ADVERTISEMENT

NFL tv ratings took a massive hit... what do you do if you are owners to try and increase ratings?

Interesting, but you could ask my wife and my best friend and they would tell you that, as far as your posit applies to me, you could not be more wrong.

You highlighted two groups of two sentences in two different ways, so I'm not sure with which group you take issue. Are you claiming that none of the other things made you think about the "real world"? Or are you claiming that you agree with the general subject matter in the most recent real-world reminder, but still take issue with it as a reminder, to the point where you'll walk away as a spectator?

You highlighted two groups of two sentences in two different ways, so I'm not sure with which group you take issue. Are you claiming that none of the other things made you think about the "real world"? Or are you claiming that you agree with the most recent real-world reminder, but still take issue with it, to the point where you'll walk away as a spectator?
It occurs to me you are sincere.... we disagree. We'll both move along.

I agree. Sports were once an escape from reality. I could watch a game and, for 3 hours, I could forget about the cares of the world. Now that diversion is gone. Left, right, center....I don't care what some millionaire ballplayer thinks about anything. Play the game and, if you must make a statement, do it outside the lines. I doubt that will happen and so I will find my diversion elsewhere. In a book. In a chess game. In a long walk in the woods.
Why do so many here find this so hard to understand? It is no more or less complicated than what you've stated above.

The NFL owners will be fine. They always pay themselves first. They will just reduce the player's salary cap. The players are the ones that need to take notice.
I didn’t watch any games for the first time in my life. I hope it gets so bad, every pro athlete goes broke, and have to go looking for real jobs!

I’ve simply lost interest in sports generally. I can’t relate any longer to the players. I used to see Elroy Face a 19 game winner as a reliever in my hometown of McKeesport working as a carpenter off season. Lambert dated a friend of mine and Ham and Mike Wagner were customers of mine working in their offseason . Roy Gerella practiced Kicking at my high school . Swann had Steelers tickets near mine. Nice man with a nice family. Not name dropping so much as conveying relatability or them being somewhat regular guys. I don’t get that vibe any longer. Arnold Palmer was wealthy beyond measure but he came across as an Everyman. Im not jealous of their wealth. My feeling is if a person can get rich without sticking a needle in someone’s arm or gun in their face I’m good. That said my sense is that the refuge of sports is fading for a segment of the population and the introduction of politics is probably hastening it along a bit.

Don't want a political shouting match, but was just thinking if I am an NFL owner if those tv ratings numbers hold they are in for a world of hurt. If you were an NFL owner what would you do at some point if these rating numbers hold? Just curious to hear how people would attempt to increase numbers as some ratings numbers were down 15 to almost 30%...

Since when can a 3% decline be defined as "MASSIVE"?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-sunday-sept-13-2020

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
All of these sports leagues f’d up. They altered their presentations to appease the vocal minority of idiots who dominate social media by yelling the loudest. The problem is that these same people don’t actually watch their programming. They just pretend to be offended by it, and then move on to something else to “fix” when they grow bored of it.

The other 99% of the population, who comprise their actual viewership, are completely turned off by all of this incessant social justice messaging. Their customers are tuning out in droves.

Professional sports leagues have strongly overestimated their value to the general public. They assumed that the public’s appetite was so voracious that they would accept whatever sh!t they were shoveling. The NBA and NFL ratings tell the tale. Get woke go broke...

Don't want a political shouting match, but was just thinking if I am an NFL owner if those tv ratings numbers hold they are in for a world of hurt. If you were an NFL owner what would you do at some point if these rating numbers hold? Just curious to hear how people would attempt to increase numbers as some ratings numbers were down 15 to almost 30%...
Surprised? Look at the NBA. Product is not good and too many social statements being made. That’s not what we want from the NFL. Like they say “Not For Long“. It’s been gone for me since the chargers bolted SD several years ago. I was a season ticket holder and disgusted with them and city as a result. All about TV market, money, suites... hoping SoFi stays empty. And they continue to hand out ridiculous salaries.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Yes, you'd think everyone would be busting it up to find a tv and watch sports... ANY sports.

Those I talk with are pretty much all in lock step... lost interest as the covid fiasco escalated. When the league went all political, that pretty much sealed the deal and most of my group could care less. I personally didn't watch a single down last and didn't miss it.

As to CFB... that, too, has issues... the stunted season... the realization that covid regs could decimate teams, where just a positive test result -- no symptoms -- gets ur star player(s) booted for at least 2 games... plus no practice... iow, 3+ games lost or ineffective.

By year's end, the season could be a dumpster fire (a covid resurgence surely shuts everything down)... and the last team standing will likely be the one least affected by covid and deeper than the rest (so they can withstand some loss of key players). Again, hard to get invested in a scenario subject to so much flux.

Perhaps if the B1G gets going and PSU is on the field, I will feel differently. Fngers crossed, because this malaise I'm experiencing sux.

But in general, I don't watch sports aside from old psu games on youtube lol.
Trying not to get political or condescending but I am reading your post and I would assume that most of your friends are middle aged to 50 year old white men. So yeah they probably are fatigued. I know I am fatigued with the social justice campaign. Which is why it is probably needed. The issues faced by these young black men in the nfl are not faced by my demographic. Kind of like how I can only take about 10 minutes of my 9 year old niece and her obsession with tiktok. I’m not sure where the line is with a movement and getting down to the business at hand. Obviously here it’s football. No easy answers here.

Trying not to get political or condescending but I am reading your post and I would assume that most of your friends are middle aged to 50 year old white men. So yeah they probably are fatigued. I know I am fatigued with the social justice campaign. Which is why it is probably needed. The issues faced by these young black men in the nfl are not faced by my demographic. Kind of like how I can only take about 10 minutes of my 9 year old niece and her obsession with tiktok. I’m not sure where the line is with a movement and getting down to the business at hand. Obviously here it’s football. No easy answers here.
yep.

The goal and end game is equal treatment for all people. Not too much different than for MLK. Things progressed due to his activism and hopefully things will progress further after the current activism.
If I knew what causes this to end, I would certainly tell the world about it.
Maybe they will implement some laws to make sure there is equal treatment....oh wait. Never mind that, but maybe they will implement some programs that make sure minorities get preferential treatment for some employment opportunities and they could call it affirmative action....oh wait. Never mind that, maybe they could come up with some laws that give minorities a leg up on getting into colleges....oh wait. Forget all those things and every other law on the books, let’s just say there’s inequality and riot about it. We’ll just keep complaining about the 9 unarmed black men killed by police in 2019 out of 11 million arrests....yeah, that proves inequality.

Maybe they will implement some laws to make sure there is equal treatment....oh wait. Never mind that, but maybe they will implement some programs that make sure minorities get preferential treatment for some employment opportunities and they could call it affirmative action....oh wait. Never mind that, maybe they could come up with some laws that give minorities a leg up on getting into colleges....oh wait. Forget all those things and every other law on the books, let’s just say there’s inequality and riot about it. We’ll just keep complaining about the 9 unarmed black men killed by police in 2019 out of 11 million arrests....yeah, that proves inequality.
Again I don’t want to sound condescending to you but you are sounding like a person who feels THEY already got enough. But there in lies the problem. It’s not they. If you aren’t upset by one person getting killed by a cop then you this issue is over your head. No one should die. And yes people make mistakes. Good cops make mistakes. But in the hear and now a group of Americans feels there is an issue. Don’t attack that issue by bringing up policies that don’t relate to unarmed people getting shot by cops. That’s the issue on the table...for the most part. And try to see them as people not not black people.

For me, I watched because I just love sports, especially the nfl. I can understand that if sports become too serious, people will tune out. Life is too difficult right now with pandemic, fires, recession, political drama on both sides, riots, hurricanes, etc to have to deal with serious subjects in sports. Heck, I drive home from work yesterday evening in eastern Pa and the sun and sky look like hellfire is approaching because evidently the west coast fires send smoke this far east in the upper atmosphere. Everything has a weird feel right now. If sports become serious then people will binge netflix instead, or take a walk with the family or whatever instead.

Reactions: MrDibbs
Again I don’t want to sound condescending to you but you are sounding like a person who feels THEY already got enough. But there in lies the problem. It’s not they. If you aren’t upset by one person getting killed by a cop then you this issue is over your head. No one should die. And yes people make mistakes. Good cops make mistakes. But in the hear and now a group of Americans feels there is an issue. Don’t attack that issue by bringing up policies that don’t relate to unarmed people getting shot by cops. That’s the issue on the table...for the most part. And try to see them as people not not black people.
There were more unarmed white people killed by cops than black people, so no, the issue is not over my head you condescending prick. You’re right, no one should die, but when you’re dealing with human beings as cops, mistakes will happen and that’s not a black/white thing, that’s a human being thing. If the issue is people getting shot by cops then the poster should have said that, not unequal treatment for minorities. People need to separate inequality of opportunities with inequality of results...unfortunately, many today don’t do that.

I think it's a big jump, a very big jump, to assume ratings decline is politically motivated with exactly zero proof. Anyone can write a freaking article saying so.
Yes, anyone can write an article stating whatever they feel.....so I ask myself what has changed to precipitate such drastic decline in viewership. For me it is definitely the political agenda pushed at every chance and incredibly one sided. You obviously disagree so please enlighten me to your reason for the huge drop in TV ratings.

One of my pet peaves with the NFL and sports in general these days is the number and length of the commercial breaks. Nothing drives more more crazy that to see a team score, have the network go to a long commercial break, have the kickoff, then roll to another long commercial break. Then they might run one play, the quarter ends and it's off to another break.

This is something the NFL can easily address by mandating the number of commercial breaks the networks are allowed to take during a game as well as their length. And yea, I know that's what DVRs were invented for and sometimes I will watch a game on DVR delay for that reason, but if its a game/team I'm interested in, I like to watch them live.

Reactions: Madsol and BBrown
Yes, anyone can write an article stating whatever they feel.....so I ask myself what has changed to precipitate such drastic decline in viewership. For me it is definitely the political agenda pushed at every chance and incredibly one sided. You obviously disagree so please enlighten me to your reason for the huge drop in TV ratings.
Cannot believe people don't get the point. The ratings went down several years ago and back then there were arguments made about the cause but no one knew - it was all just guessing. Hell, big screen TVs were a primary proposed cause of it. Why do you and so many others assume that just because ratings went down in one week it is because of political reasons? That is a better question to ask. Any theories are unprovable, just like last time ratings went down, but so many of you are now saying authoritatively it is because of politics. And none of you know.

Reactions: BBrown
You’re arguing with the same people who fought tooth and nail that ratings didn’t drop back when Kap started the taking a knee crap. They’re blaming commercials, officiating, and everything else they could think of even though all that stuff was the same the previous year, the only difference was Kap, but that wasn’t the cause. They’ll never admit that people will tune out due to political stuff.

Reactions: Ski and JustinTyme
Cannot believe people don't get the point. The ratings went down several years ago and back then there were arguments made about the cause but no one knew - it was all just guessing. Hell, big screen TVs were a primary proposed cause of it. Why do you and so many others assume that just because ratings went down in one week it is because of political reasons? That is a better question to ask. Any theories are unprovable, just like last time ratings went down, but so many of you are now saying authoritatively it is because of politics. And none of you know.
Last time it went down because of Kap...nothing else changed, so it was pretty easy to figure out for normal thinking people.

The issues faced by these young black men in the nfl are not faced by my demographic.
Exactly what issues do the young black men in the NFL face? BMW or Mercedes? When do I stop smoking pot to avoid a positive test? Which mansion in what neighborhood do I buy?

I have no problem with anyone who wants to make a difference in the community and the world. Activism can be a great thing for a just cause, but there are more effective ways to promote a better world and a better country than dragging politics into an entertainment venue. The main problem IMO with the current issue is that there is a disconnect between the real issue of racial profiling, (a legitimate problem), on one hand, and the rioting , burning, looting and violence on the other hand. Your average NFL fan finds it hard to support the later and distinguish between the positive and negative current activism.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is so many of us have learned to move on from centering our off time around TV sports that we are not in a hurry to return. We've learned that life without sports isn't so bad.
I agree with this. I’d also add that youth sports are cranking back up after a long pause and folks aren’t spending a Sunday afternoon plopped down in front of a tv. There’s a ton of sports dads constantly checking their phones at these Sunday tournaments but they’re not watching games. They’re checking for updates on their fantasy teams.

OK, I'll take some heat here because I'm the outlier. I realize that this is a character flaw but I have no problem compartmentalizing what is going on in a football game. First, I never really see the National Anthem when I watch NFL games. I tune in at 1 PM and the kickoffs are usually taking place very close to that time. Yes, I'm aware of all the other things (you guys write pages and pages about them) but I can dissociate them from the game. As for announcer pontification during the game, I hear it but don't place much weight in it so I'm usually checking other things or simply just listening. If I don't agree, I don't get too excited about it - many people have differing opinions than I do; it's OK. I tend to care more about a player's performance than their political stance. Again, I realize that this makes me a weirdo. That's nothing I didn't already know. I just like football for football's sake so ...
341793d1437604732-forum-game-youre-banned-being-there-03a.jpg

Reactions: BBrown
Exactly what issues do the young black men in the NFL face? BMW or Mercedes? When do I stop smoking pot to avoid a positive test? Which mansion in what neighborhood do I buy?

I have no problem with anyone who wants to make a difference in the community and the world. Activism can be a great thing for a just cause, but there are more effective ways to promote a better world and a better country than dragging politics into an entertainment venue. The main problem IMO with the current issue is that there is a disconnect between the real issue of racial profiling, (a legitimate problem), on one hand, and the rioting , burning, looting and violence on the other hand. Your average NFL fan finds it hard to support the later.
well said. I'd also like some leaders in the community to take some ownership of the problem. While I can accept that many of the problems in the community are external (read racism) it isn't going to change much until internal problems are also addressed. For example, when people see BLM activists harassing diners or 'ro make an incendiary comment, that makes it even more likely that people of other races would want to avoid them. This is where MLK was coming from with his form of activism. We don't have this problem with other races (Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese). And the rest of the world has racism problems as well (so it isn't just the USA's history of slavery, which, BTW, is also shared with the rest of the world). So what is it?

So I am much more willing to invest in programs to help minorities and inner cities if I see those leaders also invest in the rebuilding effort in terms of money and setting standards). I've seen cities like Youngstown and Toledo rebuilt three different times. I see great inner cities like Manhattan and Chicago set back ten years. The USA has thrown money at this problem for decades and here we are with, seemingly, little to no improvement since the 60's.

OK, I'll take some heat here because I'm the outlier. I realize that this is a character flaw but I have no problem compartmentalizing what is going on in a football game. First, I never really see the National Anthem when I watch NFL games. I tune in at 1 PM and the kickoffs are usually taking place very close to that time. Yes, I'm aware of all the other things (you guys write pages and pages about them) but I can dissociate them from the game. As for announcer pontification during the game, I hear it but don't place much weight in it so I'm usually checking other things or simply just listening. If I don't agree, I don't get too excited about it - many people have differing opinions than I do; it's OK. I tend to care more about a player's performance than their political stance. Again, I realize that this makes me a weirdo. That's nothing I didn't already know. I just like football for football's sake so ...
341793d1437604732-forum-game-youre-banned-being-there-03a.jpg
Nothing wrong with this approach. I watch the games with former PSU players and try to ignore the other stuff.

You’re arguing with the same people who fought tooth and nail that ratings didn’t drop back when Kap started the taking a knee crap. They’re blaming commercials, officiating, and everything else they could think of even though all that stuff was the same the previous year, the only difference was Kap, but that wasn’t the cause. They’ll never admit that people will tune out due to political stuff.

I, personally, did not fight tooth and nail because it just wasn't that big a deal with me but I can tell you 100% that the reason my NFL viewing tapered off is exactly because of officiating, commercials, the flow of the game and some of the constant blathering of the announcing crew during the game. I also know that is the exact reason that members of my family and friends also stopped watching a lot of football. It really didn't have anything to do with Kap or kneeling.

Reactions: psrurock
One of my pet peaves with the NFL and sports in general these days is the number and length of the commercial breaks. Nothing drives more more crazy that to see a team score, have the network go to a long commercial break, have the kickoff, then roll to another long commercial break. Then they might run one play, the quarter ends and it's off to another break.

This is something the NFL can easily address by mandating the number of commercial breaks the networks are allowed to take during a game as well as their length. And yea, I know that's what DVRs were invented for and sometimes I will watch a game on DVR delay for that reason, but if its a game/team I'm interested in, I like to watch them live.

+1

Way to many commercials - poor product for the most part and idiotic announcers make it hard to watch - "Wentz badly over threw his receiver" - no sh&t I have eyes Captain Obvious I just saw it but thanks for helping out what I can only assume is blind people watching the telecast.

I, personally, did not fight tooth and nail because it just wasn't that big a deal with me but I can tell you 100% that the reason my NFL viewing tapered off is exactly because of officiating, commercials, the flow of the game and some of the constant blathering of the announcing crew during the game. I also know that is the exact reason that members of my family and friends also stopped watching a lot of football. It really didn't have anything to do with Kap or kneeling.
You and your family just happened to stop watching the same time Kap started his garbage....coincidence.

You and your family just happened to stop watching the same time Kap started his garbage....coincidence.

As for the when my viewership declined I NEVER said it happened at the same time Kap started kneeling it was declining before that. But his kneeling didn't skew it one way or the other. Sorry if that blows a whole in your "theory".

They will down. Oh well. Those not watching will find other things to do.

Plus it's the first time the NFL had to compete with the NBA, NHL, etc. The opening night game was not close and closer games have better ratings.

Black Lives Matters is not going away. Plus Sports will always be political. Either you embrace, ignore it, or just find something else to do.

I think you're right that moving forward sports will be political. I think that's because the players have so much more power than they ever did. I don't remember hearing about players actively speaking against Vietnam. Or Apartheid. Or AIDS in the 80s. Obviously they didn't have the media platform they do today. But those were major social issues in their day. Maybe players had strong feelings about those issues but didn't feel they could voice them. Now they do. Time will tell whether that's a good thing or not.

I did not read, but are these just straight up traditional "ratings" as in people who had their TV on and turned to ESPN/CBS/Fox? I can watch the games on my Roku streaming and most streaming entities are loathe to ever give out any sort of viewer numbers to the public. People who are under say 30 are not going to be watching their sports by turning in on traditional TV/cable, most of them stream their content online, they may be watching on something that is a "TV" but they are not "watching TV" per-say.

I did not read, but are these just straight up traditional "ratings" as in people who had their TV on and turned to ESPN/CBS/Fox? I can watch the games on my Roku streaming and most streaming entities are loathe to ever give out any sort of viewer numbers to the public. People who are under say 30 are not going to be watching their sports by turning in on traditional TV/cable, most of them stream their content online, they may be watching on something that is a "TV" but they are not "watching TV" per-say.

That is an excellent point but its not just people under 30. Many have cut the TV portion of the Cable and are using different streaming services. I would like to know how that is factored in because I bet that number is more substantial than many of us think.

My desire to watch any sports has been waning for years. I really do not care what any player does a few minutes before the game. The Covid thing has just accelerated it for me. My wife has been insisting that we watch some live sports only because I think it gives her a feeling of normalcy. I am not even that excited about Penn State football this year. I will probably watch but if I have better things to do, I will do those other things.

I have been feeling for years that too much emphasis in our society is placed on sports (yes I know the irony of posting on FB messageboard). Many posts on this board only solidifies that feeling. In addition, the emphasis on kid's sports is out of control. Sports was a terrible experience for my daughter who was not very athletic was treated very poorly by teammates and sometimes even coaches. It has been mixed for my son who is average athletically. He rarely got to play with some of his friends in the neighborhood because they were away almost every weekend playing travel soccer. One of the dad's one time was lamenting to me that the kids in the neighborhood never get together and play pickup sports like when we were kids. I bit tongue because I wanted to mention to him that if they were not away every single weekend playing travel soccer then maybe the kids would have some unsupervised play time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mile High Lion
That is an excellent point but its not just people under 30. Many have cut the TV portion of the Cable and are using different streaming services. I would like to know how that is factored in because I bet that number is more substantial than many of us think.

It also seems that one of the activities that many have been doing while home from Covid is cutting the cord, as they realize they can get 90% of their content they were getting from cable thru the streaming services they already use, or thru much more affordable routes via streaming (Youtube TV for example)

ADVERTISEMENT