ADVERTISEMENT

Not a great day for KJ Hamler at Indy...

No, follow the discussion.....he has more than a “once in a lifetime” chance.....he could have gone this year or next year. LionJim needs to confirm, but that’s more then once! :)
He'll have to factor in probably of injury/seriousness of injury at Penn State vs. next years draft placement as well. :)

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Measurement day for WRs and not great results for KJ. But nothing you can do about your height, your arm length, your hand size or your wing-span.

But that being said, KJ measured under 5'9" (5'8" and change), measured small hands, short arms and a very short wing-span (abut 72"). Buy comparison, another "small" WR in this class, the guy from ASU had almost an 80" wing-span.

Don't think it hurts KJ too much. Teams knew he was "small". I believe teams either already liked him, regardless of his size, and had him on their boards. Or, did not like his size and did not have him on their boards. The teams who had KJ on their boards, probably still do, despite today's measurements.

IMO, his stock all comes down to the speed drills. He needs to rip off a totally ridiculous 40 time. If he can crank out a low 4.3, then all of a sudden those small hands, short arms and short wing-span become meaningless to teams. On the flip, if he has just "normal fast speed", like say something in the 4.4 range, then those measurements will be over-analyzed.

Kudos....you get the prize for the stupidest subject line of the year.

Reactions: NorthShoreLion
Probably not first round based on the amount of good wrs in the draft but somebody in the second round will be looking for exactly what he provides. Hopefully that means it’ll be a perfect fit for him.

I think his floor is Jordan Norwood, who played eight seasons. Hamler is more dynamic and could be effective in the right offense. Wish him all the best.

That’s what it sounds like. KJ gave everything he had to Penn State. Great kid off the field too. Playing football is high risk. He has a chance to get paid for it rather well as long as he can be productive. One less year in the NFL is a large amount of money to pass up. He’s healthy now. He’ll test well and get paid. Serious injury next year with PSU and maybe he can’t do anything at the combine. Draft stock drops. Few hundred grand, maybe more gone. Hope he runs 4.2 and he gets drafted in the first round. Another great representative of Penn State.

That he fielded punts in the bowl game (opr am I mis-remembering) was pretty crazy (easy way to get injured). All props to the kid for all he for penn state -- he made a lot of gamers really enjoyable to watch!

Reactions: psugisher
Yes. But I don't think a player can base their decision on whether or not their draft class is deep, because you never know who is going to emerge the next year. What if a handful of Soph/JR WRs emerge and have awesome 2020 seasons.... then next year becomes a deep draft.

Back in August Joe Burrow was considered a "game manager". He was definitely not projected to be a 1st round draft pick, let alone the #1 overall. Then Burrow had a great 2019 season.

You gotta do what is best for you at the moment.... if KJ felt turning pro now was best for him... then good for him and more power to him.
Joe Burrow certainly hurt himself by coming back, didn’t he. I mean it’s not like he got bigger, so why would you go back??

tic

FWIW: Norwood's career was 42 games (whether that was over 8 years or not, IDK.... but if it was, most of it was as a "practice squad" type guy)

Still, collected an NFL paycheck. And he had about 80 catches. Not spectacular, but again, that's the floor IMO. Engram might be the ceiling.

Once again, I'm stunned by the clout we have. Players turn pro early because we endorse it.LOL

Reactions: LionJim
That he fielded punts in the bowl game (opr am I mis-remembering) was pretty crazy (easy way to get injured). All props to the kid for all he for penn state -- he made a lot of gamers really enjoyable to watch!
Pretty sure Norwood holds the longest punt return in Super Bowl History or did when the Broncos won it a couple of years ago. Hopefully the NFL GM's see Hamler as a Tyreek Hill type and he is picked in the 1st or 2nd round he did the right thing coming out early.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Hamler needs more
f2wxA1A.jpg

So why do they measure guys in Indy??? If they can simply size a guy by watching TV........ why waste time with scales and measuring devices in Indy :):):):):):):):):):):)

Reminds me of the time the Cowboys asked Aikman for input on potential WRs. He said yes, but that he wasn’t a player personnel expert. Then said he felt that if a prospect played well in a major conference, he could probably play in the NFL. Sounds like that describes KJ perfectly.

Combine season just makes me shake my head. Throw on Hamlers tape and enough said. Who cares about his wingspan, hand size etc. the kid is a player and, at worst,he’ll run in the 4.3s... no way he makes it past round 2. There are guys on the list that have impressive measurable but can’t get open and can’t catch.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
So mr thread boss, your argument is the GMs don’t consider combine measurables? Got it.
Okay Mike Mamula.

I echo Art - a lot of selfish people who only started to criticize KJs skills once he said he was leaving.

Kid was awesome for us. Risked a concussion to ice that UM game.

****ing hand size - give me a break. Yes, certain measurables are important, but a lot of this is wankery

Combine season just makes me shake my head. Throw on Hamlers tape and enough said. Who cares about his wingspan, hand size etc. the kid is a player and, at worst,he’ll run in the 4.3s... no way he makes it past round 2. There are guys on the list that have impressive measurable but can’t get open and can’t catch.
It ends up making $$$$ for bums like Mike Mamula who look good in gym shorts

It ends up making $$$$ for bums like Mike Mamula who look good in gym shorts

He did more than look good.

Who do you think averaged more sacks a season in the NFL, mamula or Brandon graham?

Last edited:
He did not than look good.

Who do you think averaged more sacks a season in the NFL, mamula or Brandon graham?
First I didn’t say that. I never thought MM a bum. I don’t know how that quote was attributable to me

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT