ADVERTISEMENT

Not a good start to the weekend for the NHL

The league needed a NY-Chicago final and won't get it. I enjoyed this game tonight watching the blue shirts go down.
Just another sport with a season that is too long. Hockey will end in June. It should be over in April.

End in April? If the Pens were in it you wouldn't have a problem with the length of the season.

It will never happen, and you know it. Early 60's?? The NBCSN guys almost were ready to cry knowing they can't have their dream match-up.

It will never happen, and you know it. Early 60's?? The NBCSN guys almost were ready to cry knowing they can't have their dream match-up.

Funny
Funnier yet when they end up with TB -Anaheim

I know I'm an old school sports fan but it just irks me that the TV folks want certain match ups for $$$$$

It's crazy and baseball is the absolute worst model with no cap and no parity

Pretty much all pro sports turn my stomach now
College is king but that is slowly eroding also

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Amazingly inept performance by the Rangers.Series is 2-2 and you get shutout at home in Games 5 and 7! WTF?? They score 17 in 3 games in TB. Bizarre.

Tampa Bay is one of the most talented Teams in the league. The NHL is very lucky that this Team ended up in the Stanley Cup finals. Just because you folks don't follow the Lightning doesn't mean you need to put us down. Just watch the Finals and you all will see a brand of hockey that you are not used to seeing. This Team is very, very skilled with incredible young guns in Stamkos, Killorn, Johnson, Palat, and Kucherov. They can score against anyone and our defense is not bad either.

The Finals will be one heck of a series, hoping the Blackhawks make it in so that we can beat four of the original six on our way to the Cup.

Go Lightning!

I absolutely would. I've thought it's been too long for years. In the early 60's it ended in April. Baseball too. It should be 154 games and start in mid April.

There has been some talk of that recently. I'd also just like to see them play a few more scheduled doubleheaders like they used to do back in the day. One of my favorite memories from my youth was a "tripleheader" around Memorial Day 1976--the "Team America"-England Bicentennial Cup soccer match at JFK in the morning followed by a Phils-Cubs double header in the afternoon, with Karl Wallenda walking across the stadium between games. Phils-Cubs games in those days were fun because you were certain to see some HRs given the lineups in those days (and the state of Cubs pitching).

Reactions: fairgambit
MLB, NBA, NHL should cut their regular seasons in half. Plus way too many teams make the "playoffs", especially the NBA and the NHL.

NFL should "double" the length of their season !!!

MLB, NBA, NHL should cut their regular seasons in half. Plus way too many teams make the "playoffs", especially the NBA and the NHL.

16 teams make the playoffs in the NHL/NBA. That's where teams make their money. The NFL has 12 playoff teams and is going to add 2 very shortly.

The league needed a NY-Chicago final and won't get it. I enjoyed this game tonight watching the blue shirts go down.

Why did the league "need a NY-Chicago final"? They've already been paid the TV money and aren't up for renewal of rights for another 10 years.

Make no mistake - the entertainment value of the final just increased exponentially by NOT having the Rangers in it. Tampa is young, very talented (led the league in goal scoring) and they play an exciting brand of hockey.

Tampa vs Anaheim? I wouldn't watch a second and yes the season should be over with already!

There has been some talk of that recently. I'd also just like to see them play a few more scheduled doubleheaders like they used to do back in the day. One of my favorite memories from my youth was a "tripleheader" around Memorial Day 1976--the "Team America"-England Bicentennial Cup soccer match at JFK in the morning followed by a Phils-Cubs double header in the afternoon, with Karl Wallenda walking across the stadium between games. Phils-Cubs games in those days were fun because you were certain to see some HRs given the lineups in those days (and the state of Cubs pitching).
Absolutely agree. If you're a baseball fan, 18 innings in one day is pure heaven.

Why did the league "need a NY-Chicago final"? They've already been paid the TV money and aren't up for renewal of rights for another 10 years.

Make no mistake - the entertainment value of the final just increased exponentially by NOT having the Rangers in it. Tampa is young, very talented (led the league in goal scoring) and they play an exciting brand of hockey.

Just WOW!! Related to Baghdad Bob or just a member of the TB chamber of commerce?
Good players, yes. Entertainment value over NY? Exciting brand, putting 4 guys in front of a goaltender who gives up 5+ goals if they don't?

Last edited:
Tampa vs Anaheim? I wouldn't watch a second and yes the season should be over with already!
You would not watch a second? Are you a hockey fan or just one of those fans of the Flyers or Penguins? Have you ever watched Tampa Bay other than when they kick Philly's ass?

Just WOW!! Related to Baghdad Bob or just a member of the TB chamber of commerce?
Good players, yes. Entertainment value over NY? Exciting brand, putting 4 guys in front of a goaltender who gives up 5+ goals if they don't?
Bishop shut out the Rangers in games 5 and 7. Also shut out Detroit in game 7. Bishop when he is rested is good enough. This is his first playoff run... do you understand what that means? Bishop is the first goalie to ever get two shut outs in a Game 7 in the same season. Blue blood you have no damned clue...

The Flyers won their first Stanley Cup on May 19, 1974. Monday will be JUNE 1, and the finals have not begun. Both the NBA and NHL are beyond ridiculous. The NFL and MLB are getting there too.

....and I was in the Spectrum that glorious May afternoon. To this day it's still the best live event I ever witnessed.

I'm glad the Rangers lost and I'll watch the Finals regardless. Rooting for the Ducks tonight.

Every team in post season will collapse the middle in their own zone like such.

If TB was wearing an Original Six sweater they'd be a dream team to have in Finals. Playing against the Pens and Caps when the Rangers were the king of the 2-1 game they were about as exciting as watching paint dry.

I'm a long, long time hockey fan, and the game today is considerably less interesting to me than it once was. The NHL apparently doesn't care that much, since they let the refs call whatever type of game they want, and that is apparently a grinding/mucking/hacking sort of game that allows the league's big but lesser-skilled Canadian players to still have a role. If the refs called the game according to the true rules, those Canadian good-old-boys would be replaced by skilled Europeans that can actually skate, and nobody wants that, apparently.

Reactions: es19
I'm a long, long time hockey fan, and the game today is considerably less interesting to me than it once was. The NHL apparently doesn't care that much, since they let the refs call whatever type of game they want, and that is apparently a grinding/mucking/hacking sort of game that allows the league's big but lesser-skilled Canadian players to still have a role. If the refs called the game according to the true rules, those Canadian good-old-boys would be replaced by skilled Europeans that can actually skate, and nobody wants that, apparently.

I agree that the game needs to be officiated differently to allow the skill players to shine,but if the Canadian players are so unskilled, why does Canada continue to win the Olympics and World Championships when played by international rules?

Reactions: EPC FAN
I agree that the game needs to be officiated differently to allow the skill players to shine,but if the Canadian players are so unskilled, why does Canada continue to win the Olympics and World Championships when played by international rules?

Biggest pool of players to choose from to assemble one team. They leave more good players at home than any other Country. USA and then Russia are usually in the mix too, for the same reason.

The season really does go on too long - regardless of who is playing. It's just a matter of time before the NHL Playoffs last so long that the teams not in the Stanley Cup Finals will start their next season before the Finals are completed.

Baseball should be around 144, NHL and NBA about 70 games. First round of playoffs should be best of 5. NFL season should stay the same regular season and cut the pre-season 2 games. Open up the rosters a bit too.
As much as I love going to games, college football season is too long as well. Cut a regular season game and give an extra bye week. These are kids in college, make them go to class. Same with college basketball and baseball. Basketball teams playing 40 games and baseball 60 is crazy.

It's never go to be done in April. A matter of fact, it's only ever going to get longer and longer. It's a business, and every month there are no games means that owners are not making money. They are going to try to make as much money as they can, which means they need to have games.

Just look at the NFL. The owners want MORE games. Their season is already brutal, but they don't care. They want more games and they want to open up more markets (internationally) and they aren't going to stop until they've milked every last penny they can from fans. A few billion dollars isn't enough for the owners of these teams.

Because Canada does have enough of the skilled player types, for a one team tournament like the WC's. The guys that are protected by this officiating style are the guys who aren't anywhere near good enough to play on a world stage, but are considered valuable team assets in the playoffs if they are allowed to hook/hold/hack and are big bodies. Think Doug Murray, Mike Rathje, even an older Chris Pronger. Those big strong guys that can actually skate are in reality a true rarity, like a Young Chris Pronger or Chara.

ADVERTISEMENT