ADVERTISEMENT

Football Notable changes to PSU Football's 2022 schedule

The biggest change here is obviously the Nittany Lions not playing Michigan and Ohio State back-to-back as originally scheduled for October 1 and October 8. They still get them in a tough stretch of games with Minnesota sandwiched between the two but this schedule is by far much better for Penn State and also is a bit more balanced.

Interestingly, we start our B1G schedule on the road for, what, the 12th out of the last 13 seasons? Secondly, two of our first three games are on the road (Purdue and Auburn). I can't recall that happening for some time.

Penn State has taken the schedule down from its website. Perhaps more changes to come, perhaps they simply jumped the gun in posting it.

Anyway if this is correct - and I had heard Big Ten conference schedule changes were coming for 2022 - then the most interesting thing is the lack of Illinois. We are scheduled to have them as our new every year opponent from the other division replacing Iowa and would be playing them for 6 years. If they aren’t on there then either they’ve changed those opponents or they’ve just moved away from the schedule format

It is rumored we will be going to 8 conference games in the near future to accommodate playing both PAC-12 and ACC teams each year.

Anyway if this is correct - and I had heard Big Ten conference schedule changes were coming for 2022 - then the most interesting thing is the lack of Illinois. We are scheduled to have them as our new every year opponent from the other division replacing Iowa and would be playing them for 6 years. If they aren’t on there then either they’ve changed those opponents or they’ve just moved away from the schedule format

It is rumored we will be going to 8 conference games in the near future to accommodate playing both PAC-12 and ACC teams each year.
Good catch, it does appear that something significant is changing here.

Can we get a side by side of the old one and new one?

OldNew.png

As indicated above, PSU has restored the old schedule. Maybe they released it too early?

The biggest change here is obviously the Nittany Lions not playing Michigan and Ohio State back-to-back as originally scheduled for October 1 and October 8. They still get them in a tough stretch of games with Minnesota sandwiched between the two but this schedule is by far much better for Penn State and also is a bit more balanced.
Definitely a big boost for us.

It's likely the actual schedule, think someone just accidentally published it before they were supposed to.
This new schedule is better for us. Like getting O$U much later in the season. With that said though the Minny game scares me. If we lose a tough one at scUM which probably happens, we are down combined with Franklin does not rebound well from losses and we are looking ahead to O$U adds up to that game is a big time trap. Hate to say it but that could be 3 losses in a row.

BTW here is an article about the Big Ten planning to change the schedules for 2022 which lends credence that the new schedule was probably real but prematurely released.

This new schedule is better for us. Like getting O$U much later in the season. With that said though the Minny game scares me. If we lose a tough one at scUM which probably happens, we are down combined with Franklin does not rebound well from losses and we are looking ahead to O$U adds up to that game is a big time trap. Hate to say it but that could be 3 losses in a row.
If past history is any indication.

So, the return of 1 yr OC Cirroca to Happy Valley. That will be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT