ADVERTISEMENT

Nickal vs Conel

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
I realize that it's still over a month away but why not talk about the most intriguing matchup of the first match of the season?
Bo moving up a weight and right off the bat faces a monster. Is Conel the strongest 197 out there? Certainly right up there.
How do people see this playing out?
Bo by major? Tech? Fall? Dec? Will Bo go gangbusters from the start and go for a huge move to make a statement?
Let's hear it...how does this go down?
Roar Lions Roar!!!

I realize that it's still over a month away but why not talk about the most intriguing matchup of the first match of the season?
Bo moving up a weight and right off the bat faces a monster. Is Conel the strongest 197 out there? Certainly right up there.
Bo by major? Tech? Fall? Dec? Will Bo go gangbusters from the start and go for a huge move to make a statement?
Roar Lions Roar!!!

Coach pulls Conel ….he had a wedding....got a little dinged....wanted him to be 100%...…..Gave him the match off.....going to be a long season. Oh...wait.....it is KENT State......tKSU......they are IN Ohio but NOT Ohio......my bad......nevermind :)

I don't think it will be that great of a match. Think Conel wrestled very well at the tourney last year and is not a good match up for the Bucknuts. However, the Bucknut had an easy go of it to get revenge during the summer.

Reactions: pish69
If Conel decides he wants to wrestle Bo to see what is what then the match will be entertaining and probably end in a fall.

If Conel just wants to keep it close and see what might happen at the end then it will be interesting to see what Bo can do to force his way through a reluctant and powerful 197# opponent.

Last edited:
If Conel decides he wants to wrestle Bo to see what is what then the match will be entertaining and probably end in a fall.

If Conel just wants to keep it close and see what might happen at the end then it will be interesting to see what Bo can do to force his way through a reluctant and powerful 197# opponent.

I agree with this completely.

When is the last time that someone legitimately mixed it up with Bo and didn't get pinned? Realbuto at the scuffle his freshman year? I wouldn't say Myles mixed it up with him when he beat him, he's more of a counter guy. In fact, I think all 3 of Bo's losses have resulted from counters. He has pinned almost everyone who comes out aggressive. For example, see Brooks, Sammy

If Weigel hadn't blown a knee in the 1st period, Conel would have been on the back side of the bracket after the 1st round. He had a great NCAA run, and perhaps that helped him jump a level-but after watching him get teched in the 1st period in his 1st Weigel match, don't see him being a big challenge for Bo.

If Weigel hadn't blown a knee in the 1st period, Conel would have been on the back side of the bracket after the 1st round. He had a great NCAA run, and perhaps that helped him jump a level-but after watching him get teched in the 1st period in his 1st Weigel match, don't see him being a big challenge for Bo.

totally agree. Conel did have a great run but he lost 11 times last year, including the MAC finals. Among his 11 losses were two by tech, one by pin (granted it was the national champ that pinned him), and a major.

sorry but this one lacks anything close to the intrigue of the last meaningful match-up at 197 between a Penn St grappler moving up and a monster from KSU.

Conel is a mystery.
Prior to NCAAs his season/career was pretty mediocre. Handful of head scratching losses and the only real W of note vs Rasheed @Clarion Open.

Assuming he's a full go to start the season, his match on 11/9 vs Warner might take the luster off his match w/Bo [if he gets handled]. Of course, it could go the other way too and bump this up a notch or two [if Conel does the handling].
Plus I think that's a Tri-Meet on 11/9? Does he have a 2nd match that day too? Tough opening weekend grind.

Either way, I think Conel goes for it and Bo ends up decking him.:cool:

Reactions: Dogwelder
Agreed. Conel's path to victory against Rasheed was basically stoning him on his feet with his strength and victories against Moore were off upper body. I don't see either path being available to him against Bo. I don't think it's going to be close.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'll go Bo by Major or Tech. Nitlion brings up a good point. I think Conel Will be extremely cautious and conservative, so a pin might be difficult.

Bo's an emotional guy. Controlled emotion during a match, but emotional nonetheless. First bout, last year to wrestle, new weight class, with fans rocking. I suspect the environment, along with Bo's immense talent, will be a factor. Won't guess the exact outcome, though I don't believe it will be close.

Reactions: nitlion6
Roar Lions Roar!!!

The match will end by pinfall. It will be as a result of a big throw/move that will again bring the fans to their feet.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Two possibilities that I see. One, due to Conel being so big (I've mentioned this before, but he must be short as it's unfathomable how he makes 197) and it being early in the year, he doesn't wrestle, as he's trying to get his weight under control. Second option is that he actually wrestles heavyweight for all or part of the year, due to his size.

I think Conels demise will hinge on the outcome of Warners match, if he meets Bo with the confidence of just beating Warner, then he may just be dumb enough to try something big. We all know how that will end.
He’s shown he can throw, but this aint Kollin Moore.

If he chooses the conservative approach, we all know how that will end.
He’s strong as bull, but so was Gabe Dean.

Last edited:
I think the only way Conel approaches the match conservatively is if he wants to tactically not show his stuff before a possible NCAA matchup. He left caution to the wind in Cleveland and proved that could be a winning formula. Why would he tap the breaks? It’s not like Kent St is going to have a shot in the dual. My guess? Someone ends the match with a ceiling view, and it’s 85% likely it isn’t Bo.

Conel is a favorite wrestler. I love his passion for the sport. His interviews are great. Sitting next to 3 buckeye fans when he decked Moore was awesome. Sitting next to them again as they said it won't happen twice and it did was priceless. That said I see Bo in this one in an early pin of a late tech fall.

I'm always interested in regional vernacular, so is it a PA thing to say, "a view of the ceiling?" In Minnesota we always said that he was, "seeing the lights."

FWIW, Wrestlestat has it as an 18-3 TF for Nickal. I think Conel caught lightning in a bottle, and this result wouldn't surprise me.

FWIW, Wrestlestat has it as an 18-3 TF for Nickal. I think Conel caught lightning in a bottle, and this result wouldn't surprise me.

That score indicates Nickal getting multiple sets of back points. IMO if he gets Conel on his back, he gets the fall.
Bo had 7 Tech Falls as a RSFR, then one each the past two years. At the same time, he had 8 Falls as a RSFR, then 17 and 16 the past two years. Evidence suggests that the possibility of a Tech Fall is the least likely outcome.

At the same time Conel has 4 LBF's, and 2 LTF's in his career.

It's an intriguing match-up, and a great opportunity for Bo...and as we all know, he lives (wrestling-wise) for these opportunities. IT'S WHAT HE DOES...

Last edited:
The chances of Bo getting pinned are, I firmly believe, exceedingly slim. 83% or even 85% put forth above are way too low. If it ends by fall, I think it's probably a 99% chance Bo pins Conel.

Reactions: VRE
The chances of Bo getting pinned are, I firmly believe, exceedingly slim. 83% or even 85% put forth above are way too low. If it ends by fall, I think it's probably a 99% chance Bo pins Conel.
I get that degree of confidence. I just couldn’t go that far. Bo likes to live on the edge—DT could not believe Bo went for an elevator on MM—and given their finals history... Myles is a better wrestler than Conel. Is Nate Jackson? Maybe. But Conel has horsepower. Anyway, it’s not like I said 50%.

I get that degree of confidence. I just couldn’t go that far. Bo likes to live on the edge—DT could not believe Bo went for an elevator on MM—and given their finals history... Myles is a better wrestler than Conel. Is Nate Jackson? Maybe. But Conel has horsepower. Anyway, it’s not like I said 50%.

I know. But when was Bo last pinned in a match?

The chance that Conel wins is probably 10% or less and the only way I see him winning is if Bo does something silly and gets caught

The chances of Bo Pinning Kyle are greater than 30%.

If the match ends with a pin, I see greater than 9 out of 10 times the match ends with Bo getting the pin.

I am surprised there is so much speculation here. Conel is one impressive physical specimen but let's not get ahead of yourselves, a vast history on both sides doesn't indicate much risk here.

Bo's jump to 197 definitely ads a sense of intrigue and unknown but in the end Bo is Bo.

Gabe Dean the destroyer of worlds was the benchmark in this situation and as much as we all love Conel (Moore), he is no Gabe Dean.

I think Bo wins 197 easier than 184. Bo would have won 197 last year easily. Those 197's are not gonna know what hit them. Not nearly as many wrestlers at 197 as 174 or 184.

Reactions: lionlover
This match won't be close or in doubt at any moment. Bo all day no matter upper body of low shots. Old noodle arms must be way stronger than he looks because he always seems to toss around the guys who look like weight lifters. Bo wrestles with Varner plenty and Varner is stronger than a garlic milkshake to quote my old buddy flap.

Sorry, I totally disagree with the "Bo likes to live on the edge" comment. He's a 5th year senior that had 2 moves backfire 3 years ago as a RSFR. Last year he was 46-1 in dual meet takedowns (46 for, 1 against), and in many of those he intentionally gave up his leg. I see a much more controlled wrestler than I saw as a first year starter, not even close to living on the edge. Attack Bo at your own risk...I believe "living on the edge" might apply more to his opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT