ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Notes

Speaking of NFL notes, Josh Gordon was quoted today saying that the Browns have the best wide receiving core in the league. He must be practicing his comedic skills in case he gets thrown out of the NFL for real next time.

The Hack was released by Oakland. Not certain what happened or what his future plans are but best wishes and good luck to the him.

Speaking of NFL notes, Josh Gordon was quoted today saying that the Browns have the best wide receiving core in the league. He must be practicing his comedic skills in case he gets thrown out of the NFL for real next time.
Well, Josh Gordon was phenomenal before being suspensionded that last few years. in 2013, he had 87 catches for 1,600 yards and a 17.6 ypc average. And this summer, they signed Jarvis Landry, all-pro WR from Miami.

They also drafted a kid that would have been a first rounder but was suspended from college ball last year for some drug usage. His name is Antonio Callaway and he is getting rave reviews.

And, while Josh Gordon hasn't played much, Baker Mayfield told people he's not seen a wide receiver with those kinds of skill on this planet before. Dude is a freak.

So, my point is, accurate or not, this isn't the same WR corp the browns have had the last three years...totally different group.

Well, Josh Gordon was phenomenal before being suspensionded that last few years. in 2013, he had 87 catches for 1,600 yards and a 17.6 ypc average. And this summer, they signed Jarvis Landry, all-pro WR from Miami.

They also drafted a kid that would have been a first rounder but was suspended from college ball last year for some drug usage. His name is Antonio Callaway and he is getting rave reviews.

And, while Josh Gordon hasn't played much, Baker Mayfield told people he's not seen a wide receiver with those kinds of skill on this planet before. Dude is a freak.

So, my point is, accurate or not, this isn't the same WR corp the browns have had the last three years...totally different group.

Sounds like your WR corp is one toke away from being blown up.

Reactions: Obliviax
That’s two all pro WR and a rookie WR getting a lot of discussion.

Tyrod Taylor took the Bills to the playoffs with zero receivers. I not a fan of him but....if they let him play first..... the Browns are immediately better than 0-16

Could have had Taylor throwing to them and handing off to blocking phenom Saquan Barkley.

Reactions: Obliviax
That’s two all pro WR and a rookie WR getting a lot of discussion.

Tyrod Taylor took the Bills to the playoffs with zero receivers. I not a fan of him but....if they let him play first..... the Browns are immediately better than 0-16

Could have had Taylor throwing to them and handing off to blocking phenom Saquan Barkley.
totally agree....but their GM is not a fan of RB's having picked up an all-pro in the third round last year. In addition, they picked up Carlos Hyde who had two 900+ rushing seasons as well as Duke Johnson whom they love (third down guy). Finally, they drafter tOSU's Ward, a CB. Preliminary reports is that this kid has "it" and will be one of the best CB's in the league by next year baring injury. They are high on Taylor, at least his leadership skills. On Mayfield, they are cautiously optimistic. He's had some challenges picking up the NFL game but it is way early.

I believe they will regret passing on Barkley but, politically, they had to take a QB at #1.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
totally agree. But they drafted the best WR, when he's on the field, in the draft 4th round so it wasn't a huge gamble. Word is, if you can believe it, that Josh Gordon has seen the light and only has a couple of years to make enough money for the rest of his life. And, as a result, he's mentoring Callaway to not make the same mistakes. Its going to be a HR or a strikeout. Regardless all that, the coaches at Browns camp are smiling ear to ear (and their OC is Todd Haley, last five years with the Steelers, who knows something about WR's).

totally agree. But they drafted the best WR, when he's on the field, in the draft 4th round so it wasn't a huge gamble. Word is, if you can believe it, that Josh Gordon has seen the light and only has a couple of years to make enough money for the rest of his life. And, as a result, he's mentoring Callaway to not make the same mistakes. Its going to be a HR or a strikeout. Regardless all that, the coaches at Browns camp are smiling ear to ear (and their OC is Todd Haley, last five years with the Steelers, who knows something about WR's).
As a Steelers fan, I know about taking a risky WR that dropped in the draft. See Martavis Bryant and his suspensions. Also, don't get too excited about Todd Haley unless you're a big fan of the bubble screen.

Reactions: BBrown and Obliviax
As a Steelers fan, I know about taking a risky WR that dropped in the draft. See Martavis Bryant and his suspensions. Also, don't get too excited about Todd Haley unless you're a big fan of the bubble screen.

Haley is definitely frustrating at times...no doubt about that
I have mixed feelings on the Browns draft. I think passing on Saquon was idiotic and I think they took the 4th or even 5th best QB in the draft with the first pick. I understand the Ward pick but he has to be a top CB in the draft to be worthy of that pick. That said, they did much better as the draft went on. I like Hernandez more than Corbett but Corbett & Chubb as early second round picks had a lot of value. Antonio Callaway might never achieve anything in the NFL but with all the picks the Browns had I don't see an issue with them gambling on talent. Callaway has unlimited upside. JMO but gambling on a kid every once in a while on day 3 makes sense

all fair comments, but if the Browns approach that offense it would be nirvana.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
ADVERTISEMENT