ADVERTISEMENT

Nickal vs Conel

Sorry, I totally disagree with the "Bo likes to live on the edge" comment. He's a 5th year senior that had 2 moves backfire 3 years ago as a RSFR. Last year he was 46-1 in dual meet takedowns (46 for, 1 against), and in many of those he intentionally gave up his leg. I see a much more controlled wrestler than I saw as a first year starter, not even close to living on the edge. Attack Bo at your own risk...I believe "living on the edge" might apply more to his opponents.
Perhaps a better way to put it is that he’s comfortable on the edge. There’s no doubt he doesn’t need to be there to get impressive wins, but you can’t say he’s a risk averse kind of wrestler, even now. Whatever he is, he’s damn good at it.

Perhaps a better way to put it is that he’s comfortable on the edge. There’s no doubt he doesn’t need to be there to get impressive wins, but you can’t say he’s a risk averse kind of wrestler, even now. Whatever he is, he’s damn good at it.
Yes, he's very, very good, and I will sit back and thoroughly enjoy his final season of collegiate wrestling. The whole "edge" thing threw me. That's his game today...there's no edge at all. Not in my thinking anyway.

Reactions: nitlion6
Sorry, I totally disagree with the "Bo likes to live on the edge" comment. He's a 5th year senior that had 2 moves backfire 3 years ago as a RSFR. Last year he was 46-1 in dual meet takedowns (46 for, 1 against), and in many of those he intentionally gave up his leg. I see a much more controlled wrestler than I saw as a first year starter, not even close to living on the edge. Attack Bo at your own risk...I believe "living on the edge" might apply more to his opponents.
Maybe Nerf meant Bo likes to live on the edge against Lehigh ... because that's where Lehigh usually wrestles.

Thank you. Brilliant perspective and post!

Maybe Nerf meant Bo likes to live on the edge against Lehigh ... because that's where Lehigh usually wrestles.
Usually? I guess you must account for the two or three seconds it takes for them to circle back to it.

Bo had 7 Tech Falls as a RSFR, then one each the past two years. At the same time, he had 8 Falls as a RSFR, then 17 and 16 the past two years. Evidence suggests that the possibility of a Tech Fall is the least likely outcome.

At the same time Conel has 4 LBF's, and 2 LTF's in his career.

It's an intriguing match-up, and a great opportunity for Bo...and as we all know, he lives (wrestling-wise) for these opportunities. IT'S WHAT HE DOES...
Yep, one of the last changes that I want to get done before the season starts is an update to the prediction engine. I need to factor in the likelihood of specific match results per wrestler (as well as previous head-to-head) results. Right now, neither of those are factored....which is why it's predicting the result like that.

Yep, one of the last changes that I want to get done before the season starts is an update to the prediction engine. I need to factor in the likelihood of specific match results per wrestler (as well as previous head-to-head) results. Right now, neither of those are factored....which is why it's predicting the result like that.
ELO-plus!!! Keep doing what you're doing, love your site.

This will only affect predictions, right? And, not rankings? You know I love to antagonize the people that are getting all bent out of shape and don't get that the rankings are just math. Er, did I say antagonize? I meant educate.

Reactions: andegre
Yes, he's very, very good, and I will sit back and thoroughly enjoy his final season of collegiate wrestling. The whole "edge" thing threw me. That's his game today...there's no edge at all. Not in my thinking anyway.

You're right, there is no edge. When an opponent thinks they have Bo right where they want him, it's actually right where Bo wants them.

It should scare every opponent any time they think they have the upper hand with Bo Nickal. That's the moment right before they realize it's all over.

This will only affect predictions, right? And, not rankings? You know I love to antagonize the people that are getting all bent out of shape and don't get that the rankings are just math. Er, did I say antagonize? I meant educate.
Correct sir, predictions only.

You're right, there is no edge. When an opponent thinks they have Bo right where they want him, it's actually right where Bo wants them.

It should scare every opponent any time they think they have the upper hand with Bo Nickal. That's the moment right before they realize it's all over.
I don’t generally disagree at all here. But even ninjas “die by the sword.” Can anyone dispute the fact that Bo took a huuuuge risk against Martin in the finals? Sure, maybe his superior wrestling in all positions means it was less of a risk, but how many guys have you seen try a move like that in the NCAA finals? It happens, but not often—and especially not when you are the superior wrestler. For me, this is why I love Bo. No fear, and a stone cold killer mentality. Probably will be my favorite all time when his career is over here (and as we all know, that is saying quite a lot).

Don’t go for the “cheese in the trap”.

I don’t generally disagree at all here. But even ninjas “die by the sword.” Can anyone dispute the fact that Bo took a huuuuge risk against Martin in the finals? Sure, maybe his superior wrestling in all positions means it was less of a risk, but how many guys have you seen try a move like that in the NCAA finals? It happens, but not often—and especially not when you are the superior wrestler. For me, this is why I love Bo. No fear, and a stone cold killer mentality. Probably will be my favorite all time when his career is over here (and as we all know, that is saying quite a lot).

I agree with you. To suggest that Bo takes no risk is ridiculous. He's just so good that his actual risk may be smaller than most. No one is raising their leg between their opponent's in the national finals and going towards their back except him. That's risk whether he had him all the way or not. The big difference now vs then is that he doesn't go for things in 50/50 positions. He's always in an 85/15 position even if his opponent doesn't know it yet. Against Myles, it may have been more 70/30. Against Sammy and especially Boyd two years ago, those guys had no chance and didn't even know it.

I agree with your analysis of Bo's wrestling style, but what I really love is your clarification of his takedown record, just in case folks aren't sure who had the 46 and who had the 1. :rolleyes:

The schedule says it will be on lionvision free. What are we talking here, free audio or free video?

The schedule says it will be on lionvision free. What are we talking here, free audio or free video?

I have never been able to figure out what LionVision is. However, BTN has the video rights so I can't imagine it is free video.

I don't see it on the BTN TV schedule or on the BTN plus schedule.

LionVision is a page on the gopsusports website and app, it shows video, and sometimes just audio feeds of different sports. So, even though vision is in the title, it might just be the radio feed for the bout, it saves you having to use a radio app for a state college station to hear the bout.

Go to the site, chose the drop down on the right, chose multimedia then LionVision, you can see upcoming feeds and if they are video or just audio.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT