ADVERTISEMENT

No grass on the football field! Replacing the turf today at Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium....

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
Friends sent a picture of the work being done, but not sure I can get it from my phone to this post. If I figure that out, I'll attach it.

Oh, and, yes, that is my Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium. I has not been officially renamed. ;)

Everything torn up and being replaced except for the end zones and sidelines outside the team boxes. Friends took the picture following the quarterback luncheon. Cabinda and Gesicki were the players who spoke today. Would like to attend one of those someday, but that 6-hour drive gets in my way.

OL

If they were smart they would save what has been taken up, cut it into pieces, package it and sell it.

Friends sent a picture of the work being done, but not sure I can get it from my phone to this post. If I figure that out, I'll attach it.

Oh, and, yes, that is my Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium. I has not been officially renamed. ;)

Everything torn up and being replaced except for the end zones and sidelines outside the team boxes. Friends took the picture following the quarterback luncheon. Cabinda and Gesicki were the players who spoke today. Would like to attend one of those someday, but that 6-hour drive gets in my way.

OL

Not surprised. I actually said during the game the field was looking pretty bad.

Amazing that they can do this and have it ready to go in less than three weeks. Anyone know how long the whole process takes?

It was coming up in the IU game. I saw refs tamping it down like Bones tending to divots in the fairway.

Worse than that. During a couple of the TV timeouts at the IU game, there were guys running around on the field. The appeared to be picking up loose pieces of the turf to clean up the field, as well as placing some back where they had torn away and tamping them down. That had me wondering if the field needed to be replaced. Back-to-back away games should be enough time to install a new turf.

Quit bucking for that AAAD in charge of "Turf Related Revenue Streams" position.

Tsunami doesn't even monitor these boards. She re-allocate all of the excess personnel resources to help her rearrange her furniture.
Dang. I did so well in my role as AAAD for the Rutgers Rivalry, I thought I grab another piece of the pie.;)

Reactions: m48tank
As a related question, what type of grass do they use for the turf? Bluegrass? Fescue? Blend?

12144653_10153292676913074_8837758483618633809_n.jpg

As a related question, what type of grass do they use for the turf? Bluegrass? Fescue? Blend?
This is a hybrid. This is a cross bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent, and northern California sinsemilla. The amazing stuff about this is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt at night on this stuff.

They did this many years ago after a Rutgers game. As long as the weather stays decent it should be ok.

I remember that game. The turf was coming up in chunks and the cheerleaders were tossing pieces into the student section. This of course led to a massive sod/mudball fight. Must have been '94 or '95

I remember that game. The turf was coming up in chunks and the cheerleaders were tossing pieces into the student section. This of course led to a massive sod/mudball fight. Must have been '94 or '95

It was September 1993. They had re-sodded the field the week before the game and it didn't have time to take. It rained like mad on game day and the new sod just came up in chunks. They had to re-sod it all over again during the following week and the team was playing an away game and a bye week so it then had time to take.

Dang, we could have used that on our front lawn in State College! We have mostly moss because of all the pin oaks.

Still remember that game at the Big House where the turf was coming up in chunks. One of the games we got screwed by the refs. Can not remember the year.

ADVERTISEMENT