ADVERTISEMENT

Nolf in Russia

Rhino80

Dec 31, 2016

Didnt see it mentioned here. Typical of most of Nolf's freestyle matches. Puts himself in some bad positions but that guy didnt have much for him. Kyle's guy backed out so he didnt wrestle.

I don't know who he wrestled but I miss seeing Jason Nolf wrestle! He still is as dominant as ever. I hope he beats the crap out of Kyle Dake in 2 and a half years for an Olympic Spot.
Tsabolov was 2014 world champ, 2017 world silver, 2018 Yarygin champ, and 2020 Russian Nationals silver.

Perhaps he's not quite what he once was -- maybe why he transferred to Serbia this year (and he DNQ for the Olympics) -- but that's still a high quality opponent to beat that convincingly.

Tsabolov was 2014 world champ, 2017 world silver, 2018 Yarygin champ, and 2020 Russian Nationals silver.

Perhaps he's not quite what he once was -- maybe why he transferred to Serbia this year (and he DNQ for the Olympics) -- but that's still a high quality opponent to beat that convincingly.
He’s also the last person to beat Sidakov, reigning Olympic & 2x world 74kg champion.

Reactions: diggerpup
To Dunk and all others who post clips of matches such as above, thank you very much.

It adds so much to the thread and helps guys like me follow things where I would have no clue where to search and find such matches.

I rarely watch live action on Flo. I pay for it only to watch clips that you guys post on the forum that might be behind their pay wall.

Thank you again for your posts and corresponding clips.

Now where can I go to understand the commentators on that clip?

His opponent looked very gassed very early. Interesting to watch a world champion acting like I did in junior high when I was gassed: untie and tie my shoe, pull up my socks, take my time getting back to center, etc.

Enjoyed watching Nolf beat Tsabolov. Nolf is so offensive-minded that sometimes it can be to his detriment with elite freestyle wrestlers who know how to turn defense into points.

To his credit, Taylor (another guy with offense in his DNA) has learned to be more selective and strategic with his shots after wearing his opponents down a bit.

Wrestling international guys more regularly should definitely help Nolf improve his game. He will need to be more competitive with Dake in future matches if he eventually wants to own the 74KG weight domestically.

I know you were really down on Nolfs progress in freestyle. Has this result changed your mind any or not so much?
if it was the tsabolov of 5 years ago, absolutely! an all star event win over a past his prime tsabolov doesn't totally change my perspective, but it's still a good result and i'm happy he won. i don't think this makes him any more likely to make a team any time soon. he might benefit from attrition at 74 domestically though, so who knows?

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Enjoyed watching Nolf beat Tsabolov. Nolf is so offensive-minded that sometimes it can be to his detriment with elite freestyle wrestlers who know how to turn defense into points.

To his credit, Taylor (another guy with offense in his DNA) has learned to be more selective and strategic with his shots after wearing his opponents down a bit.

Wrestling international guys more regularly should definitely help Nolf improve his game. He will need to be more competitive with Dake in future matches if he eventually wants to own the 74KG weight domestically.
is Dake younger than Jason yet?

Every time a white politician stumps in a black church.
15360-zlt8pe.gif

His opponent looked very gassed very early. Interesting to watch a world champion acting like I did in junior high when I was gassed: untie and tie my shoe, pull up my socks, take my time getting back to center, etc.
I had a college teammate who could untie his shoes from any spot on the mat. He was a NJ state champ, but he acted like matches were mostly for resting. He claimed if he looked tired, his opponent would be surprised when he started to move again.

Reactions: LHavenlion
I had a college teammate who could untie his shoes from any spot on the mat. He was a NJ state champ, but he acted like matches were mostly for resting. He claimed if he looked tired, his opponent would be surprised when he started to move again.
Ha! Head games. I would sometimes reach out with my left hand (rather than the right) to shake hands with my opponent before a match just to mess with them a bit. Or I would give them a really weak handshake so that they would under-estimate me or over-estimate their own level of competence. I always thought the kind of stuff that wrestler's like Tony Ramos did (the intense stare down) were signs of weakness or empty bravado rather than strength.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Ha! Head games. I would sometimes reach out with my left hand (rather than the right) to shake hands with my opponent before a match just to mess with them a bit. Or I would give them a really weak handshake so that they would under-estimate me or over-estimate their own level of competence. I always thought the kind of stuff that wrestler's like Tony Ramos did (the intense stare down) were signs of weakness or empty bravado rather than strength.

Fairly certain I remember an IL state champ (and later, NCAA finalist) yelling "I love you, ma!" and blowing a kiss into the crowd before he wrecked our guy one year at a dual.

More Dagestan footage. It just gets better (Snyder speaks at end)

Gotta hand it to the kid trying to address Snyder in English at 10:00 -- foreign language with no written notes and nervous as hell. But he got thru it.

Those guys are far braver than me, arriving in a Russian civilian helicopter far from any of the country's wealthier areas. (To be more specific, as I have worked in that industry: the Russians have fantastic helicopter engineers, and maintenance and safety are a distant second even with their military fleet.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT