ADVERTISEMENT

NIL is about capitalism and free enterprise

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
NIL is the ultimate in free enterprise, and is about the INDIVIDUAL not the team. Pro sports have had this for years but now we have it is in college sports. The coaches are not used to dealing with the one person who can be more valuable in $$$$ than the entire team. This is why you have the dumb statement by Ryan Day that "we" have to find a way to "spread the $$ around". It shows he does not understand what this is about. As a coach his reaction is normal = hey the OL players are key for the QB to do his job. Well in the NFL there are not not many OL players on commercials. That is life - NIL is not about rewarding everyone the same......we all do not get a ribbon......some get gold and some get nothing. It is just like trademarks in business. I think there was confusion by some players that the school (who takes care of all my needs) would negotiate deals handle the money and distribute it like paychecks to all the players. I think now the players are starting to understand this. People are no knocking down your door just because you are on a team.

If you own your own company, how much would you pay for an unknown center on the local team to appear in your ads?

I think that, if you are clever, you can make it work for you. Like the "Do You Know Me?" ads from American Express (?) back in the 80s (70s?). You might get a bargain with the right OL(s).

It’s not so much about what you do on the field, what position you play, or even what sport you play….it’s about followers on social media. That’s where the big money is. If a female gymnast can make millions, a left tackle for Bama certainly can too.

That female gymnast isn't making money because of her gymnastics skills though. I mean more power to her, but it's not an apple to apples comparison

That female gymnast isn't making money because of her gymnastics skills though. I mean more power to her, but it's not an apple to apples comparison
Point is, it’s about social media followers and generating those. Someone on a big time college program can get social media followers even if they’re not a QB or WR. The NIL will likely make the OLinemen and others better known throughout the campus and the area of the get more savvy on social media usage.

Point is, it’s about social media followers and generating those. Someone on a big time college program can get social media followers even if they’re not a QB or WR. The NIL will likely make the OLinemen and others better known throughout the campus and the area of the get more savvy on social media usage.
Advertisers are all getting more sophisticated about the "follower" metric. If it does not lead to sales, who cares about followers.

Advertisers are all getting more sophisticated about the "follower" metric. If it does not lead to sales, who cares about followers.
Because formats like Tik Tok are all about followers and that’s how you get paid. My son had a video from his videography business that had over seven million views, but he didn’t get paid because he doesn’t have enough followers yet.

What good do social media followers to for a business if they dont have money. Let say you have an OL from a small town that never had a Div I athlete. I could see a small business(gym, restrauant, trainer) asking for an endorsement. But the punter isn't adding to a car dealers botton line, that's just the money that was previously dirty(no offense to punters intended). All that said I have no problem with these kids getting paid for the NIL, the issue is we all know most of it is not legit but now its legal.

Football is a team sport. NIL will affect team element for one hundred percent sure. QB wants to be good he needs OL. There HAS to be an equalizer. One doesn't have to be the shapest tack in the box to understand this.

Reactions: Yanks49
What good do social media followers to for a business if they dont have money. Let say you have an OL from a small town that never had a Div I athlete. I could see a small business(gym, restrauant, trainer) asking for an endorsement. But the punter isn't adding to a car dealers botton line, that's just the money that was previously dirty(no offense to punters intended). All that said I have no problem with these kids getting paid for the NIL, the issue is we all know most of it is not legit but now its legal.

So it's the local auto dealer that is/was paying the punter under the table? Mkay.

Football is a team sport. NIL will affect team element for one hundred percent sure. QB wants to be good he needs OL. There HAS to be an equalizer. One doesn't have to be the shapest tack in the box to understand this.

radical individualism will be our downfall.

That punter is if he has 150,000 followers on social media.

Reactions: wbcincy
Because formats like Tik Tok are all about followers and that’s how you get paid. My son had a video from his videography business that had over seven million views, but he didn’t get paid because he doesn’t have enough followers yet.
I understand what you are saying, but the multi-sided market of a real business with real money they earn paying for advertising through whatever platform to reach consumers who have money to buy their product has not changed.....just the ad platforms. FaceBook is nothing but an ad platform like Fox Sports selling time for an NFL game. Everyone is getting more sophisticated about the $ value of reaching consumers.

NIL is the ultimate in free enterprise, and is about the INDIVIDUAL not the team. Pro sports have had this for years but now we have it is in college sports. The coaches are not used to dealing with the one person who can be more valuable in $$$$ than the entire team. This is why you have the dumb statement by Ryan Day that "we" have to find a way to "spread the $$ around". It shows he does not understand what this is about. As a coach his reaction is normal = hey the OL players are key for the QB to do his job. Well in the NFL there are not not many OL players on commercials. That is life - NIL is not about rewarding everyone the same......we all do not get a ribbon......some get gold and some get nothing. It is just like trademarks in business. I think there was confusion by some players that the school (who takes care of all my needs) would negotiate deals handle the money and distribute it like paychecks to all the players. I think now the players are starting to understand this. People are no knocking down your door just because you are on a team.

If you own your own company, how much would you pay for an unknown center on the local team to appear in your ads?
How about us who care about the team and not the individual.

Well you will have to decide if it still worth investing your time. Just like the NFL. The days of where a guy would stay on your team forever is long gone. This is not something new.

I think that is why many coaches are concerned. we have a Team sport where players can get paid for their NIL whether it supports the team or not. The desire to compensate all the players in some more "fair" way is the opposite of NIL. If I am company who wants to increase my sales by using ads with players, I am going to want only the ones that bring the most $$ value. Most of the players would have little to no value to increase the firm's sales. None of this is going to improve team building. It was always about the individual cashing in. Now we have it.

Reactions: Yanks49
I think that is why many coaches are concerned. we have a Team sport where players can get paid for their NIL whether it supports the team or not. The desire to compensate all the players in some more "fair" way is the opposite of NIL. If I am company who wants to increase my sales by using ads with players, I am going to want only the ones that bring the most $$ value. Most of the players would have little to no value to increase the firm's sales. None of this is going to improve team building. It was always about the individual cashing in. Now we have it.

That's why coaches get paid the big bucks. Sorry, no sympathy here.

Possible exception might be the local business owner who wants to be in favor with the athletic dept., and does them and some players a favor by including them in a promotion and paying them. Could be in exchange for "points" or ticket/seat preferences, etc.

Example: The DL who left a season early a few years ago due to his family needing money (I think that was the common story). Had he had enough in NIL income, maybe that would have kept him here for his last season. The AD might have reached out to a few of their business donors and put a bug in their ear about it. PSU wins, family wins, kid wins, business person wins, we're all just jumping around like loons over him staying another season.

Possible exception might be the local business owner who wants to be in favor with the athletic dept., and does them and some players a favor by including them in a promotion and paying them. Could be in exchange for "points" or ticket/seat preferences, etc.

Example: The DL who left a season early a few years ago due to his family needing money (I think that was the common story). Had he had enough in NIL income, maybe that would have kept him here for his last season. The AD might have reached out to a few of their business donors and put a bug in their ear about it. PSU wins, family wins, kid wins, business person wins, we're all just jumping around like loons over him staying another season.
If the school gets involved in the transaction, I think they would be operating outside the NCAA interim guidelines. The $$$ are supposed to flow from the sponsor to the player for whatever the services are they were to perform. IF the sponsor gets anything of value from the school in consideration for providing funding to players, then the school would be part of the agreement. It is normal for the AD to give goodies to donors who donate $$$ to the school's athletic dept, but this would a bit different I think. This assumes that the NCAA is governing this along the lines defined so far.

the example of the player being forced to leave school for financial reasons was the reason for giving the cost of attendance stipends. that is not big money, but was supposed to deal with the issues of players in financial need.

Reactions: Bob78
The problem is that football is a team sport. NIL is not about the team. It takes real control from the coach and puts it in individuals not the players or the team. Some teams will become polluted with me only individuals, and some will be able to function. The NFL is able to discard the me only players quite easily. Some guys are able to be me first, but still play as a team player others fail. I have a feeling that me players would be bad under any system or set of rules. We'll see.

And that's why the university hierarchy hates it.

It's a God given right imo, but it obviously messes w/ amateurism - a word that has just sort of gone away the past few years. If you take NIL money, you really shouldn't be taking free tuition. It's incongruent.

Was Bobby Jones truly an amateur? Was Jay Sigel?

It's a God given right imo, but it obviously messes w/ amateurism - a word that has just sort of gone away the past few years.

Was Bobby Jones truly an amateur? Was Jay Sigel?
Sure. They made more from their regular jobs so did not need the hassle of needing to win to eat. In Jones' day pro golfers were not thought of very highly as most of them had to gamble with wealthy club member s who thought they were good. Sigel was probably one of the club members they did not want to play.

Sure. They made more from their regular jobs so did not need the hassle of needing to win to eat. In Jones' day pro golfers were not thought of very highly as most of them had to gamble with wealthy club member s who thought they were good. Sigel was probably one of the club members they did not want to play.
I was thinking that their business relationships improved along the same line as their playing ability.

Don’t fool yourself NIL is all about greed. Let me clarify that statement. It is not greed on the players end. The greed comes from agents signing high school kids. It comes from wealthy boosters/business who will funnel money to agents to sign kids to come to their university. Capitalism was great when the world had morality. Capitalism without morality is nothing more than greed. Bottom line agents are flesh peddlers. You can’t ever trust someone who peddles flesh for a living.

I’m very curious to see if players will be able maintain grades in the new era of college sports.

Alabama is a place where Bryce Young or some names could come in make all those figures and it will probably work o/u for OU , but there are a lot of slakcjaw progrums like Tennessee or Michigan where it all goes downhill whem Junior Manning Junior decides to deliver Arbys Meats for 50k per stop instead of playing past October of So. Year. The Alliance has to make sure those Michigan guys have something to playbfor those years they dont have the speed to beat Rutgers week 3

Don’t fool yourself NIL is all about greed. Let me clarify that statement. It is not greed on the players end. The greed comes from agents signing high school kids. It comes from wealthy boosters/business who will funnel money to agents to sign kids to come to their university. Capitalism was great when the world had morality. Capitalism without morality is nothing more than greed. Bottom line agents are flesh peddlers. You can’t ever trust someone who peddles flesh for a living.

I’m very curious to see if players will be able maintain grades in the new era of college sports.
But the kids ultimately are the ones taking the money and allowing the boosters to influence where they go to school. Please don’t act like the players and their families aren’t involved in this as well. And capitalism, with or without morality, is the only system that works.

Lots to unpack here.

The problem with NIL is that college sports becomes a free for all. Because of NIL, there are no controls. A five-star kid can be lured to a school because a booster pays him $10m to do so. College football is now a professional sport.

OK, got it. But the problem is, unlike other professional sports, there is no player's union. Without a player's union, there is no collective bargaining agreement. Without a CBA, there is no way to regulate the money coming into the sport. The NCAA really blew it when NW wanted to create a player's union and they quashed it. They could have started a players' union and negotiated a CBA that benefited and was applied to every team. In today's structure, that is not possible.

And there is no such thing as "free markets". They are all regulated, to some extent.

Now, PSU has a huge opportunity. One of the most populous areas of the nation is the Washington DC to NYC megalopolis. PSU has, for decades, dominated that area for college football. If PSU is smart, they are moving in to dominate Rutgers and MD. This means a lot of marketing dollars. B1G should be pushing, big time, for fortify TV deals. There is nothing like that market in the entire B1G and the reason why the B1G added Rutgers. That is the cash cow of B1G TV.

Lots to unpack here.

The problem with NIL is that college sports becomes a free for all. Because of NIL, there are no controls. A five-star kid can be lured to a school because a booster pays him $10m to do so. College football is now a professional sport.

OK, got it. But the problem is, unlike other professional sports, there is no player's union. Without a player's union, there is no collective bargaining agreement. Without a CBA, there is no way to regulate the money coming into the sport. The NCAA really blew it when NW wanted to create a player's union and they quashed it. They could have started a players' union and negotiated a CBA that benefited and was applied to every team. In today's structure, that is not possible.

And there is no such thing as "free markets". They are all regulated, to some extent.

Now, PSU has a huge opportunity. One of the most populous areas of the nation is the Washington DC to NYC megalopolis. PSU has, for decades, dominated that area for college football. If PSU is smart, they are moving in to dominate Rutgers and MD. This means a lot of marketing dollars. B1G should be pushing, big time, for fortify TV deals. There is nothing like that market in the entire B1G and the reason why the B1G added Rutgers. That is the cash cow of B1G TV.
Nic e break down

Lots to unpack here.

It's a professional sport but it's a professional sport with no salary cap or draft. Leagues like the NFL do these things to try to maintain some kind of competitive balance because they realize if the games aren't competitive they become uninteresting and people aren't going to watch. College football doesn't have anything like that.

The other problem is any 'pay' is coming from outside sources. In the NFL or any other league you sign a contract with the team and the team pays you. Not here. The coaches and schools lost control when it comes to NIL incentives. Phil Knight can have more say over who is on the Oregon roster than the head football coach if he wants to.

They whole situation has become laughable and I find it amusing.

Reactions: Obliviax
It's a professional sport but it's a professional sport with no salary cap or draft. Leagues like the NFL do these things to try to maintain some kind of competitive balance because they realize if the games aren't competitive they become uninteresting and people aren't going to watch. College football doesn't have anything like that.

The other problem is any 'pay' is coming from outside sources. In the NFL or any other league you sign a contract with the team and the team pays you. Not here. The coaches and schools lost control when it comes to NIL incentives. Phil Knight can have more say over who is on the Oregon roster than the head football coach if he wants to.

They whole situation has become laughable and I find it amusing.
good points on "outside money" and a draft. "follow the money, a smart person once said. So if you are offered $1m to play for Rutgers and zero to play for your "dream school" what are you going to do?

That leads, IMHO, to cultural changes. Going to an NFL game is like going to a bad biker bar. People are drunk and disorderly. People get upset when the players aren't playing well and boo. Lots of F bombs. A terrible environment and I don't go to games when I get free tickets. PSU has had a really wonderful environment. while there are often rough spots, most game day experiences are positive and supportive even when we play poorly. Don't boo the kids! I still fill horrible for yelling "What about the ****ing Holding" when UM was driving with :30 to go in the four-overtime game against UM. People looked at me like I was an ogre or something. Those days, that atmosphere will deteriorate if kids are here to represent PSU but just to maximize their income.

good points on "outside money" and a draft. "follow the money, a smart person once said. So if you are offered $1m to play for Rutgers and zero to play for your "dream school" what are you going to do?

That leads, IMHO, to cultural changes. Going to an NFL game is like going to a bad biker bar. People are drunk and disorderly. People get upset when the players aren't playing well and boo. Lots of F bombs. A terrible environment and I don't go to games when I get free tickets. PSU has had a really wonderful environment. while there are often rough spots, most game day experiences are positive and supportive even when we play poorly. Don't boo the kids! I still fill horrible for yelling "What about the ****ing Holding" when UM was driving with :30 to go in the four-overtime game against UM. People looked at me like I was an ogre or something. Those days, that atmosphere will deteriorate if kids are here to represent PSU but just to maximize their income.
Yep, the days of college football are over. Sorry Joe, you built something wonderful and it was great while it lasted but then the world changed. The Jackie Sherrills of the world and worse won in the long run. Probably was inevitable. It's okay, the world moves on and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Reactions: bdgan
I wonder how many hours per week players are spending on capitalizing on NIL revenue vs time spent of education and football.

ADVERTISEMENT