ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results and Goldfish Games - Week of Jan 3

Was always curious how Hawk fans felt about Warner. Has had a pretty good career so far but wondering if you are happy with him thus far in relation to his ranking coming out of H.S. and the Hawk fans expectations of him.
he’s good. 2 for 2 placing at ncaa’s, including a top 5 finish. i think the perception is colored by that early destruction of miklus. people assumed he would be a 2-3x champ, bonus machine. that match was always an outlier. if he ends up placing 4x, you can’t really complain.

he’s good. 2 for 2 placing at ncaa’s, including a top 5 finish. i think the perception is colored by that early destruction of miklus. people assumed he would be a 2-3x champ, bonus machine. that match was always an outlier. if he ends up placing 4x, you can’t really complain.
Yeah he’s good but I don’t know, type it f recruit I think Iowa needs to start hitting home runs on though. Marinelli would be another one that ai certainly expected more from. Would you agree Kennedy is the same type of recruit that Warner was? If so, you’d be happy if he delivers in the same way that Warnerov has?

Yeah he’s good but I don’t know, type it f recruit I think Iowa needs to start hitting home runs on though. Marinelli would be another one that ai certainly expected more from. Would you agree Kennedy is the same type of recruit that Warner was? If so, you’d be happy if he delivers in the same way that Warnerov has?
Kennedy sure looks like an NCAA champ to my eye. I think if he finishes his career without one, he will be disappointed, let alone the coaches and fan base.

Seems to be the general pattern 141 and up for them recently (#lightweightU)

There are not many recruits with better accolades coming into college than Warner. Cadet World medal, 2 Fargo titles, Ironman. Ranked #7 (just about where Nickal was ranked). I thought top 10 guys just automatically win titles? No need to coach them?

Agree he does. I thought the Bull did too early on, was really worried Warner would be a beast when they got him.

To be honest I was bummed when Iowa landed Warner, Kemerer and Marinelli. I thought all three had the potential to be multi-time national champs.

I think this is a small but relevant sample of recent blue chippers that, although they had very admirable careers; going O-fer for championships, is an indication of that program's inability to maximize potential.

IMO Spencer was going to be 3xer at this point in his career no matter where he went. I am quite confident had the 3 kids named above gone to PSU, there is no way in hell that collective comes away with zero individual championships.

In this respect tOSU does a much better job, granted not as well as PSU. It still stings when we see recruiting classes like what tOSU had this past year, only to hear Cael wanted some of them.

I honestly wonder if most highschool kids these days have done much research or have an awareness of what Cael has accomplished over the past decade? Placing aside % of scholarships and NIL money, I continue to find it hard to believe Cael doesn't land every single blue chipper he desires.

I wonder how many top 5 P4P kids around the country, by the time their junior NCAA year comes around regret looking across the mat at blue and white, and feel that twinge of regret. Knowing their career has fallen short of their goals, and the thought of 'what if' creeps in.

Hey America, the frigging jury is in and the results are not debatable, Cael develops talent the best in the country, by a wide margin, bar no other program. Why trust your passion, your future, your career with someone who has a multi year track record of under delivering?

To be honest I was bummed when Iowa landed Warner, Kemerer and Marinelli. I thought all three had the potential to be multi-time national champs.

I think this is a small but relevant sample of recent blue chippers that, although they had very admirable careers; going O-fer for championships, is an indication of that program's inability to maximize potential.

IMO Spencer was going to be 3xer at this point in his career no matter where he went. I am quite confident had the 3 kids named above gone to PSU, there is no way in hell that collective comes away with zero individual championships.

In this respect tOSU does a much better job, granted not as well as PSU. It still stings when we see recruiting classes like what tOSU had this past year, only to hear Cael wanted some of them.

I honestly wonder if most highschool kids these days have done much research or have an awareness of what Cael has accomplished over the past decade? Placing aside % of scholarships and NIL money, I continue to find it hard to believe Cael doesn't land every single blue chipper he desires.

I wonder how many top 5 P4P kids around the country, by the time their junior NCAA year comes around regret looking across the mat at blue and white, and feel that twinge of regret. Knowing their career has fallen short of their goals, and the thought of 'what if' creeps in.

Hey America, the frigging jury is in and the results are not debatable, Cael develops talent the best in the country, by a wide margin, bar no other program. Why trust your passion, your future, your career with someone who has a multi year track record of under delivering?
Kenny Courts certainly had that regret and tweeted it out - then got slapped down by JJag and a Buckeye horde. It was pretty funny

Seems to be the general pattern 141 and up for them recently (#lightweightU)

There are not many recruits with better accolades coming into college than Warner. Cadet World medal, 2 Fargo titles, Ironman. Ranked #7 (just about where Nickal was ranked). I thought top 10 guys just automatically win titles? No need to coach them?
They do, if they go to Penn State. Not so much if they go to Iowa.

This would have been Marinelli's first year starting and Kem would have spent 7 years on the pine.

Need this guy to deliver your message

Maybe I'm in the minority, but shouldn't Ferrari be considered the favorite to win 197. I'm not sure who could beat him if he's healthy. He's tough to score on.
Max Dean. Be a homer! Everything is Crystal Clear with the right Blue and White goggles!

Drew: finalist
RBY: Champ; shares Hodge
Nlee: Champ; shares Hodge
BB: finalist
Negron: R16 / Berge finalist
Edsell: AA / Berge finalist
CStar: Champ; shares Hodge
AB: Champ; shares Hodge
Dean: Champ; Shares Hodge
Kerk: Finalist; loses in SV to GS on BS call

I’ll be honest too, I think if I weee Brands I’d be looking to make a coaching change. Lol. Who handles these guys? Morningstar?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Max Dean. Be a homer! Everything is Crystal Clear with the right Blue and White goggles!

This is completely and utterly ridiculous. GS has nightmares of the Blue and White and I think Kerk took him down once, so 5-2 Kerk!! Lol

and you are missing 4 more champs!! Cmon!!

Yeah why not... im on board with those picks. Let's go!

Reactions: nitlion6 and mcpat

Hilarious, yet still not quite up to the 2018 Ohio State standard for homertastic predictions.

So the Ayala kid looks pretty damn good. He seems kinda tall. Does he stay at 125 or is he a future 133?

Last edited:
I think he cuts a lot of weight. Maybe first match after weigh-ins might be the time someone could grind him.
The above post was in reference to catching a competitor early, before the full/partial benefit of hydrating and eating a little bit.

Remember that the rules have changed, and weigh-ins for day 2 at B1G's and NCAA's and day 3 at NCAA's are now two hours before the start of wrestling. This is a big deal, especially for the lightweights that go first and now have an extra hour.

Loved the Lawrence Welk walk-out music.
And a one, and a two...
giphy-downsized-large.gif

To add to what Goggles said, this is from a thread I started in 2020:
A few days ago Andrew Spey at Flo published a very detailed statistical analysis of which coach peaks their team best for NCAAs. Unfortunately the article is only available to Pro members, but the numbers and his conclusions are worth mentioning here. To summarize, since Cael has been at Penn State, his wrestlers have succeeded, or "peaked", at a rate nearly double other schools such as Iowa, Ohio State, Minnesota and Cornell.

There is one statistical measurement that Spey used for his analysis this time that he has not used on previous occasions when he researched the topic of peaking at NCAAs. He looked at the average of points scored for seeds 1-12 for the last 21 years of NCAA tournament results. This allowed him to better gauge how well top-seeded wrestlers actually performed historically compared to their seed. Without that analysis, teams with many top-seeded wrestlers, especially #1 seeds, have their results skewed since their wrestlers have nowhere to generally go but down in where they place.

After all of his statistical analysis Spey summarized his thoughts with, "But I think this is pretty strong evidence that Cael has figured out how to get more out of his wrestlers than other coaches would if they had the same team."

On a side note, it was interesting to see how poorly Oklahoma State has performed in relation to peaking compared to other schools during the Cael Penn State years. For the 12 schools that qualified the most wrestlers to the NCAA Tournament during the Cael Penn State years, Oklahoma State was ranked #10, with Penn State statistically nearly eight times more successful in getting their wrestlers to peak for the NCAA tournament. Maybe the Oklahoma State wrestlers do cut too much weight throughout the season? Another thought is that the strength of schedule being in the B1G better prepares those schools for the rigors of the NCAA tournament. I would love to hear your thoughts on all of this.

Reactions: mcpat
To add to what Goggles said, this is from a thread I started in 2020:
A few days ago Andrew Spey at Flo published a very detailed statistical analysis of which coach peaks their team best for NCAAs. Unfortunately the article is only available to Pro members, but the numbers and his conclusions are worth mentioning here. To summarize, since Cael has been at Penn State, his wrestlers have succeeded, or "peaked", at a rate nearly double other schools such as Iowa, Ohio State, Minnesota and Cornell.

There is one statistical measurement that Spey used for his analysis this time that he has not used on previous occasions when he researched the topic of peaking at NCAAs. He looked at the average of points scored for seeds 1-12 for the last 21 years of NCAA tournament results. This allowed him to better gauge how well top-seeded wrestlers actually performed historically compared to their seed. Without that analysis, teams with many top-seeded wrestlers, especially #1 seeds, have their results skewed since their wrestlers have nowhere to generally go but down in where they place.

After all of his statistical analysis Spey summarized his thoughts with, "But I think this is pretty strong evidence that Cael has figured out how to get more out of his wrestlers than other coaches would if they had the same team."

On a side note, it was interesting to see how poorly Oklahoma State has performed in relation to peaking compared to other schools during the Cael Penn State years. For the 12 schools that qualified the most wrestlers to the NCAA Tournament during the Cael Penn State years, Oklahoma State was ranked #10, with Penn State statistically nearly eight times more successful in getting their wrestlers to peak for the NCAA tournament. Maybe the Oklahoma State wrestlers do cut too much weight throughout the season? Another thought is that the strength of schedule being in the B1G better prepares those schools for the rigors of the NCAA tournament. I would love to hear your thoughts on all of this.
I just read the study. Very interesting. I do wonder how much of it is a case of Cael training them through Big Tens and therefore netting Penn State wrestlers a worse seed than they might have earned if they had placed a higher priority on performing well at Big Tens. It's a luxury they can typically afford more so than others. I'm not saying that's why they are an outlier as compared to everyone else, but I bet it contributes. I believe Cael believes in a heavy training load through Big Tens before backing off for NCAAs. I also think his wrestlers tend to cut less weight than others, with some exceptions, and that tends to show itself in a 3-day tournament with 3 days of weigh-ins. Whatever the case, the results speak for themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT