ADVERTISEMENT

Nolf vs Oliver? Something happening June 28th

Just going to point out that Flo's twitter account was basically silent this entire event. Flo's all about what's best for the sport so long as they're getting theirs.
I listen to FRL most of the time, I find Ben Askren very interesting to listen to. He is funny and adds a lot to their show. Really used to love listening to Willie cause he was hilarious. Anyway it really bothered me that they are a wrestling podcast yet in the last few episodes not a mention of this event what so ever. Like there are a bunch of high level wrestlers and you have a Nolf vs JO main event and not a whisper from what I remember. Just sad.

Peeking at the personal accounts, only Bader and Spey had anything to say at all, though little. Nothing from Nomad, Pyles, Bratke, Askren.
Yeah, i deleted that bit when it made some sense that the main account was silent, but yeah. Got all the underlings in line - wonder if Spey won’t get the free company taco lunch this week

Just going to point out that Flo's twitter account was basically silent this entire event. Flo's all about what's best for the sport so long as they're getting theirs.
I agree. That is disappointing. They do the same thing during some international bouts... won't report anything unless they're covering it. If they want to be the hub they need to at least provide the info - regardless if they have the broadcast rights or not!

Saw they just tried to pull outta sponsoring UCLA or whatever. Weird.
Here's the UCLA story:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/06/under-armour-ucla-apparel-deal-terms-end-explain

Not mentioned in that article, but UA certainly has to be concerned about the UCLA football mutiny. The players don't trust the school to run its Covid protocols, and have alleged neglect and mismanagement of injuries. Many players are prepared to walk if the school doesn't hire a 3rd party administrator.

None of this should surprise anyone who remembers the UCLA head coach's stint in Philadelphia.

Here's the UCLA story:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/06/under-armour-ucla-apparel-deal-terms-end-explain

Not mentioned in that article, but UA certainly has to be concerned about the UCLA football mutiny. The players don't trust the school to run its Covid protocols, and have alleged neglect and mismanagement of injuries. Many players are prepared to walk if the school doesn't hire a 3rd party administrator.

None of this should surprise anyone who remembers the UCLA head coach's stint in Philadelphia.

I’m sure there is more than one person to blame in this UCLA situation, but I’ll focus on Chip. Not surprised that this coach is doing more harm than good at a college program. Still bitter about what he did to the Eagles (and Niners, I believe). Thank goodness the Birds were able to bounce back relatively quickly after his regime. Sorry for the rant but obviously not a chip kelly fan.

Reactions: Ja1339
I said the same thing to me wife. If you were the premier media outlet for this sport you would imagine at least a whisper of this event to give fans their fix.

If pushing off someone's shoulders as he closed the gap was worth a point, Oliver would have Tech Falled Jason.

Hopefully in the rematch Oliver will move forward.

I must say, Jason still has that brutal head snap.
If you recall the first period, there was a head snap from Nolf that threw Oliver sideways fairly far. I'm not defending Oliver, but I'm not sure he wanted much to do with him after feeling that.

Also, most people (myself included) picked Oliver to win on the pre-match chatroom. Many picked a quick TF for Oliver. IAChief from HR said too many guys were sleeping on Nolf.
I picked Oliver to win by criteria... glad to be wrong.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Usually I'm a Flo apologizer, but I agree that it was very lame they made no mention. I enjoyed the various media members pointing it out too on Twitter -- there was a genuine support from everyone except Flo.

Glad IL could represent well, tonight! Would have loved to have been there!

Mia is a beast, she wrestles in the 2nd largest class and won her regional this year before having to forego moving on due to injury (she was the first girl to ever win a match at state in 2018).

Bummer that Nolf / JO was a snooze, but as others have mentioned JO can be like that against the top tier guys. Love Nolf's honesty that it stunk.

Here's speculation: perhaps guys at FLO have something in their contracts or an explicit (or tacit) legal agreement that they can't promote (or mention) certain wrestling performances put on by competitors prior to the event. If they talk about it later on FRL, that might be permissible. Just a guess, however.

Reactions: CropDuster507
Here's speculation: perhaps guys at FLO have something in their contracts or an explicit (or tacit) legal agreement that they can't promote (or mention) certain wrestling performances put on by competitors prior to the event. If they talk about it later on FRL, that might be permissible. Just a guess, however.
If true, then we can look forward to Flo staff silence during Big Ten matches this year.

I don't believe that either.

Reactions: backdrft76
I'm impressed with Jason's performance. Not long ago he would have pressed harder to score points and played into JO's hand. That match showed he's maturing in the freestyle game. Sometimes you just have to take what they give you and get the W. It takes matches like that to make a world team.

I'm impressed with Jason's performance. Not long ago he would have pressed harder to score points and played into JO's hand. That match showed he's maturing in the freestyle game. Sometimes you just have to take what they give you and get the W. It takes matches like that to make a world team.
Good point. Even though JO only had one shot the entire match, I thought he was waiting for the opening and that never came.

I was kind of shocked alot of people were taking JO in this match. Nolf showed us he's capable of managing a match while being extremely active and getting the W over a very game competitor. If he can keep that knee healthy, he's gonna be a real problem at 74KG...IMO

Last edited:
I'm with you Jarod!
61Fmz-YwiuL._AC_UL1024_.jpg

Still a good bout for Jason. Same with the college guys over the years when facing a defensive wrestler ... Cael, Casey, Cody, and Jake will tell Jason "you gotta find a way". Then those four will help the wrestler tweak his offense to get through the hand-fighting, pushing, and whatever else JO was doing to slow Jason down.

Regarding the PD3/Taylor thing, there's really no reason to go to David's rescue. The best response to the tweet will happen on a mat.

Reactions: Ja1339
I was kind of shocked alot of people were taking JO in this match. Nolf showed us he's capable of managing a match while being extremely active and getting the W over a very game competitor. If he can keep that knee healthy, he's gonna be a real problem at 74KG...IMO
District 11 bias

Reactions: Truth_Talk
Yes, but you have to express such shock BEFORE Nolf wins, not after!

I know because I had trouble getting credit afterward for being shocked that most people were choosing the King to beat Rulon Gardner. ;)

Thanks for sharing. Even a match as boring as that was worth watching with our near complete lack of sports the past 3-4 months. What the Hell was JO doing?
i'd say, doing a scouting job up close and personal. the match meant nothing. let's not forget the guy's a pretty crafty old geezer;). my guess is he'll have a better game plan next time they meet, as will jason. can't wait for the next one.

Reactions: nitlion6
Earl Smith took Flo to the woodshed for it -- Flo being the subject of his "failure in leadership" thesis.

My favorite part:
“Be secure enough in yourself and your product to say, “There are some great matches going on this weekend, I can’t wait to watch JO/Nolf.” You don’t even need to tell fans how to view it or when, but at least mention it, especially since we haven’t seen live wrestling in over 100 days. Your fanbase doesn’t see it as being shrewd business-people; they see it as being petty and insecure.”

This type of “don’t report it and no one will know” stance may have made sense when you had 4 TV stations and relied on print media, but it’s just juvenile now.

Earl Smith took Flo to the woodshed for it -- Flo being the subject of his "failure in leadership" thesis.

Great piece, and hits all the right notes. "Petty and insecure" is dead on. I'd add shortsighted, to the extent is fosters bad will.

Clearly it's an editorial mandate from above at Flo, because this isn't the first time, and you can see it even what topics are editorial priorities, and which aren't, on FRL. I often take issue with some of their takes but I don't doubt that the Flo personalities all love wrestling and would have naturally at least discussed it on Twitter. So the silence really stuck out because there's literally nothing else going on.. until their event, which they'll pretend is the first wrestling event since the conference tournaments and Olympic qualifier.

ADVERTISEMENT