ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Lee Appreciation Thread

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
I have to admit coming in off a 'HS' grey shirt and quick on the heels of the Zain, Nolf, Bo dynasty, I have to admit I was frustrated at times durning Nick's freshman year. The Joey MCkenna match comes to mind.

With that motor Nick was a bit careless and needed to tighten things up.

Boy did he ever.

What a masterful tactician in all three positions. I expect probably the least fun wrestler to wrestle against in the country.

Now looking back at his career and these last two spectacular championships he is up there with our very best ever. Credits to his name are victories over Eireman Pletch, and yes both Zain and Yanni. Our first ever 5x AA as well. What can I say but WOW.

What a pleasure it has been to see you develope into the very best, and what a classy ambassador for our program.

I don't think we have seen the last of your accolades. Chop wood and carry water - you are one tough stud. Well done!!!!

Last edited:
I have to admit coming in off a grey shirt and quick on the heels of the Zain, Nolf, Bo dynasty, I have to admit I was frustrated at times durning Nick's freshman year. The Joey MCkenna match comes to mind.

Boy did he ever.

What a masterful tactician in all three positions. I expect probably the least fun wrestler to wrestle against in the country.

Now looking back at his career and these last two spectacular championships he is up there with our very best ever. Credits to his name are victories over Eireman Pletch, and yes both Zain and Yanni. Our first ever 5x AA as well. What can I say but WOW.

What a pleasure it has been to see you develope into the very best, and what a classy ambassador for our program.

I don't think we have seen the last of your accolades. Chop wood and carry water - you are one tough stud. Well done!!!!
don't think he had a gray shirt as he was a true frosh. He spent his sr high school year at nlwc

Nick Lee has one of the all-time best gas tanks I've ever seen and watching him evolve as a wrestler was so much fun.
Yep. Nick certainly had a gas tank. Best of all time is Nico’s imo.

we will all miss nick Lee big time

Reactions: RB-Old
Most underraated & maybe most important performance of Nick Lee's PSU career:

2018 NCAAs.
Nolf w/ a torn knee.
Ohio State the favorite.
Every point matters.

As #8 seed, Nick Lee got decked in first round by Ryan Diehl.

What did Nick do next?

Beat Josh Alber
Beat Mason Smith
Beat Cole Weaver
Beat Tyler Smith
Beat SaDerian Perry
Beat 5-seed Kevin Jack for 5th.

Nick Lee scored 11.5 points on the back side.

PSU beat tOSU by 8 points in the team race.

Bo gets all the glory for his elevator vs Myles,
but PSU doesn't win that title without Nick Lee's guts & grit.

kudos to clarke for going for it

what’s amazing to me that past few years is the amount respect opponents gave nick lee to not get into scrambles with him, knowing they’d get hosed

Most underraated & maybe most important performance of Nick Lee's PSU career:

2018 NCAAs.
Nolf w/ a torn knee.
Ohio State the favorite.
Every point matters.

As #8 seed, Nick Lee got decked in first round by Ryan Diehl.

What did Nick do next?

Beat Josh Alber
Beat Mason Smith
Beat Cole Weaver
Beat Tyler Smith
Beat SaDerian Perry
Beat 5-seed Kevin Jack for 5th.

Nick Lee scored 11.5 points on the back side.

PSU beat tOSU by 8 points in the team race.

Bo gets all the glory for his elevator vs Myles,
but PSU doesn't win that title without Nick Lee's guts & grit.
great post! thank you

the best thing about his natty run was I got to see the scuffle with his shirt being taken and doing really well but making a simple mistake against Gfeller... then in Nattys sitting beside his mother's sister and talking wrestling with them and enjoying that journey!

Does he slot right in to the NLWC right away? I gotta imagine after his last FS showing that it's his next stop.

Nick does need help with one aspect.
In the interview right off the mat (all of which I hate to begin with) .. Nick made a joke, but said it with such a straight face, it went right by the announcer .. and probably most others.
He needs a comedy timing coach.

Nick is probably in my top 3 favorite PSU wrestlers of all time. Thanks for everything Nick. Hopefully PSU has many more wrestlers coming in with your wrestling style, work ethic and attitude. Congrats!

Nick does need help with one aspect.
In the interview right off the mat (all of which I hate to begin with) .. Nick made a joke, but said it with such a straight face, it went right by the announcer .. and probably most others.
He needs a comedy timing coach.
Nah, dry humor, following coach's lead.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
I have to admit coming in off a 'HS' grey shirt and quick on the heels of the Zain, Nolf, Bo dynasty, I have to admit I was frustrated at times durning Nick's freshman year. The Joey MCkenna match comes to mind.

Boy did he ever.

In the YouTube video that pish69 has for RBY, he pays Nick many compliments. RBY was asked, who was the best wrestlers that you were ever around at PSU. RBY said Nick Lee was probably the most underappreciated but best wrestler on the team. He said when he first wrestled NL at practice he could never get off bottom. He said people came to appreciate him more and see his elite talent at the Olympic trials, when he beat Zain and Yianni. I'm in that camp of not really knowing how elite Nick was until the OT. He has been a pleasure to watch and I'll always be grateful he wore a PSU singlet. Thanks Nick!

ADVERTISEMENT