ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NOTES/AUDIO: Media Availability with Cael Sanderson (2/14)

Ask him if his transfer portal password is - "That'swhatwedo" or "Ihaveaplan"
TIA.

Reactions: cvlion218
On the weekend off: They had some time off, but we also had a chance really to step our conditioning up and get some work in. Now it's just get ready to compete on Sunday.

Reactions: diggerpup
Gonna have Cael with us here at 11. Hoping to clarify the situation at 157 and get an update on some health statuses ahead of the last dual of the year.

Definitely don't ask him if Brady is going 57 (like you did last time) - there's someone on here who is tired of you asking such bullshit questions when it is an immutable fact that he's going 65 regardless of the obtuse answer Cael gave you last time you asked. ;-)

On Brady: He was on solid shape, but never really had a chance to focus in on conditioning.

No answer as to weight.

On injuries: This time of year you've definitely got some bumps and bruises. There's never been a team they've had that didn't. Adds that we'll see who goes Sunday, that'll be decided the day before and it depends what's in the best interest of each guy.

On senior day/not having a ton of seniors: I think we have more kids that will be moving on that you think. Kids that have graduated or exhausted their eligibility. But we may not know that until later on and for Cael, nationals is more senior night for him.

On Nick Lee graduating: Was an AA when we needed his points, and battled back to fifth place after losing.

Adds that he's a good guy and great leader and that he offers consistency in his attitude and work ethic.

On his last season: I don't know if it's meant more, but it's definitely been a different atmosphere, especially being one of the older guys on the team.

On his tournament experience: There's less uncertainty, less nervousness. You get more excited because you know what's coming and not a lot of guys get to do it.

Asked about the Big Ten Tournament, Nick says at some weights he believes it's the toughest tournament in the country.

On senior day/not having a ton of seniors: I think we have more kids that will be moving on that you think. Kids that have graduated or exhausted their eligibility. But we may not know that until later on and for Cael, nationals is more senior night for him.
Other than RBY, who else on the team could possibly have graduated but still have eligibility remaining? Maybe Dean, but can't think of anyone else.

Other than RBY, who else on the team could possibly have graduated but still have eligibility remaining? Maybe Dean, but can't think of anyone else.
The following guys are on at least their 4th year:
Hildebrandt, Campbell
RBY, Meredith
Lee
Heard, Feite
Berge, Gardner, Blumer
Edsell, Kraeszig
Manville
(no 184s)
Dean
Snacks, Hoopes

Possibly Negron too -- his first 3 years are listed as Wolfpack Weestling Club.

That's not to say all or even most of them will depart, but Cael is right that this is an unusually large number.

The following guys are on at least their 4th year:

Dean
Snacks, Hoopes

Possibly Negron too -- his first 3 years are listed as Wolfpack Weestling Club.

That's not to say all or even most of them will depart, but Cael is right that this is an unusually large number.
Pretty sure that Max Dean is only in his third year of college. Greyshirt, Cornell, Cornell, Olympic RS, COVID, Penn State.

Reactions: McScoreley
Max Dean has another year but you wonder if he plans to take it. Next year is his 7th year out of high school. I think his performance at NCAAs this year can determine a lot. If he wins, I can see him calling it.

Reactions: Ski
Max Dean has another year but you wonder if he plans to take it. Next year is his 7th year out of high school. I think his performance at NCAAs this year can determine a lot. If he wins, I can see him calling it.
I also wonder if that was part of Beard being willing to stay on. I guess we’ll see.

Reactions: billrag and Ski
On Nick Lee graduating: Was an AA when we needed his points, and battled back to fifth place after losing.

Adds that he's a good guy and great leader and that he offers consistency in his attitude and work ethic.
I put his 2018 tournament as the highlight of his career. Yes, I know he won a title last year but he was a tossup to do that regardless. It wasn't super surprising all in all when it was a 1 point match against Eierman at Big Tens.

2018 - he was a true freshman, got packed by a guy he almost teched in regular season and drew a 9 seed (Josh Alber) immediately. To lose like that and know that you bouncing early was likely it for the team ... he handled it like an absolutely veteran. Rattled off 5 wins in a row for the team (outplaced Nevills and Shak) to allow the hammers to seal it up on Saturday night. 141 was very deep that year also (as it usually is)

When Cael made that comment about having more people leaving, I though of Dean as well. I’m fine with him moving along, if it happens, and I’m excited to see an improved Beard over a full season.

When Cael made that comment about having more people leaving, I though of Dean as well. I’m fine with him moving along, if it happens, and I’m excited to see an improved Beard over a full season.
Yup - especially when he said Nationals is senior night. I think Max's decision hinges on his results at nationals. I think if he doesn't win though, he would lean on coming back. Complete speculation.

Last edited:
I put his 2018 tournament as the highlight of his career. Yes, I know he won a title last year but he was a tossup to do that regardless. It wasn't super surprising all in all when it was a 1 point match against Eierman at Big Tens.

2018 - he was a true freshman, got packed by a guy he almost teched in regular season and drew a 9 seed (Josh Alber) immediately. To lose like that and know that you bouncing early was likely it for the team ... he handled it like an absolutely veteran. Rattled off 5 wins in a row for the team (outplaced Nevills and Shak) to allow the hammers to seal it up on Saturday night. 141 was very deep that year also (as it usually is)
When Buckeye fans speak of Pletcher as a favorite to win in 2020, they clearly are forgetting Cael and crew’s Sat night magic. They were 1-1 against each other that season, with Pletcher winning at the Schembechler Open, but who’s betting against Nick for all the marbles.

Same! Whoa - who's that Spencer Lee kid from Iowa in the portal? Worth contacting?
I like PSU's options next year at 125 but if he would land somewhere that doesn't start with an IOWA (not including IOWA STATE (you're welcome James)) then I'm good with that.

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT