ADVERTISEMENT

Not a great day for KJ Hamler at Indy...

I know I think its their decision and has nothing to do with me.
I'm sure Nick Saban sees it that way, its not like it would be a benefit to Nick Saban or Alabama if they left early.
So winning isn't important. Got it.

The measurables mean nothing for Hamler. His 40 time means nothing (unless he only runs in the 4.4s or worse). His draft stock impact comes in the drills.
OK, I gotta honk the BS horn on THAT one. If he runs a low 4.3 forty, it will be HIGHLY meaningful for his draft position.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Don’t you proof read your posts?:
You have never of someones hands being referred to as all thumbs?
giphy.webp

OK, I gotta honk the BS horn on THAT one. If he runs a low 4.3 forty, it will be HIGHLY meaningful for his draft position.

Why? His draft stock now is on the assumption that he will run a 4.3. His stock doesn't get better if he runs exactly how people expect him to run

Why? His draft stock now is on the assumption that he will run a 4.3. His stock doesn't get better if he runs exactly how people expect him to run

It's a confirmation that he really is that fast. College programs are just like high schools when it comes to listing "official" measurements. There are numerous examples every year of players "shrinking", getting "fatter", getting slower, getting weaker.... when they get officially measured and tested at Indy.

KJ running a 4.3 is not going to "blow away" NFL scouts in the sense that they will be shocked by his speed, (the way they were shocked when Troy Apke cranked out his '40"), but it will confirm or solidify their grading of him. NFL teams know he is a smaller WR. If an NFL team has him on their draft board (some will not because they do not like his size), they will need that 40-time to validate their grade on him.

Measurement day for WRs and not great results for KJ. But nothing you can do about your height, your arm length, your hand size or your wing-span.

But that being said, KJ measured under 5'9" (5'8" and change), measured small hands, short arms and a very short wing-span (abut 72"). Buy comparison, another "small" WR in this class, the guy from ASU had almost an 80" wing-span.

Don't think it hurts KJ too much. Teams knew he was "small". I believe teams either already liked him, regardless of his size, and had him on their boards. Or, did not like his size and did not have him on their boards. The teams who had KJ on their boards, probably still do, despite today's measurements.

IMO, his stock all comes down to the speed drills. He needs to rip off a totally ridiculous 40 time. If he can crank out a low 4.3, then all of a sudden those small hands, short arms and short wing-span become meaningless to teams. On the flip, if he has just "normal fast speed", like say something in the 4.4 range, then those measurements will be over-analyzed.
Every team has KJ on their draft board

His draft stock now is on the assumption that he will run a 4.3.

Who says that other than people on this board?

It's a confirmation that he really is that fast. College programs are just like high schools when it comes to listing "official" measurements. There are numerous examples every year of players "shrinking", getting "fatter", getting slower, getting weaker.... when they get officially measured and tested at Indy.

KJ running a 4.3 is not going to "blow away" NFL scouts in the sense that they will be shocked by his speed, (the way they were shocked when Troy Apke cranked out his '40"), but it will confirm or solidify their grading of him. NFL teams know he is a smaller WR. If an NFL team has him on their draft board (some will not because they do not like his size), they will need that 40-time to validate their grade on him.

Valid their grade, yes. But Hamler isn't moving up anyone's board because he runs a 4.3.

Middle-aged white folk don't like people messing with their Fall Saturday afternoon entertainment.

"Middle-aged Black, Asian, and Hispanic folk don't" either. Did I leave anyone out?

I don't think the kid's race has anything to do with this. If the kid was a Martian, most of us would still be sorry to see him leave.

Every team has KJ on their draft board

Technically, yes they do. To be clear... "Each team has KJ at different spots on their draft boards. Some teams will not be concerned about his size and might have a 2nd round grade on him, other teams will be concerned about his size and might have him down on their boards in 4th or 5th rounds".....

Yes. Technically you are right all 32 teams have pretty much every player on their boards. But draft grades will vary greatly.

Heck, some teams will not even have Tua T. on their board with a 1st round grade because of his 6' height and his injury history........ other teams have Tua as a top 5 selection and have no concerns with his injury history.

Those teams who have KJ down on their boards because they have concerns with his size, will most likely keep him down on their boards unless he just has an eye-popping 40. I go back to Apke. "All" teams had Apke on their boards, but I'd bet that no team had a grade on him higher than a 5th or 6th round grade... then Apke posted a blistering 40-time and he sky-rocketed up some boards.

Reactions: sluggo72
Valid their grade, yes. But Hamler isn't moving up anyone's board because he runs a 4.3.

Yes. I'd agree. That was my point. I believe the "book" on KJ is that he is 4.3 type fast, and that the 40 he runs at Indy will simply validate that speed. Every year we see guys "slide" at Indy. Maybe they are not as tall as teams thought, maybe their arms are too short, maybe they are not as fast ..... Seems like every year I watch the combine and there is at least one college OT who tests/measures at Indy and based on his tests at Indy they decide that he is not an NFL OT but would have to slide inside to G because of something like he measures at barely over 6'4" with 32" arms and is not 6'5" with 34" arms.... Or a college CB who was listed as having 4.4 speed runs a 4.6 at Indy, and NFL teams decide he'd have to play S at the NFL level instead of CB.............. This is what the combine is all about.

Yes. I'd agree. That was my point. I believe the "book" on KJ is that he is 4.3 type fast, and that the 40 he runs at Indy will simply validate that speed. Every year we see guys "slide" at Indy. Maybe they are not as tall as teams thought, maybe their arms are too short, maybe they are not as fast ..... Seems like every year I watch the combine and there is at least one college OT who tests/measures at Indy and based on his tests at Indy they decide that he is not an NFL OT but would have to slide inside to G because of something like he measures at barely over 6'4" with 32" arms and is not 6'5" with 34" arms.... Or a college CB who was listed as having 4.4 speed runs a 4.6 at Indy, and NFL teams decide he'd have to play S at the NFL level instead of CB.............. This is what the combine is all about.
Is there a typo in your board handle?

Coming out early was a mistake but I'm not surprised because this board continues to endorse every tom dick and Harry to leave early. Nick Saban says unless you are a 1st round lock you stay.... It would be nice if Franklin saw it the same way.
Wrong. The only reason it was a mistake is because how deep the WR draft class is, perhaps the deepest ever. He wasnt going to get much better sticking around and concussions and injuries (tore acl sr year in HS) played a major factor in his decision. But sure why not stick around and risk another concussion or torn knee before getting paid millions. Because maybe this is the year we beat OSU.

"Middle-aged Black, Asian, and Hispanic folk don't" either. Did I leave anyone out?

I don't think the kid's race has anything to do with this. If the kid was a Martian, most of us would still be sorry to see him leave.

Yeah but, middle-aged white fold seem to think they know what's best for everyone and anyone, whether they know them or not.

Yeah but, middle-aged white fold seem to think they know what's best for everyone and anyone, whether they know them or not.
Here's some shocking news for ya....I'll whisper it to ease the shock......there are poor white kids that play football too..........I know, I know, yer head is spinning on that one.....take a few breathes...calm down.....I'll wait a few seconds for you to recover.......

........Ok, alright now?

Even if a white kid leaves early for the pros, whether for money to help his family or because of the injury risk, or for any other reason, a lot of people will say he shoulda stayed another year Gasp!!!

Now go suck on some cognac and smoke a cigar. It will help stabilize your metabolism.

Reactions: Fac and jbenedict
It wasn't me that made it a racial issue.

Here's some shocking news for ya....I'll whisper it to ease the shock......there are poor white kids that play football too..........I know, I know, yer head is spinning on that one.....take a few breathes...calm down.....I'll wait a few seconds for you to recover.......

........Ok, alright now?

Even if a white kid leaves early for the pros, whether for money to help his family or because of the injury risk, or for any other reason, a lot of people will say he shoulda stayed another year Gasp!!!

Now go suck on some cognac and smoke a cigar. It will help stabilize your metabolism.

Yeah, you did. I could have used the same exact words if it were a white player leaving. Alternatively, I could have substituted "the average Penn State fan" for "middle-aged white folk." But I didn't, primarily to raise some dander, and it worked. LMFAO.

I love these threads because when I start to think I am a miserable SOB I read what some of these people post and feel about 1000% times better about myself knowing where the bar now is for miserable SOB's and know I am nowhere near it yet.

Everyone posting in this thread raise your hand if you don’t want to be an instant millionaire. Even in the fourth round the signing bonus is no less than $480k with a $3MM contract value. In KJ’s case he’s more likely to see a signing bonus in the range of $750k to $3MM and a first contract up to $8MM. I say God bless the kid! I will miss seeing and talking with him weekly, but will always love catching up. I for one wish him and his family nothing but the best!

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/

Reactions: BBrown
Yeah, you did. I could have used the same exact words if it were a white player leaving. Alternatively, I could have substituted "the average Penn State fan" for "middle-aged white folk." But I didn't, primarily to raise some dander, and it worked. LMFAO.

Sorry man. This thread was color blind, as are most sports related threads, before you started your race baiting.

No one else on this board was racially profiling any individual or fan base till you showed up.

Sorry man. This thread was color blind, as are most sports related threads, before you started your race baiting.

No one else on this board was racially profiling any individual or fan base till you showed up.

So if I describe someone as "white" who is white, then I'm "racially profiling" that person? Mkay. Hate to think what is going to happen to me when I describe someone as "short."

Wrong. The only reason it was a mistake is because how deep the WR draft class is, perhaps the deepest ever. He wasnt going to get much better sticking around and concussions and injuries (tore acl sr year in HS) played a major factor in his decision. But sure why not stick around and risk another concussion or torn knee before getting paid millions. Because maybe this is the year we beat OSU.
Why not stick around and win a national championship. Remember what those are? Probably not because PSU has not won one in 35 years.

OOhhhh, now I get it. It was just a simple little racial joke. Just a little race baiting to 'get people's dander up'. Nuttin like race baiting on a sports board. Guessin I ain't smart enuff to understand race baiting......

(and you admittedly introduced race but yet you still blame me somehow.....Umma still workin on dat one.)

I am so sorry. From now on, whenever I see a post of yours, I'll just write it off as more race baiting just to piss people off.

OOhhhh, now I get it. It was just a simple little racial joke. Just a little race baiting to 'get people's dander up'. Nuttin like race baiting on a sports board. Guessin I ain't smart enuff to understand race baiting......

(and you admittedly introduced race but yet you still blame me somehow.....Umma still workin on dat one.)

I am so sorry. From now on, whenever I see a post of yours, I'll just write it off as more race baiting just to piss people off.

Don't know about the race part of it, but you took the bait hook, line, and sinker. Gonna' be tough extricating that from your craw.

Remark wasn't made to piss everyone off. I suspect some saw some humor in it. But if it pissed you off, that alone I would consider a success. Now gulp on that bait a little more, Fish.

Don't know about the race part of it, but you took the bait hook, line, and sinker. Gonna' be tough extricating that from your craw.

Remark wasn't made to piss everyone off. I suspect some saw some humor in it. But if it pissed you off, that alone I would consider a success. Now gulp on that bait a little more, Fish.
Fine. Wear your race baiting humor proudly. And I will proudly stand up against race baiting.

Reactions: Dunkindonuts
ADVERTISEMENT