spare.

Anthony Noto was supposed to redshirt behind Luke Werner at 125, but when Werner went down with a torn up knee, Noto filled in about as well as anyone could, ending the season with only one loss.

Gable Strickland (133) is a TRFR who wrestles loose and has high upside. Has some problems getting out from bottom, like most TRFR, but fought back from an early loss to finish 3rd. He'll be on the podium someday but probably won't get an at-large bid.

Deshawn Farber (149), another TRFR and .500 wrestler entering took advantage of a late-season dip by starter Connor Eck to take over the starting spot and 5 allocation slots at 149 to secure fifth at the MACs and thus a reservation to Detroit. Another guy who noticeably improved from the start of the season to the end.

Ben Barton (157), a Campbell transfer (a 2x NQ there), had a great season and appears to have benefited from being in the Lock Haven room, having his best season yet, going 25-7 and winning the MACs. Smart wrestler with a great feel.

Ashton Eyler (165), a sophomore, surprised me because his start wasn't great. He also surprised me in matches by looking overmatched only to wind up scoring back points. Crafty wrestler who gives up his legs and looks to score from D. He finished second at the MACs, and is going to Detroit.

Isaac Reid (HWT) is also going to Detroit after finishing second behind Matt Stencel. Reid has overcome a pulmonary embolism to get here. He'll have a hard time getting onto the podium with such a crowded, talented field at heavy, but he's talented and all in and I can see him winning a few.

The other starters all finished stronger than where they started. Having seen the program up close all season, I can say with some conviction that Scott Moore is a damn good coach whose influence can be seen on his wrestlers and the program at larger. Nate Carr Jr is also talented and dedicated, and in the wrestlers' ears at all times--it's sometimes hard to tell when it's Nate or Scott coaching during a match, unless you're looking at who's yelling--their instructional yelling voice is practically the same. Moore is also one of the more effective referee badgerers out there. He sometimes manages to cross the line and gets hit with team points, but probably makes up for it with the calls he influences.
Had you been to Athens before? Really beautiful campus. I wrestled for Ohio University. Looks like they had a horrible tournament. They haven’t been good for awhile but I’m not sure that they qualified anyone.

Had you been to Athens before? Really beautiful campus. I wrestled for Ohio University. Looks like they had a horrible tournament. They haven’t been good for awhile but I’m not sure that they qualified anyone.
I hadn't, and it was a really nice campus. I liked the downtown area, what little I saw of it. The crew there was really accommodating. The arena itself was impressive, but also maddening, not having any corners. I took a few times circumnavigating it before I was able to get my bearings as to where the hospitality and media rooms were in relation to the mats.

Ohio University didn't qualify anyone. They had a few competitive guys. Sal Perrine came closest, getting to the finals at 174, where two slots were available, losing, and then losing again in the true second match. The true second match had a wild, contested finish that involved a long review, where the Buffalo fans and hometown fans felt ready to throw down. With a 24-4 record, albeit against thin competition, Perrine might still draw in. Jordan Slivka, who lost in the semis in SV to Ben Barton at 157, had a decent shot as well but finished fourth with only two slots. Doubt he finds his way in with a 21-7 record.

Reactions: zzs006
Also appreciate your Lock Haven breakdowns and photos @tikk10 . As a MAC grad myself (went to Northern Illinois) it's always good to get some ink to the kind of forgotten conference, especially now that Mizzou and UNI have left.

I hadn't, and it was a really nice campus. I liked the downtown area, what little I saw of it. The crew there was really accommodating. The arena itself was impressive, but also maddening, not having any corners. I took a few times circumnavigating it before I was able to get my bearings as to where the hospitality and media rooms were in relation to the mats.

Ohio University didn't qualify anyone. They had a few competitive guys. Sal Perrine came closest, getting to the finals at 174, where two slots were available, losing, and then losing again in the true second match. The true second match had a wild, contested finish that involved a long review, where the Buffalo fans and hometown fans felt ready to throw down. With a 24-4 record, albeit against thin competition, Perrine might still draw in. Jordan Slivka, who lost in the semis in SV to Ben Barton at 157, had a decent shot as well but finished fourth with only two slots. Doubt he finds his way in with a 21-7 record.
Thanks for the run down. I really appreciate it and loved your photos.

Following up my reply to @zzs006 to mention that both Ohio U guys mentioned above drew in.

Reactions: zzs006
ADVERTISEMENT