ADVERTISEMENT

NLWC on Rofkin

Both guys giving each other a lot of respect, similar to JO and Nolf. Consequently, not a lot of offense.

Byers talks too much sometimes and says very little about the unfolding action. At least in these non-folk matches. And he exaggerates about how great the bout actually is or was. The FLO announcers focus on the match itself. DT is there to give commentary, and he is good at it. Byers should stick to the action.

Byers talks too much sometimes and says very little about the unfolding action. At least in these non-folk matches. And he exaggerates about how great the bout actually is or was. The FLO announcers focus on the match itself. DT is there to give commentary, and he is good at it. Byers should stick to the action.

tenor.gif

Blasphemy!!! 🤨

Last edited:
It was a pretty impressive production for the first time out, Rofkin and NLWC made for a class event. I had no problems with the streaming.

It was nice to see these guy out on the mat again. Kirk and Gilman looked impressive.

The Snyder match had me scared for the first 30 seconds as he looked as if he was being moved around a bit. Then at that point Kyle reminded me of a boxer who said he can take the opponents punch and went to work towards domination.

I called both my adult sons and told them I'd sponsor this event. Son #2 surprised me and came back home to watch it here. We enjoyed the matches, both the men and women. A professionally done evening. Thank you Michigan for making it happen.

Someone said the event was hosted at M2. If it was, the ceiling chandeliers that David Taylor put in the room are damn impressive.

It was a pretty impressive production for the first time out, Rofkin and NLWC made for a class event. I had no problems with the streaming.

It was nice to see these guy out on the mat again. Kirk and Gilman looked impressive.

The Snyder match had me scared for the first 30 seconds as he looked as if he was being moved around a bit. Then at that point Kyle reminded me of a boxer who said he can take the opponents punch and went to work towards domination.

I called both my adult sons and told them I'd sponsor this event. Son #2 surprised me and came back home to watch it here. We enjoyed the matches, both the men and women. A professionally done evening. Thank you Michigan for making it happen.

Someone said the event was hosted at M2. If it was, the ceiling chandeliers that David Taylor put in the room are damn impressive.

LOL re the chandeliers. It was actually at the Ramada Inn on South Atherton.

Nerf, thanks for the post, I love it. Out of curiosity, was Cael in the corner for any Matches? I remember seeing Cody, Jake, Casey and Eric.

As to Cael's October ???

Only Cael can make me forget we are in pandemic making things as normal as possible. If he wasn't in the corner, I can speculate that he was on the phone with some RTCs for October.

Well done NLWC.

Nerf, thanks for the post, I love it. Out of curiosity, was Cael in the corner for any Matches? I remember seeing Cody, Jake, Casey and Eric.

As to Cael's October ???

Only Cael can make me forget we are in pandemic making things as normal as possible. If he wasn't in the corner, I can speculate that he was on the phone with some RTCs for October.

Well done NLWC.
Good point, I’m not sure I saw Cael. Maybe he was working the camera? ;)

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I’ll defend dmm here a bit: JB is at his best when he’s describing the action—not using lingo, but painting word pictures. Tonight he had 3 things working against him on that front: 1. He was calling a video stream, not radio. Different focus. 2. I don’t think he’s as comfortable with Freestyle rules (who is?). 3. DT is someone you can really get into a conversation with.

They didn’t really fall into the pbp/color pattern you usually see with 2 on the call. I found it often refreshing, but sometimes frustrating when they seemed to go long stretches ignoring the action. If they do it again, they’ll be better at it. But I thought it was overall still very good, and a massive antidote to Bader/Pyles (whom I don’t hate on any given call, but they sure can be annoying cumulatively).

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I’ll defend dmm here a bit: JB is at his best when he’s describing the action—not using lingo, but painting word pictures. Tonight he had 3 things working against him on that front: 1. He was calling a video stream, not radio. Different focus. 2. I don’t think he’s as comfortable with Freestyle rules (who is?). 3. DT is someone you can really get into a conversation with.

They didn’t really fall into the pbp/color pattern you usually see with 2 on the call. I found it often refreshing, but sometimes frustrating when they seemed to go long stretches ignoring the action. If they do it again, they’ll be better at it. But I thought it was overall still very good, and a massive antidote to Bader/Pyles (whom I don’t hate on any given call, but they sure can be annoying cumulatively).

Defend dmm?

UnfortunateWhisperedDarklingbeetle-size_restricted.gif

• Love
Reactions: lionlover

While DT does exhibit class, the chandeliers aren't his. I thought the event was at M2, was mistaken, and failed to correct myself, as someone else already did earlier in the thread. Oops.

Great event. I liked the rapid fire bouts but it did make it difficult to do anything else. Outstanding to see how guys have continued to improve post college. Durso, Pants, Mach have clearly put in a ton of effort to get better and it shows. Wrestling is for girls.....great action, great wrestling.

So the questions.........

Would Kerk help us this year? Maybe he isn't enrolled so he could participate. What is up with Cassar? Still rehabbing the shoulder? They are both big and quick.

Sign me up for October.

Reactions: Cxh236
Byers announcing is better for radio. I think the best all around announcers for the sport are Iowa's Grace and Ironside. Ironside is fantastic in describing the technical aspect of the match.
Byers is perfect for radio with his unbridled enthusiasm and his passion for Penn State

So far, the matches do not seem to be available for replay. I would note that replays of matches covered by Flo are almost immediately available for replay.

In contrast to the lack of coverage of the NLWC event anticipated by some, Flo did a recap on each match including a compliment about the event.

Rokfin is a different animal from Flo. It appears that the content and subsequent availability are provided by the individuals who contract with the platform. So, this event was completely in the hands of NLWC. They are not going to have the professionals or the resources to provide the same level of service as Flo.

This is not a complaint about NLWC's coverage or the event itself. I enjoyed every second of the second half of the event that I caught live. But, I do think that the Flo naysayers need to recognize Flo's capabilities and its contribution to the sport.

So far, the matches do not seem to be available for replay. I would note that replays of matches covered by Flo are almost immediately available for replay.

In contrast to the lack of coverage of the NLWC event anticipated by some, Flo did a recap on each match including a compliment about the event.

Rokfin is a different animal from Flo. It appears that the content and subsequent availability are provided by the individuals who contract with the platform. So, this event was completely in the hands of NLWC. They are not going to have the professionals or the resources to provide the same level of service as Flo.

This is not a complaint about NLWC's coverage or the event itself. I enjoyed every second of the second half of the event that I caught live. But, I do think that the Flo naysayers need to recognize Flo's capabilities and its contribution to the sport.
Okay, Karen. 😁

You make some good points, but I think most of the naysayers in the past have been because of poor streaming performance, deceptive marketing of the "monthly" fee, and poor customer service, not due to content.

Now, you can add in the Willie lawsuit, with the past issues, and the time might be ripe for a competitor.

Great event. Worth the $ for sure. Streaming for me was good quality and not a single issue.
As others have said, it was difficult to do anything else with no time between matches.

Firefox is my preferred browser, but I used Chrome so I could cast it.

Great wrestling!

NLWC tweeted last night that the matches will be available in “a day or two.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT