ADVERTISEMENT

"No reason to have a Michigan-esque punt fiasco"

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
I am so glad I taped that Wisky-PSU BIG champs game if just to see the dazed and confused looks on the wisky faces and that gem of a quote from the announcer...

Having watched Meatwagon botch the punt and lose to MSU earlier in the season.. to hear it mentioned in this game was so satisfying...

and everyone did their part (inclduing SB taking a loss of yardage but staying in bounds to keep the clock running), TM took the turf, we won... and all was right with the world.

Whenever life is slugging me a little harder than I'd prefer, I dial this game up and remember we were down 28-7 and everyone was singing "turn out the lights, the party's over"... except the kids in blue and white.

Just a great, great win!

Indeed, this never gets old.

It also reminds me that when Penn State scored on the last play of the game against Iowa, they then had to snap for the extra point....and I could never understand why. I thought I had always seen games end like this Mich/MSU game....that is, if someone wins on the final play of the game, they are not required to line up and play out the extra point..........does anyone know the rules well enough to explain why the difference?

Back to watching this again......it's kind of like watching the Three Stooges over-and-over again.....still funny!

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Indeed, this never gets old.

It also reminds me that when Penn State scored on the last play of the game against Iowa, they then had to snap for the extra point....and I could never understand why. I thought I had always seen games end like this Mich/MSU game....that is, if someone wins on the final play of the game, they are not required to line up and play out the extra point..........does anyone know the rules well enough to explain why the difference?

Back to watching this again......it's kind of like watching the Three Stooges over-and-over again.....still funny!

believe it has to do with whether it matters or not. in our game, a 2 point conversion the other way (int or fumble) and it's tied. In the um fiasco, no way to make up 4 points.

believe it has to do with whether it matters or not. in our game, a 2 point conversion the other way (int or fumble) and it's tied. In the um fiasco, no way to make up 4 points.

That is correct.

Rule 8.3.2.a

Opportunity to Score

ARTICLE 2. A try is an opportunity for either team to score one or two points while the game clock is stopped after a touchdown. It is a special interval in the game which, for purposes of penalty enforcement only, includes both a down and the “ready’’ period that precedes it.
a. The ball shall be put in play by the team that scored a six-point touchdown. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in the fourth period expires, the try shall not be attempted unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.

I am so glad I taped that Wisky-PSU BIG champs game if just to see the dazed and confused looks on the wisky faces and that gem of a quote from the announcer...

Having watched Meatwagon botch the punt and lose to MSU earlier in the season.. to hear it mentioned in this game was so satisfying...

and everyone did their part (inclduing SB taking a loss of yardage but staying in bounds to keep the clock running), TM took the turf, we won... and all was right with the world.

Whenever life is slugging me a little harder than I'd prefer, I dial this game up and remember we were down 28-7 and everyone was singing "turn out the lights, the party's over"... except the kids in blue and white.

Just a great, great win!

Well said. A great win and a great quote. :)

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Just a great, great win!

I may have told the story here before so apologies if I have. My son traveled to the B1G championship game in Indy with some friends. Their seats were not together and my son ended up sitting next to a very nice Penn State fan couple. Directly in front of my son was a large contingent of Wisky students. When the Badgers scored to go up 28-7 my son had a very solemn sour look on his face apparently because he noticed a Wisky fan in front of him lining up a selfie to get my son's expression in the background. When Barkley scored on the wheel route my son leaned forward and tapped the Wisconsin fan on the shoulder and asked him if he'd like to take another selfie. The kid flipped him off lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT