ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NOTES/VIDEO: Cael Sanderson & Max Dean meet with media

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Last edited by a moderator:
Starting with Cael, as per usual.

Asked about seniors coming back for an extra year, Cael says it's been tough for anybody and the world outside of wrestling. Says the was the NCAA handled everything has also presented a challenge re: some wrestlers not getting four chances and others getting five. Adds that there may be some fifth-year guys whose hearts aren't in it, but they think "how can I not do it?"

RE: Nick Lee's extra year specifically, apparently PSU was attempting to get a waiver for an extra year and they took that the whole way before rule change. Also says that wrestlers expected last year's NCAA Championship to be cancelled as well, which was difficult mentally.

On pushing for more bonus points: It's just about competing and being the best you can be, because some times a one-point win is a great effort and sometimes a one-point loss is a great effort.

Asked about Bartlett's offense: He's just got to pull the trigger. He certainly has the ability to go do really well, and part of that would be to just go get that takedown.

"I think Terrell is close and we've seen with Tony that he's also close, it's just kind of getting over the edge there...we're not really set there yet." - On 157.

Asked about Gardner: He's playing with that idea (of returning), it's not really something where I can give you a concrete answers.

On Kerkvliet: I think obviously Greg will learn from that and hopefully we can make some adjustments next time around, but I'd say that's more a good job of his opponent of making him uncomfortable or comfortable really in those situations.

Adds that Greg was disappointed, but that Cass is one of the best guys in the country and that he believes he learned a few things he can put into play the next time around.

Max Dean on how close the top of 197 is nationally: It a challenge, but it's something that pushes you to raise your level.

On the busy schedule: It's been great, there's a lot of big duals, no pun intended, but it's been a lot of fun to go and compete. It's certainly busy, we're on the road a lot. But you take care of schoolwork when you can, training when you can...

Dean sends his well-wishes to AJ Ferrari, but adds that he doesn't have social media so he doesn't know a ton about it.

Then notes that the B1G is the toughest wrestling conference, so it's a little different (than other conference) because you have to be ready to go every weekend. Says each match is an opportunity to work on his craft and get ready for March.

"They're into it, is one way to put it," Dean said of the Iowa crowd. Says he doesn't really hear the specifics until later until his family told him.

Adds that he's well conditioned and tries to stay calm and composed and that's what helps him succeed late in matches.

Reactions: nitlion6
Dean says he didn't know that he was leading when he got the takedown because he didn't hear the second stall call, but that he was going to look to turn regardless and that if you're able to hit any turn for a 4NF you have a good chance to win the match.

"They're into it, is one way to put it," Dean said of the Iowa crowd. Says he doesn't really hear the specifics until later until his family told him.

Adds that he's well conditioned and tries to stay calm and composed and that's what helps him succeed late in matches.
I wonder if any Iowa fans were willing to talk trash to Gabe Dean's face directly?

Reactions: nitlion6
I wonder if any Iowa fans were willing to talk trash to Gabe Dean's face directly?
I have to add, since I met Gabe in the ice cream line, he is certainly imposing looking with a barrel chest and extreme cauliflower ears, but could not have been a nicer person to talk to! I doubt many would be stupid enough to trash talk to his face, though he would probably ignore most of it if they did.

Very impressed with the Max Dean interview. Seems like a great young man - on and off the mat.

Love that he avoids social media. He commented that it's not just the time you spend posting and responding, but the time you spend thinking about it.

Excellent addition to the program.

I have to add, since I met Gabe in the ice cream line, he is certainly imposing looking with a barrel chest and extreme cauliflower ears, but could not have been a nicer person to talk to! I doubt many would be stupid enough to trash talk to his face, though he would probably ignore most of it if they did.
Can't forget, this guy did just come out of a multi year retirement and gave DT his toughest matches from anyone but 2021 World Gold Medalists (Yazdani, JB)

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Not discussed above is the question at 5:20 about the BJC matches and Cael said each year it feels more like a home environment and that we should think about having more matches there to provide opportunities for fans and to build the fan base.

Yet another fool that thinks wrestlers could become tired of the grind after spending all that time in the room…
Ah, but lest you forget the 5D chess. Cael reads these boards and knows there is no dagger to the heart of the tHR faithful like validating your claims. All while knowing Tom follows the boards, too, and will see all of this as his senior citizen empire crumbles. 😁

Ah, but lest you forget the 5D chess. Cael reads these boards and knows there is no dagger to the heart of the tHR faithful like validating your claims. All while knowing Tom follows the boards, too, and will see all of this as his senior citizen empire crumbles. 😁

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT