ADVERTISEMENT

Nice article about Jordan Conaway's dad, who passed away

Wow. Terrific piece. I’ve personally witnessed 2 cases of early onset Alzheimer’s- honestly, it’s better for the family when they pass early because watching that deterioration is gut wrenching enough and just brutal for the caregivers

Glad he got to see his boy compete at the highest level. I’m sure those memories never left him

Sad news. I had the opportunity to meet the Conaways briefly when Penn State did their Western tour in CA a few years ago. They were friendly and down to earth people as you would expect. I also remember seeing Jordan sitting with them as I was leaving at the end of the CSU Bakersfield dual, and it was clear to me that he had a very close relationship with them. My prayers go out to the Conaway family.

I have known Dave forever, and got to know Jordan here at PSU. I missed the news of the passing, but my prayers now include Dave, Jackie and Jordan.
Dave did a lot of things really well, being a good father was definitely one of those things.

RIP Mr. Conaway. You were a great coach and a wise man.

Cael Sanderson is calling
With Sanderson on the line, Dave Conaway walked to Jordan's room, where he found his son on his cell phone.

"Jordan was on the phone with the head coach of Nebraska. I said 'Get off the phone right now with Nebraska. Cael Sanderson is calling for you!'" Dave Conaway said in an interview last week.

We sat next to the Conaway family at the 2016 Penn State Wrestling club banquet. Great family and you could see the love and pride they had for Jordan and the PSU wrestling team. The Conaway family is definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

With Sanderson on the line, Dave Conaway walked to Jordan's room, where he found his son on his cell phone.

"Jordan was on the phone with the head coach of Nebraska. I said 'Get off the phone right now with Nebraska. Cael Sanderson is calling for you!'" Dave Conaway said in an interview last week.

while reading the article, I couldn't help but think about that story. It was the first exposure most of us had had to Dave Conaway. And the story was repeated on this board quite a few times during and after Jordan's career at PSU. @El-Jefe must be off the board today, as he had a flair for integrating that story into many posts over the years.

Ha...yeah, remember that from Jordan's recruitment.

Talk about a kid and his family who were grateful for the opportunity.

Jordan turned out to be far more than a guy in the room, or an insurance policy at 125. He had success even at 133, when he probably could have been a champ at 118 if that weight had still been contested. The character and toughness that Jordan exhibited was a credit to him and his family. Sorry to hear of Mr. Conaway's decline and passing.

Last edited:
I think Jordan makes my top 5 favorite PSU wrestlers, and that is really saying something, isn’t it? His dad did an amazing job, my heart goes out to the family.

Now the rest of the story. Creamery Freak and I were waiting by the buffet line for the hall doors to open. Goal was to get close to center stage and grab a table and then wait for the rest of our gang to join us. While we were waiting, a gentleman approached us and told us that he thought we were sitting at a table that was reserved for he and his family. Neither Creamery Freak or I knew who he was and we apologized and moved to an adjacent table. While we were waiting for our party and he was waiting for his family we enjoyed a little chit-chat and learned of his identity. He was a very humble man as was Jordan when joined his table.

while reading the article, I couldn't help but think about that story. It was the first exposure most of us had had to Dave Conaway. And the story was repeated on this board quite a few times during and after Jordan's career at PSU. @El-Jefe must be off the board today, as he had a flair for integrating that story into many posts over the years.
Some stories are too good to not be retold. See also: the Mark Hall 4x NCAA Champ letter; Cael pushing corn dogs on Carter Starocci; etc.

And so Dave Conaway will always be a legendary figure among PSU Wrestling fans.

More importantly, husband and father. I didn't know him, but who Jordan is says everything about who Mr. Conaway was.

RIP, and deepest condolences to his survivors.

Sitting in front of him at the Scuffle one year, I got to listen to a master at work. During Jordan's match, Dave was calling out instructions that I'm not sure Jordan could hear from where we were, but Dave acted as though he could. I remember one of the things was so seemingly miniscule, but he was calling it out like it meant the difference in the match.

Later he overheard me talking about my boys at PSU, and said, "You don't look old enough to have college kids." I've loved that man ever since.

ADVERTISEMENT