ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Lee: Feral Manimal

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
Oh man . . . "Manimal Nick Lee is tearing up his opponents this year. He seems to have upped his game to the next level with additional ferocity, tenacity, and consistency on his feet and with top tier technique (turns and punishing rides) a la predecessor Zain.

In the US Open, he took out both Eierman and Molinaro handily to finish 3rd and qualify for the Olympic Trials.

He is undefeated.

He has a bonus rate this year of 93.3%, having only failed to bonus in one match that he won 11-5 easily and early in the year.

He leads the team in tech falls, dual points, dual majors, dual takedowns, and dual near falls.

He ravaged and "rag-dolled" #6 Chad Red and #4 Tristan Moran, two top ten guys.

In terms of PSU team records, he is now 7th in career tech falls. With one more, he will be tied for 7th in career majors.

He is 6th in career bonus percentage at nearly 70%, behind only Zain, Ruth, Nickal, Nolf, and Taylor (pretty good company I would say).

Today, he gets #5 McKee and then #1 Pletcher this coming Friday.

Keep it going "Honey Badger" Nick.

Oh man . . . "Manimal Nick Lee is tearing up his opponents this year. He seems to have upped his game to the next level with additional ferocity, tenacity, and consistency on his feet and with top tier technique (turns and punishing rides) a la predecessor Zain.

In the US Open, he took out both Eierman and Molinaro handily to finish 3rd and qualify for the Olympic Trials.

He is undefeated.

He has a bonus rate this year of 93.3%, having only failed to bonus in one match that he won 11-5 easily and early in the year.

He leads the team in tech falls, dual points, dual majors, dual takedowns, and dual near falls.

In terms of PSU team records, he is now 7th in career tech falls. With one more, he will be tied for 7th in career majors.

He is 6th in career bonus percentage at nearly 70%, behind only Zain, Ruth, Nickal, Nolf, and Taylor (pretty good company I would say).

That was tremendously well timed!! Good stuff dmm

I'm saying Lee 7 Pletcher 4. Should be a great dual, Pletcher's slick and rather hard to figure out because of his stature, but I really think Pletcher winning would be an upset in my eyes (and I know what their rankings are).

Reactions: danoftw

He is undefeated.

Nick’s a student of the game, and IMO that’s one of his best attributes. He’s obviously learned a lot from Zain - Nick’s top game is top notch this year. In the post match interview, he said he learned the cradle that he used to pin McKee from Nolf and Bo. Lee said he’s been working hard on it. It shows!

Reactions: diggerpup and garw
I think Lee’s dominant top game will be the difference in riding time.

Lee and Pletcher are very close in terms of their common opponents this year. It bodes for an exciting match.

Nick Lee Luke Pletcher

#6 McKee, Mitch 02/09/20 W FALL 1:57 // W 12-6
#7 Moran, Tristan 02/07/20 W MD 14-1 // W 11-3
#181 Baxter, Hunter 02/02/20 W TF5 16-0 5:52 // Fall 1:57
#56 Happel, Carter 01/31/20 W TF5 20-5 5:53 // W 14-5
#8 Red, Chad 01/24/20 W MD 9-1 // W 10-1
#87 Aragona, JoJo 01/19/20 W TF5 19-4 7:00 // W 12-4
#81 McKenna, Alec 01/12/20 W TF5 20-5 4:51 // W 13-4
#30 Duncan, Dylan 01/10/20 W MD 13-5 // W 12-5

Last edited:
Lee is 16-0 with a 93.75 bonus rate

Pletcher is 23-0 with a 65.22 bonus rate

Nick has got to be training with the Zain Train. He looks like a miniZain.... destroying people. Today’s second announcer could only keep saying wow, wow, wow! Beautiful thing to see.

I hope Ryan doesn't leave Pletcher on the bench for this one. Even if Nick would lose I don't think there are many guys wrestling right now that learns an opponents strengths, weaknesses and tendencies like Nick does. He's very good at turning outcomes around or widening the gap the more he wrestles a guy.

Reactions: diggerpup
Looking a bit ahead, Lee is likely either the 4th or 5th seed at Olympic trials. That probably means a match against Yianni and then Zain if he wins in the semis. Hmm. How do those potential matches go?
  1. Zain Retherford
  2. Jordan Oliver
  3. Joey McKenna
  4. Yianni Diakomihalis
  5. Nick Lee
  6. Frank Molinaro

Nick has got to be training with the Zain Train. He looks like a miniZain.... destroying people. Today’s second announcer could only keep saying wow, wow, wow! Beautiful thing to see.

Not till I see the bow and arrow will I believe this.:):)
I do believe he tried it once this season but hasn't gone to it again.
Maybe he's saving it to try on Luke.

Beat? LOL, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he sticks him.

My son started watching PSU wrestling a couple years ago and became a huge Bo fan for his pinning ability, in particular when he flipped and stuck Martin in the finals. He hasn't watched as much this year since Bo is gone, but he was watching with me yesterday, and I was telling him Nick Lee has been destroying people this year like Bo did, and to watch because he's going to wreck this guy who is top 5 in the country. Right on cue, he dove into the cradle on McKee and I said here it comes, this match is over, and sure enough, ten seconds later it was over. He's a big fan of Lee now...

Just Nick, to me.

Btw, he's another in the line of Penn State wrestlers that makes success so simple, it's difficult for many. He eats right, sleeps right, practices right, has DESIRE to improve, no bad habits, listens intently, keeps up with his studies, and so on. He's the complete package, some would say anal about every life aspect. Apple didn't fall far on this one ... and Joe and Matt, while yet to wrestle in a PSU singlet, have many of the same qualities.

Beat? LOL, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he sticks him.

My son started watching PSU wrestling a couple years ago and became a huge Bo fan for his pinning ability, in particular when he flipped and stuck Martin in the finals. He hasn't watched as much this year since Bo is gone, but he was watching with me yesterday, and I was telling him Nick Lee has been destroying people this year like Bo did, and to watch because he's going to wreck this guy who is top 5 in the country. Right on cue, he dove into the cradle on McKee and I said here it comes, this match is over, and sure enough, ten seconds later it was over. He's a big fan of Lee now...

That’s Dad of the Year-level parenting.

Reactions: Ja1339
ADVERTISEMENT