ADVERTISEMENT

NFL tv ratings took a massive hit... what do you do if you are owners to try and increase ratings?

Why were they playing the anthem before every game anyway? Faux displays of patriotism always ring hollow- do away with them.

If you want to prove your patriotism, enlist- millions have before you, and if you didn't when you had your chance, don't whine about it now and don't condemn others for doing as little as you have.

I don't think there is much they can do assuming the decline is because of all the kneeling/protest stuff, and that is my assumption. The NBA is a player driven league and has been for a few years where they have power over who the coach is and can team up with a few other stars to move to a team that can compete for a championship. Apparently the NFL is too except they have more salary cap restrictions. Anyways, if the NBA and NFL players want these messages out that's the way it's going to be and they will tell the owners to pound sand. That's where the momentum is with this issue and I don't think the players care about ratings. To them it is worth it. They might not like it when there is less money to go around but the players aren't thinking about that now.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Some of you had better be careful what you wish for. With today's NFL all about lame virtue signaling, they'll have some of those hefty BLM protester chicks with blue hair and hairy underarms out there dancing around, not the cheerleaders you're all envisioning. Think how those images would effect wing sales at Dave and Buster's!

What I would do is gather all the owners, players, and refs together in a large auditorium and pop in a tape of the NFL during their heyday from the '70s into the '90s. How about not calling every damn play a penalty? Maybe get rid of instant replay once again. Recall that there was instant replay for a season or two, then sometime in the early-mid 90s it was dropped, only to be brought back again.

Again, watch the film during those glory days. Let. Them. Play. Let. Them. Hit. Stop friggin' showboating after every good play.

I can go on and on..

Not sure ... I think many on both sides are getting just tired of the political vitriol being spewed daily and sports was an escape for many and now that has turned political. So as the article I just read said America took a knee and bowed out from watch more political hot spots. I know many who did not watch because they are tired of the political hate from both sides, and said they will find other things to do with their time. Add in a the next generation growing up already doesn't watch sports if I am a NFL or any pro sport team owner I am concerned going forward.
Edit: with everyone tired of Covid and being quarantined I thought numbers would have been up actually or hold steady not drop that large amounts.

giphy.gif

Reactions: JustinTyme
Why were they playing the anthem before every game anyway? Faux displays of patriotism always ring hollow- do away with them.

If you want to prove your patriotism, enlist- millions have before you, and if you didn't when you had your chance, don't whine about it now and don't condemn others for doing as little as you have.
I watched some soccer, that isn’t unique.

Chicken in every pot?

Seriously, what happens if teams just stay in the locker room till right before kickoff? Back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, I remember coaches at lower levels holding there team back right before big games. Especially if the team was loaded with underclassmen. Just a random thought.

https://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events

Which is something I've been shouting since this whole thing began several years ago.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
I don't really care for politics either when I watch sports. It is an escape.
There are certain people who don't want it because they don't want to hear opinions they don't agree with.
But so far as there are NO politics at all either way, I am all for it.

As for the NFL, there is lots of reasons other than that I don't watch.

Announcers always trying to be funny. There is nothing more annoying than Chris Berman or the cheesy graphics that are trying to be funny. This isn't a fricken comedy show. It is a breath of fresh air to watch English football shows because there are analysts just speaking in a no BS way about the game and tactics. it is always a clown show, no thanks.

Just the whole over-the-topness about it. College generally has that but there is heart and tradition there. It is as if Fox doesn't really believe people want to watch the game so they need dancing robots and people yelling all the damn time.

Way too many commercials.

too many odd calls that I just can't understand anymore.

All of the personal stories that I don't give a damn about. Its like when you watch the cooking shows and everyone had cancer or was out of a car accident. I am like, fine, but i came here for the cooking.

Honestly, I grew up as a Steelers fan, but I have a hard time getting behind Ben Rothlesberger. He is a scumbag.
I always hold my enthusiasm for the Steelers because of him, but damnit he wont fricken retire.
All good.
A few more:

Too many delays and disputed calls.

Too much hot doggin showin off, massive egos.

People learned to do other things. Record sales of bicycles, kayaks, canoes, RVs, golf equipment, camping gear. People just learned football ain’t all that.

And ratings were down last year. So if ratings are down another 15-30% from last year, that is a serious problem

Don't want a political shouting match, but was just thinking if I am an NFL owner if those tv ratings numbers hold they are in for a world of hurt. If you were an NFL owner what would you do at some point if these rating numbers hold? Just curious to hear how people would attempt to increase numbers as some ratings numbers were down 15 to almost 30%...
The NFL should hire Gillette to help them with an ad campaign that targets the systemic toxic masculinity problem in the United States. Maybe start serving soy burgers at games. Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Last edited:
1. Allowing players and commentators to interject their political opinions into the NFL product and messaging. Big Mistake. Corporations to not let their employees interfere with this; do this and you will mostly likely be fired. Who cares what the announcers political views are. We want to watch skilled athletes perform in a game that we have grown to love.
2. Godell is a total joke...a pimple on Rozelle's butt. Often companies decline when the next CEO is not as talented ...but in this case they moved to an idiot. What decesions has Godell made that made any sense.
3. NFL has over the past years keeps moving away from their customers/target audience. As many on this board have mentioned, they do not understand why people watch the games.

IMHO in order to get back: 1) stop the politics: and silence the players and the announcers and the pre-game guys...get the control of the messaging you want to rebuild your brand; 2) Owners need to replace Godell with someone with half a brain; and some of the owners need to also be replaced. 3) understand who was their target audience and fashion marketing to win them back.

I want more kneeling. Not only at the start of the game but also on the sidelines while play is going on. And occasional sideline TV shots to confirm said kneeling is going on. That, and the naked cheerleader thing Ranger Dan suggested. :cool:

Did Atheists get all fired up when DJ Dozier was taking a knee in prayer after his TDs? (Maybe it’s a yes, but they didn’t have Twitter or forums as a platform to complain about it)

More back to the original point of the thread, isn’t just bad business as in general to get your business involved in potentially divisive political/social issues? What sense does it make to potentially drive away large segments of your customers/audience? Comedians are a great example of this. There are many comedians that I find funny, but their acts go so far into political issues, that I chose not to watch.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself.

The past 6, 7 years or so, I used to watch the night games (Thursday, Sunday, Monday) and golf Sunday afternoon. Before that, I watched any time NFL was on TV, never missed an Eagles game.

I used to love watching Hard Knocks to get ready for the season. After the 3rd or 4th episode this year, I had enough of the nonsense. I'm still golfing, but I haven't watched a single down of NFL football, have no idea what happened in any game this past weekend, and don't plan to watch any time soon.

At this point, I'd rather watch reruns of Love It Or List It with my wife than be subjected to this crap by choice.

This past Saturday was the first time I turned on ESPN since the College football championship game last season. It gets worse every year.

Don't want a political shouting match, but was just thinking if I am an NFL owner if those tv ratings numbers hold they are in for a world of hurt. If you were an NFL owner what would you do at some point if these rating numbers hold? Just curious to hear how people would attempt to increase numbers as some ratings numbers were down 15 to almost 30%...

They will down. Oh well. Those not watching will find other things to do.

Plus it's the first time the NFL had to compete with the NBA, NHL, etc. The opening night game was not close and closer games have better ratings.

Black Lives Matters is not going away. Plus Sports will always be political. Either you embrace, ignore it, or just find something else to do.

More back to the original point of the thread, isn’t just bad business as in general to get your business involved in potentially divisive political/social issues? What sense does it make to potentially drive away large segments of your customers/audience? Comedians are a great example of this. There are many comedians that I find funny, but their acts go so far in to political issues, that I chose not to watch.

Good point how can one stop it? If they ban it, there will be player boycott or something of that nature. Plus there is no stopping them on twitter.

I think part of the problem is so many of us have learned to move on from centering our off time around TV sports that we are not in a hurry to return. We've learned that life without sports isn't so bad.

^^^this. Also add to it, for most fans of all sports it was an escape. A few hours to just relax and enjoy something and not bring politics into it. Now that is over...

Me, I think it is completely idiotic to stop watching sports because some people kneel at the start of the National Anthem. Totally idiotic and closed-minded. Can't imagine what other things people stop doing for some completely inconsequential reason.
Not saying that is the case with you. There are valid reasons to ratchet-down sports viewing - but kneeling players is not one of them.
seems like a lot of people disagree with you... they"re not watching

Nascar isn't exactly in the same situation. They are making a political statement one way or the other by allowing a traitor flag to be flown EVERYWHERE at their events. That in an of itself is a statement. And if you have to fall on the side of being a patriot or being a traitor loser, you take patriot single time.
NASCAR has banned the confederate flag at all of their events.

I quit watching the NFL a few years ago. Epiphany -
What a way to piss away a beautiful Fall afternoon! Mostly commercials.
And the worst commercials - "coming up after the game! (Bang!) (Muzzle flash)..." - violent show made by the hypocrites in Hollywood.

I threw my TV out in 2016 and don't miss it a bit. Hobbies! I do use my wife's to watch a few college games.

I know many people that walked away from the NFL back when the protests started a few years ago ad they haven't come back.

I also think that Fantasy Football has had the opposite effect than was expected. I think it keeps younger people from becoming fans. They just want to know how their players did.

Many of the ones who threatened to tune out originally over the protests actually have now.

Agree on Fantasy. I have never been much of an NFL guy, but I tend to follow through the app and keep up with my players than actively pursue watching any specific game.

Of course, the people whom I play FF with declined to do so this year because of the protests.

Political shouting match? Who knows why they were down, assuming that info is correct. You really think the numbers went down THAT much because some players chose to do something as simple as kneeling during the National Anthem, which there is no reason to play before games? LOL
Simply, yes I do. Big Pete and Captain for 2.

Sports used to be an escape from life. Now it isn't. That turns some people off

I'd love to see an experiment -- show an NFL game on 2 channels -- one broadcast is purely focused on sport, the other includes all the politics. I bet 70%+ of viewers would pick the 1st one
I agree. Sports were once an escape from reality. I could watch a game and, for 3 hours, I could forget about the cares of the world. Now that diversion is gone. Left, right, center....I don't care what some millionaire ballplayer thinks about anything. Play the game and, if you must make a statement, do it outside the lines. I doubt that will happen and so I will find my diversion elsewhere. In a book. In a chess game. In a long walk in the woods.

Me, I think it is completely idiotic to stop watching sports because some people kneel at the start of the National Anthem. Totally idiotic and closed-minded. Can't imagine what other things people stop doing for some completely inconsequential reason.
Not saying that is the case with you. There are valid reasons to ratchet-down sports viewing - but kneeling players is not one of them.
I believe what turns people off is the lecturing and hypocrisy.

If you walked into a restaurant and the owner came over to your table and basically told you you were a bad person just because of your skin color, how would you feel? Ready for the daily special list?

Well, that is the message that many sports leagues are sending - telling their paying customers they are bad people. While at the same time, not living exemplary lives themselves.

If you walked into a restaurant and the owner came over to your table and basically told you you were a bad person just because of your skin color, how would you feel? Ready for the daily special list?

Well, that is the message that many sports leagues are sending - telling their paying customers they are bad people. While at the same time, not living exemplary lives themselves.
Truth.

@Grant Green question for you: what is the end game? What is the goal? What causes this to end?
The goal and end game is equal treatment for all people. Not too much different than for MLK. Things progressed due to his activism and hopefully things will progress further after the current activism.
If I knew what causes this to end, I would certainly tell the world about it.

I agree. Sports were once an escape from reality. I could watch a game and, for 3 hours, I could forget about the cares of the world. Now that diversion is gone. Left, right, center....I don't care what some millionaire ballplayer thinks about anything. Play the game and, if you must make a statement, do it outside the lines. I doubt that will happen and so I will find my diversion elsewhere. In a book. In a chess game. In a long walk in the woods.

I would argue that there were plenty of cares of the world broadcast to you during football games in your "bygone era," from the military complex that was celebrated in pre-game and half-time shows, to the frequent refrains of thanking god for allowing them to score that TD, to the commercials that touched on various real world causes, to on-field displays in furtherance of a cause du jour (the fight against breast cancer, for instance).

The salient point being, there have always been MANY things that drew you to remember the cares of the world during a sporting event. It was just regarding something with which you didn't take issue. THAT is the problem area. Not that you have to think about the cares of the world, but that you're confronted with cares with which you don't agree.

Additionally, as other folks have mentioned, I think a lot of these "I'm tuning out because ..." folks are just trying to make a statement on their way out, as they were looking for an excuse to get out. They've found other things to do. There's a bazillion different entertainment outlets at your fingertips nowadays. And little by little folks have been drifting away. Add to that that a large portion of following sports is the socialization aspect (see here, where folks came here to discuss sports, and now many don't really care about those sports, but just stay to talk to people), and with this pandemic, there's not much to pull them back in. You aren't getting together to watch games with family and friends, you aren't talking about the games/teams with your co-workers and buddies after they happen, etc.

So, as they're exiting the door, they're looking for a commonality with others leaving, so they say "it's all this politicizing!"

I'm white (very white, lol). I support the push for equal treatment/rights, but I have disagreements with various aspects of things like the BLM movement, or the riots/looting, etc.

I've watched sports in this day and age, and watched the allegedly offensive "in your face" preaching that gets brought up by folks who take issue with these political/social statements.

I've never once felt like they were telling me I'm a bad person, even when I don't agree with everything they say, or how they're presenting things.

I think the National Anthem before sporting events is silly, the flyovers, etc. are ridiculous, the folks giving religious "shout outs" or other affirmations are inappropriate, etc. But never once have I thought that I'm not going to watch the sport because of it, or boycott a particular player/team on which that player plays because they overtly stand for what I find nonsensical.

Why are you affected by these relatively fleeting messages that have popped up as late?

Last edited:
I’m getting to old for them to start out fully clothed. Can they start out half naked? That way I won’t fall asleep before they finish. 😂
RD had a great idea but all great ideas can be improved upon. How about 20% strip during the 1st qtr, 20% during the 2nd qtr, 20% during the half, 20% during the 3rd qtr, and 20% during the 4th. This would have everyone watching the entire game!

I'm white (very white, lol). I support the push for equal treatment/rights, but I have disagreements with various aspects of things like the BLM movement, or the riots/looting, etc.

I've watched sports in this day and age, and watched the allegedly offensive "in your face" preaching that gets brought up by folks who take issue with these political/social statements.

I've never once felt like they were telling me I'm a bad person, even when I don't agree with everything they say, or how they're presenting things.

I think the National Anthem before sporting events is silly, the flyovers, etc. are ridiculous, the folks giving religious "shout outs" or other affirmations are inappropriate, etc. But never once have I thought that I'm not going to watch the sport because of it, or a particular player/team on which that player plays because they overtly stand for what I find nonsensical.

Why are you affected by these relatively fleeting messages that have popped up as late?
Hypocrisy, lecturing, and free political advertising for a Marxist organization that promotes inequality at a scale of epic proportions.

The salient point being, there have always been MANY things that drew you to remember the cares of the world during a sporting event. It was just regarding something with which you didn't take issue. THAT is the problem area. Not that you have to think about the cares of the world, but that you're confronted with cares with which you don't agree.
Interesting, but you could ask my wife and my best friend and they would tell you that, as far as your posit applies to me, you could not be more wrong.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Actually, yeah, it is.

You'd be surprised (I'm guessing) how many people are sick to death of this BS. Might not be a good reason in your mind but it's a huge reason for a lot of people the NFL counts on to watch their watered down product.

They waved buh bye.

ADVERTISEMENT