ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Lee: Feral Manimal

All things being equal, Saturday was Pletcher's best chance to beat Lee. Pletcher got the first takedown and could counter-wrestle. Lee tends to do even better after first facing someone. So I am thinking Lee 3 and Pletcher 0, if they meet that many times.
The FRL guys expressed the same opinion.

is anyone concerned about...

Demas?

I know our guy is great at adjustments. But he didn’t have anything close to an answer to those trips. hopefully CCC & J have pulled another rabbit out of their technique hat. And obviously, the match may not happen. I’m cautiously optimistic looking forward to finding out, if they get the opportunity to scrap.

or is woods more of a wildcard?

is anyone concerned about...

Demas?

I know our guy is great at adjustments. But he didn’t have anything close to an answer to those trips. hopefully CCC & J have pulled another rabbit out of their technique hat. And obviously, the match may not happen. I’m cautiously optimistic looking forward to finding out, if they get the opportunity to scrap.

or is woods more of a wildcard?

Demas looks to go for big throws. As long as Lee is aware (and he certainly is) and stays out of those situations, then I think he beats Demas. The rest of Demas game is good, but no where close to the level of Nick's.

Last edited:
Concern is too strong for me, maybe just "be aware". From Nick's opponent's standpoint, they should be just as aware of Nick's ability, as he's jumped a level. Wrestle his (Lee's) match, and let the chips fall where they may. Heck, McKee had Lee in trouble too -- no panic at all, just roll through and come out on top, but Nick still needs awareness to get out of positions he's at a disadvantage.

I remember coach saying (paraphrased) - if you're in a position that isn't comfortable, get out of it asap, as it's probably one that's comfortable to your opponent. It was said at one of the Coaches Radio Shows.

Pletcher (short, stocky, and quick). Lee took a period and a half to get through Pletcher's defense, and Pletcher's early takedown (first given up by Lee in a dual this year) was a thing of beauty. Good fight by Nick to weather the storm, and dominate last half of the bout. Still think it's slight advantage Nick going into Big Ten's, but anything but a pushover, same with NCAA's, if they meet.

Demas (strong, like's throws). Lee wore Demas out at NCAA's last year, but Demas had a large lead with the two throws. Lee is certainly aware of Demas' strength, and may tweak his style, but still needs to wrestle his match. Lee's level jump should show in a rematch if it happens, and I would expect Lee's fitness to again play a part in the bout.

EDIT: Just saw SJP used the word "aware" too. Great minds...?

Reactions: SJP80
Just like a puncher in boxing, a guy who can hit the big throw/move always has a chance. It is something to be aware of when on the mat but you still need to wrestle your match. Regardless, I will certainly sign up to see Lee v. Pletcher 2 more times.

That's not what I heard the FRL guys say. Cyon said it but the other two disagreed with him. In fact, Nomad cited the McKenna example (but went on to offer a ridiculous Nomad-y hot take about Lee being better at dual meets than he is at tournaments)
Foe the amount of wrestling content that they are exposed to working at Flo, the "hot" takes of a couple of their frontmen are so consistently vacuous that it really lends credence to the bait-click accusations.

I think Nick has definitely established himself as the favorite in this matchup. That said, if you win two out of three times in sports, you're still a favorite. Anything can happen in sports.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Foe the amount of wrestling content that they are exposed to working at Flo, the "hot" takes of a couple of their frontmen are so consistently vacuous that it really lends credence to the bait-click accusations.
They haven't figured out that long ago they stopped being avant-garde -- they're garde.

Or as a friend said yesterday: when Rage Against the Machine charges $100/ticket on a nationwide tour, they're The Machine.

They haven't figured out that long ago they stopped being avant-garde -- they're garde.

Or as a friend said yesterday: when Rage Against the Machine charges $100/ticket on a nationwide tour, they're The Machine.
You couldn't have summed up my sentiments better with that.

You really are the king of analogies. It's not the first time that has happened.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT