ADVERTISEMENT

NLWC News

Sources here are reporting that he is currently working out at NLWC and will be joining PSU wrestling team in January.
I’ll order the antipasto for the welcome back party if it comes to fruition.

antipasto-platter-5.jpg

Just goes to show how misinformed people can be. The rumors that he was so ticked when he left was obviously way off.

Having Suriano back on the team is exciting. I will also say it is surprising to see a kid transfer back once he transferred out, but who cares. He is here. He's such a talent and competitor. Since I see Robbie is practicing, I guess it allows him to RS and/or heal up for next year. Definitely puts PS in a better position for another NCAA championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4theglory54
Rewind to when Suriano won his crown in 2019. He passes Shak in the hallway on his way to the interview room. Shak congratulates him and Suriano says “nothing but respect for those guys, nothing but respect” on camera.

Suriano got a bad wrap from many of us assuming he was the bad boy who wanted out. Never heard Cael or anyone associated with the team say anything as such. I suspect it was a dominant dad who was driving that ploy. Kid had a broken ankle at the wrong time and there was no way the PSU medical team was letting him wrestle that March. No way. It wasn’t Cael’s call.

Reactions: diggerpup
I think the “hard feelings” people talk about are Cael and PSU trying to block him from being immediately eligible to wrestle at Rutgers. Even that happens in every sports.
I love that Cael would do anything to win. He hates losing. While y’all were celebrating four individual champs Cael was pissed. He’s a legend for a reason.

Suriano said he had no interest coming back to college until NIL came about. What better place to make money off your nil than penn st.
Plus psu just happens to need a guy at his weight. I love it.

As just a fan of wrestling and certain wrestlers on both teams, I can’t wait to watch the big10s and ncaa finals between y’all and iowa.

Okay - I don't want to sound like an a hole but I need to say it.

How is it still a question what weight Suriano plans to go?
Sorry, I was inquiring if Nick would have any trouble getting back to 125, not what weight he was planning to go.

Sorry, I was inquiring if Nick would have any trouble getting back to 125, not what weight he was planning to go.
Nah you don't need to apologize. I apologize for being snarky.

How hard his cut is, we won't ever know. I know Cael obviously would have a great plan for it. That being said, if you watched him at 61KG at WTT, he visibly looks smaller than he did at 133 back in 2019. He leaned himself out to prepare for 57KG Olympics.

If Suriano wants 125, he will do whatever it takes to make it happen. His workout intensity has never been an issue (unless it is trying to reel him in).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4theglory54
Why would any lower weight guy want to come to NLWC. You only have Gilman, RBY, Conaway to work out with. What have they done......nothing, at least in the last week.

I think the “hard feelings” people talk about are Cael and PSU trying to block him from being immediately eligible to wrestle at Rutgers. Even that happens in every sports.
I love that Cael would do anything to win. He hates losing. While y’all were celebrating four individual champs Cael was pissed. He’s a legend for a reason.

Suriano said he had no interest coming back to college until NIL came about. What better place to make money off your nil than penn st.
Plus psu just happens to need a guy at his weight. I love it.

As just a fan of wrestling and certain wrestlers on both teams, I can’t wait to watch the big10s and ncaa finals between y’all and iowa.
I don’t really understand the purpose and/or substance of the 4 statements I bolded in your first paragraph.

#1 seems to be an exaggeration. Most coaches will try their best to win. On a spectrum of who will “do anything”, I suspect Cael is not at the upper extreme, as he does not seem the type to break rules, mistreat others, etc. There seems to be clear limits on what he will do to win. He, as most others, will exhaust possibilities and opportunities within his limits, but there are limits, and they are not at the extreme.

#2 is as it should be. I’ve never heard of an achiever who doesn’t hate losing. That said, I happen to believe Cael is motivated more by winning than by “not losing”, and it is an important distinction.

#3 seems to have no basis. I’m pretty confident Cael was celebrating those 4 champs while simultaneously feeling the pain of the guys who fell short of their goals. I do not believe for a second that he lamented the 2nd place team finish more than he celebrated the achievements of his guys. Nothing about his outward expression or philosophy has ever suggested he is motivated more by the negative than by the positive.

Based on the above, #4 is not due to what you seem to think it is. A desire to achieve by maximizing opportunity seems to be the driver of his boat. This is evident in that his response to losing is virtually identical to his response to winning. The next steps are always the same: process the result, then go maximize opportunity. Performance would be much more erratic if his motivation was as simple as “hating to lose”.

I don’t really understand the purpose and/or substance of the 4 statements I bolded in your first paragraph.

#1 seems to be an exaggeration. Most coaches will try their best to win. On a spectrum of who will “do anything”, I suspect Cael is not at the upper extreme, as he does not seem the type to break rules, mistreat others, etc. There seems to be clear limits on what he will do to win. He, as most others, will exhaust possibilities and opportunities within his limits, but there are limits, and they are not at the extreme.

#2 is as it should be. I’ve never heard of an achiever who doesn’t hate losing. That said, I happen to believe Cael is motivated more by winning than by “not losing”, and it is an important distinction.

#3 seems to have no basis. I’m pretty confident Cael was celebrating those 4 champs while simultaneously feeling the pain of the guys who fell short of their goals. I do not believe for a second that he lamented the 2nd place team finish more than he celebrated the achievements of his guys. Nothing about his outward expression or philosophy has ever suggested he is motivated more by the negative than by the positive.

Based on the above, #4 is not due to what you seem to think it is. A desire to achieve by maximizing opportunity seems to be the driver of his boat. This is evident in that his response to losing is virtually identical to his response to winning. The next steps are always the same: process the result, then go maximize opportunity. Performance would be much more erratic if his motivation was as simple as “hating to lose”.
All that is true. But if you watched Cael and Casey scrap in the NLWC Rokfin video on the PanAms, you’ll also have seen that Cael refuses to recognize when he loses in a playful, yet not, manner. I don’t think you get where he is today by being too OK with loss either. He has absolutely built the right framework around those emotions though.

All that is true. But if you watched Cael and Casey scrap in the NLWC Rokfin video on the PanAms, you’ll also have seen that Cael refuses to recognize when he loses in a playful, yet not, manner. I don’t think you get where he is today by being too OK with loss either. He has absolutely built the right framework around those emotions though.
Yeah, don’t get me wrong — it is well documented that he is ultra competitive, even about trivial things like dodgeball. But in my experience, that is more of a sign of relentless pursuit of success (and superiority) than a hatred of losing. The two kind of go hand-in-hand, but there is a nuance in mindset.

In my opinion, those who are driven more by a “hate to lose” attitude are (a) less likely to pursue lofty ambitions and/or (b) more prone to complacency after a success or series of successes. I don’t see either of those traits in Cael.

Reactions: nerfstate
Maybe he has grown a bit from his freshman attitude? Also he knows it is for just one year, not 4 or more...
Maybe, or maybe he was not as pissed or ticked off as some my have thought. I'm really referring to those not located in the east.

Maybe, or maybe he was not as pissed or ticked off as some my have thought. I'm really referring to those not located in the east.
Very true, I was only responding specifically to the comment about not being happy here. But you have other valid comments

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT