ADVERTISEMENT

NHL Playoff Thread

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
I searched for a playoff thread, did not see one. Islanders looking good up 4-1 now on 2 great goals by Nelson and a bad play by Boston.

Last night I went to bed with Colorado up 2-0 in the 3rd, woke up and Vegas wins 3-2 in OT. Game 6 should be intriguing.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Buh-bye bruins. Islanders decided to beat up Mcavoy - Boston’s only elite defenseman and it worked.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I can't stand any NY team and was repulsed that I was forced to root for a team from Boston. Regardless, it was an entertaining series. Looks like the cream of the crop is TB and NYI.

i watched the Avs simply beat up on the Knights in the first period the other night. Complete domination. One mistake the the Knights get the momentum and win easily. Crazy game.

I'm a Flyer fan and had to pick some teams to pull for. Decided to root for Toronto to end their streak and b/c I like Austin Matthews. That didn't work out too well. I also decided that I'm ok with ANY team from Canada as long as it isn't Montreal. Strike 2! Decided to bail on NHL for the rest of the year and watch the Sixers....

I'm a Flyer fan and had to pick some teams to pull for. Decided to root for Toronto to end their streak and b/c I like Austin Matthews. That didn't work out too well. I also decided that I'm ok with ANY team from Canada as long as it isn't Montreal. Strike 2! Decided to bail on NHL for the rest of the year and watch the Sixers....
...adding that it is really weird to watch a game in the USA, with their full-throated fans, then watch a game in CA with an almost empty and quiet arena.

None of the four teams in the semifinals won their divisions.
First two rounds were teams playing against the same teams they played eight times during the regular season.

I can't stand any NY team and was repulsed that I was forced to root for a team from Boston. Regardless, it was an entertaining series. Looks like the cream of the crop is TB and NYI.

i watched the Avs simply beat up on the Knights in the first period the other night. Complete domination. One mistake the the Knights get the momentum and win easily. Crazy game.

Price of Canadiens MVP halfway through Stanley Cup Playoffs

Goalie who has Montreal in Semifinals favored among NHL.com voters

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
10:00 AM
cut.jpg

Carey Price is the most valuable player at the midpoint of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
The Montreal Canadiens goalie received 37 of a possible 45 points from a panel of 15 NHL.com staff members.
Price was named first on 11 ballots and appeared on 13. No other player appeared on more than nine ballots.
At the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final, a panel of voters from the Professional Hockey Writers' Association selects the playoff MVP, who receives the Conn Smythe Trophy.
Price has been the focal point of the Canadiens' surprising run to the Stanley Cup Semifinals, where the No. 4 seed from the Scotia North Division will play the Vegas Golden Knights, the No. 2 seed from the Honda West Division.

cut.jpg

Price shuts out Jets in Game 2​

• 02:07 • June 4th, 2021

Game 1 of the best-of-7 series is at Vegas on Monday (9 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS).
Price, who has won seven straight starts, is 8-3 with a 1.97 goals-against average and .935 save percentage, which is best among the 24 goalies who have played this postseason.
"[Price] is solid; he's really in the zone and wants to win," Montreal forward Phillip Danault said. "He gives us a chance to win every game. He gives us wings."
Price was the only Canadiens player to receive a vote.
Tampa Bay Lightning forward Nikita Kucherov was second with 16 points and two-first-place votes. Golden Knights goalie Marc-Andre Fleury was third with 15 points. Kucherov was one of four Lightning to earn a vote: goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy (6), forward Brayden Point (3) and defenseman Victor Hedman (1).
The Lightning, the No. 3 seed from the Discover Central Division, play the New York Islanders, the No. 4 seed from the MassMutual East. Game 1 is at Tampa Bay on Sunday (3 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS).
Kucherov, who missed the entire regular season recovering from hip surgery, has scored 18 points (five goals, 13 assists) in 11 playoff games. He scored 34 points (seven goals, 27 assists) in 25 games when the Lightning won the Stanley Cup last season.
This postseason, he has scored at least one point in 10 of the 11 games and has five multipoint games. Thirteen points have come on the power play.
"He's a special talent and he can play the game different ways, but he just makes plays at high rates of speed," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. "Can you make plays under duress and really make a power play go? Then, the big X-factor for me is, [can you] get big goals at big moments? He seems to check all those boxes."

cut.jpg

Kucherov's four-point game​

• 02:34 • May 22nd, 2021

Fleury is 8-4 with a 1.91 GAA and .923 save percentage. His GAA is second among 2021 playoff goalies behind Jack Campbell of the Toronto Maple Leafs (1.81). In the second round against the Colorado Avalanche, Fleury won the final four games, allowing a total of eight goals.
"He had an incredible year," Vegas coach Peter DeBoer said. "We wouldn't have had the record we had; we wouldn't be here without the year he had. You have to take your hat off to him. He faced some adversity there last year (losing playing time after Robin Lehner was acquired in a trade). Instead of laying down, he showed up in camp and fought and battled. Turned it into what I think should be a Vezina Trophy.
"In typical Marc-Andre fashion, I congratulated him today [on being nominated] and he immediately talked about it being a team award and how well the team played in front of him, but you can't overlook his contributions to what we're doing and the season he had."
Results (3-2-1 voting): Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens, 37 points (11 first-place votes); Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay Lightning, 16 (2); Marc-Andre Fleury, Vegas Golden Knights, 15; Mark Stone, Golden Knights, 7 (1); Andrei Vasilevskiy, Lightning, 6 (1); Brayden Point, Lightning, 3; Alex Pietrangelo, Golden Knights, 3; Victor Hedman, Lightning, 1; Brock Nelson, New York Islanders, 1; Mathew Barzal, Islanders, 1.

Reactions: Obliviax
And only one No 2 team, the LV Knights, is still in. So only one team with home ice in first round is in.
Tampa Bay might have been a No. 1 seed if it didn't hold Kucherov out the entire season because of injury and then bring him back for the playoffs. Of course, that allowed the Lightning to exceed the salary cap by $18 million and sign more good players.

What a terrible call against Tampa. Bolts player gets cross-checked into the Islander goalie and the ref calls goalie interference. NY scores on the PP and ties the game at 1.

What a terrible call against Tampa. Bolts player gets cross-checked into the Islander goalie and the ref calls goalie interference. NY scores on the PP and ties the game at 1.
Refs make up for bad call with another bad call, allowing Tampa goal despite having 6 skaters on the ice.

Well Canadiens get the the series clinching win in OT. My how that series changed with the one snafu that has seemingly made one poster very happy.

While I wouldn’t mind the Canadiens in general winning another cup since they are way ahead of everyone and won’t be caught in my lifetime, it would make for a poor representative for the NHL to have their champ have a losing regular season record. Shows the value of the regular season.

But then the choice is either NYI or TB. Nothing really distasteful about the Isles, but my Pens have a 5-1 to 4-1 lead on them for cups. Can’t pull for them.

As for TB, probably the best team, but not as difficult to do when taking advantage of the salary cap loophole. A win would put them at 3-1.

Well Canadiens get the the series clinching win in OT. My how that series changed with the one snafu that has seemingly made one poster very happy.

While I wouldn’t mind the Canadiens in general winning another cup since they are way ahead of everyone and won’t be caught in my lifetime, it would make for a poor representative for the NHL to have their champ have a losing regular season record. Shows the value of the regular season.

But then the choice is either NYI or TB. Nothing really distasteful about the Isles, but my Pens have a 5-1 to 4-1 lead on them for cups. Can’t pull for them.

As for TB, probably the best team, but not as difficult to do when taking advantage of the salary cap loophole. A win would put them at 3-1.

And, I wanted to trade Fleury for Price straight-up right after the Pens won the Cup against Detroit.

Can you imagine how that would have changed (for the better) Pens playoff history??

WOW!!

Reactions: BVSt.Paul

Montreal was 24 - 21 - 11 during the regular season. Not a good record by any means but not bad when you consider they replaced their coach part of the way through and had some big names out for extended time….I grew up liking Montreal. There were only 6 teams when I was a kid so I picked the best one. Would love to see them win the Cup. They seem like a tight group without any knuckleheads. Good mix of vets and young guys.

Go Habs. Not a fan of TB to begin with and the loop hole they have used with the salary doesn’t sit well with many non-TB fans.

What the NHL & the owners did to make the Las Vegas Golden knights this successful doesn't sit well with me.

Do you now that all teams EXCEPT the Golden Knights have to abide by the entry rules for the Seattle Kraken to raid players from other teams this year?

Reactions: bison13 and wex18
What the NHL & the owners did to make the Las Vegas Golden knights this successful doesn't sit well with me.

Do you now that all teams EXCEPT the Golden Knights have to abide by the entry rules for the Seattle Kraken to raid players from other teams this year?
Geez, they were tied for the top # of regular season points.

Lightning not impressed with Carey Price’s gold medal. 5 goals against. Ouch! :rolleyes:

Let me infuse some MAF jock-sniffing past Penguin supporters excuses:

1. He had no defensive help.
2. You can't expect him to win them all.
3. He was screened on several shots.
4. One goal was a power-play goal so he was at a disadvantage.
5. You're just a hater!

:):):) ;) ;) ;) :):):)

Amazing that the player that sat out the whole regular season with injury is leaving the playoffs in points. 🙄

Reactions: bison13
Let me infuse some MAF jock-sniffing past Penguin supporters excuses:

1. He had no defensive help.
2. You can't expect him to win them all.
3. He was screened on several shots.
4. One goal was a power-play goal so he was at a disadvantage.
5. You're just a hater!

:):):) ;) ;) ;) :):):)
Price is the luckiest goalie ever. :p

Nope!

Price is worth his weight in gold sir! Olympic gold!!

:p

MAF is now working a a valet car-parker at The Wynn & Encore!!

And I used to work there!!
Well, there isn’t much gold in a gold medal. So, maybe he is worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT