ADVERTISEMENT

Not this year but probably next, it will be time to discuss the 'B' word. (link)

Cosmos

May 29, 2001

What's he up to now, $7.0M counting bonuses? If so, then it will be $7.75M next year. If I'm doing the math correctly then a $3.0M buyout next year will save you $8.5M (2023) + $9.25M (2024) + $10.0M (2025) for a net "savings" of $24.75M. That's a tidy sum to throw at a talented young coach who's hungry for success and envious of what facilities we have as well as our recruiting area. Remember, Gary Patterson showed up at TCU living out of his car. Point being, the talent is out there.

I only present the scenario because 2022 (i.e., the post-Clifford era) does not forecast well. Of course, the wild card in the deck is the transfer portal. Plus, CJF needs an OL coach whose specialty is run blocking and not sliding off blocks like Polytetrafluoroethylene after initial contact. JMO.

If the buyout is $3.0M then PSU should consider buying him out. But I think it is way more than that for PSU to buy him out. It is basically like paying him the rest of his contract. The $3.0M is if another school hires him away; that is how much the other school needs to pay PSU.

Hmmm. Are you sure about that? Because if it is then Sandy should be fired. She'd never get away with making such a gross miscalculation in the private sector. No! She'd be run out of town on a rail.

I’m looking at places like Oregon, Cincinnati, and MSU…..schools who have changed coaches in the last few years and are in the top ten.

Yes! And how much of Sparty's roster consists of mercenaries. JCF said he didn't want the transfer portal to upset team chemistry. Well, it seems like NOT using it has upset team chemistry. Take Ole Miss. They've four starters on D who came from the portal. Without them Ole Miss wouldn't have the D to complement its O and thereby be in the hunt for a SEC West title. Franklin has some serious depth chart issues at QB and DT. He did nothing to address it and it is inexcusable.

Reactions: cment and db90

What's he up to now, $7.0M counting bonuses? If so, then it will be $7.75M next year. If I'm doing the math correctly then a $3.0M buyout next year will save you $8.5M (2023) + $9.25M (2024) + $10.0M (2025) for a net "savings" of $24.75M. That's a tidy sum to throw at a talented young coach who's hungry for success and envious of what facilities we have as well as our recruiting area. Remember, Gary Patterson showed up at TCU living out of his car. Point being, the talent is out there.

I only present the scenario because 2022 (i.e., the post-Clifford era) does not forecast well. Of course, the wild card in the deck is the transfer portal. Plus, CJF needs an OL coach whose specialty is run blocking and not sliding off blocks like Polytetrafluoroethylene after initial contact. JMO.

The run block teaching wasnt good enough, or maybe it was you was just meshin aroun in the mesh point too long and maybe should even put the shotgun down too, at least for a whole drive.

Assuming Clifford is back and the recruiting class sticks no reason next season can't be good. We duck the top teams in the west. Auburn will be breaking in a new QB and our starter (assuming its Clifford) will have played plenty of games in hostile road environments. OSU is home during a white out so punchers chance. UM in the big house is tough but Harbaugh doesn't reload like OSU does (no back to back 10 win seasons since 15/16). After UM they should be favored in every game.

Next year would be a ton of fun with a new coach, a bunch of the top of the recruiting class including Allar gone, new oc, new dc, Roberson as the most experienced returning QB. If that scenario plays out and the new guy is 3-3 after the Michigan game and 0-3 vs ranked teams everyone here can get right back to bitching. Will also be quite the spring board to a great recruiting class in 2023.

Assuming Clifford is back and the recruiting class sticks no reason next season can't be good. We duck the top teams in the west. Auburn will be breaking in a new QB and our starter (assuming its Clifford) will have played plenty of games in hostile road environments. OSU is home during a white out so punchers chance. UM in the big house is tough but Harbaugh doesn't reload like OSU does (no back to back 10 win seasons since 15/16). After UM they should be favored in every game.

Next year would be a ton of fun with a new coach, a bunch of the top of the recruiting class including Allar gone, new oc, new dc, Roberson as the most experienced returning QB. If that scenario plays out and the new guy is 3-3 after the Michigan game and 0-3 vs ranked teams everyone here can get right back to bitching. Will also be quite the spring board to a great recruiting class in 2023.

why do you think Auburn will be breaking in a new starter at QB?

ADVERTISEMENT