ADVERTISEMENT

NIT?

9fold

Aug 22, 2001
Does PSU make the NIT? They made a very nice run in the conference tournament.

Re: NIT? Fingers crossed but.... this year there are about 100 or so teams

with 20 wins. The NIT takes 32. So the 64+ for the NCAA will leave out some of those 20+ win teams, and the NIT looks to enhance the prestige of their tourney with the top teams, so we're up against it. I think we deserve to get in, but I'm skeptical. Even though hosting an opening round game would be great and I think we would see a very good crowd.
But, more likely is the 3rd tier tourney like last year. Of course, we'll draw a decent seed there!

Delete *

Nm

This post was edited on 3/13 4:57 PM by bdgan

I heard the NIT automatically takes small conf regular season winners

if they don't win their tournament and get a NCAA bid. We can't afford any small conference upsets.

Don't hold you breath on an NIT bid, fellas. Hope I'm wrong cause I'd like to see DJ get another home game.

Respectfully, "We Would See A Very Good Crowd"?

Did we see "a very good crowd" even ONCE this season? I know the weather was often awful.....but the crowds were usually very disappointing. Don't know why that would change for an NIT game against a second or third tier opponent.

Not likely

Worse RPI team that they took last year was WVU at #87. We're about #100. That's just not good enough.

Re: I'm rooting for PSU to get a bid to the NIT!.......

They played very hard until they ran out of gas, plus I want to watch DJ play more games! They should be proud, they played hard and smart! Fun team to watch.

We had a good crowd for the early round NIT games we have hosted.

I think the fans would come out to see this team, and especially DJ, play one more home game. Not saying we'll draw 15,000, but drawing 7,000 isn't out of the question if it's an interesting opponent and the weather is favorable.

Still, my thought is that we are a long shot for the NIT anyway, so it is probably a moot point.

Is the CBI an option? I think the answer might be no for my Gophers... Not sure Minnesota will get into the NIT either. Hopefully both teams can find a way in.

Re: I Think Weak Non-Conference Schedule Keeps Them Out! *

I just caught the last part of the radio broadcast, but Steve Jones and the other guy (?) were saying the season was over. They said it was D.J.'s last game in a Penn State uniform. I think they are convinced we will not get an NIT bid, but I got the impression we either would not receive, or would not accept, a CBI bid. Maybe I heard it wrong, so if someone heard all of what they said, please clarify it.

Re: I Think Weak Non-Conference Schedule Keeps Them Out! *

Originally posted by fairgambit:
I just caught the last part of the radio broadcast, but Steve Jones and the other guy (?) were saying the season was over. They said it was D.J.'s last game in a Penn State uniform. I think they are convinced we will not get an NIT bid, but I got the impression we either would not receive, or would not accept, a CBI bid. Maybe I heard it wrong, so if someone heard all of what they said, please clarify it.
That's stat-man and color guy extraordinaire, Dick Jerardi, also a Hall of Famer, US Basketball Writers HOF. Also a primo thoroughbred 'capper and writer. Had the pleasure of meeting him 2 years ago. One of the true good guys in media.

ADVERTISEMENT